one

what's better than i love you
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Chanyeol woke up with the incessant ringing of phone calls.

 

It was a harsh night for him, shutting himself in his room and burning the midnight oil to finish his term papers to be passed that afternoon. He never knew six in the morning would be the best time to rest his mind because one, his roommate is not around. With Jongin in their shared apartment, it will always be at war since he likes running across everything on his way. It’s just way too noisy with the sound of his housemate breaking either their appliances with his bones and two, he’s been working on that term paper for a week already, he knows he deserves to rest and sleep like a log already.

 

He just slept for only about half an hour and was drifting off to dreamland when his damn phone rang, thus his sleep is ruined. You cannot blame Chanyeol for answering with a pissed tone.“What?”

 

“You need to come home, Chan.”

 

The voice on the other line made Chanyeol jolt up from his comfortable bed. He looked at his screen to double check because it might be a blockmate calling but no – he doesn’t have friends in his block. He correctly remembers – it was Yura, his older sister calling.

 

“I’ve been calling you all this time and you weren’t picking up Chan! I tried calling your friend but he’s not answering either and this is an emergency! You need to come home. Right now.”

 

Home. For a moment, Chanyeol wanted to scoff. Home meant Korea. Korea wasn’t ever a home for him but he shrugged at the thought. It was unnecessary.

 

“Hey, Yoo, calm down. I’m having a hard time understanding you.”

 

The sound of her sister’s voice was worrying him so sleep and his tempting bed. Chanyeol grabbed his sweatpants on the floor quickly, sandwiching his phone between his ear and shoulder so he can multitask talking to his sister and wearing it. He can hear Yoora giving out exasperated sighs.

 

“Grandfather was rushed to the hospital. It was during a meeting with Prime Minister Han about the ascension of our father to the throne. You know how some of our people disliked him and the discussion became heated and all. I’m sorry I can’t talk a lot right now. Grandfather had a heart attack and is currently having his surgery. Before he was wheeled inside the E.R., he told me to ask you to come home. I’ve arranged a flight already. verything is all set okay? Just – please come home.”

 

“Okay. Don’t worry anymore, Yoo.”

 

“I can’t help it.” There was a big sigh on the other end of the line. Aside from being the King’s granddaughter, Yoora was also his most trusted secretary. Most of the people who works with her described her as placid but the Blue House representatives see her as an iron lady. That’s what she is to people she works with. Yoora has great dedication in helping the King with all his duties as ruler of the nation. Hearing her sigh and panic means a big thing for someone who doesn’t show emotions most of the time. Chanyeol had seen Yoora lose before. She’s a strong-willed woman but you can easily take her down by attacking her family. Chanyeol loved that character about her on how she puts the royal family first more than anyone. Even herself.

 

He cannot let his sister down during this time.

 

Chanyeol wasted no time in packing lightly for his sudden trip back home. He wouldn’t be needing to pack clothes since he can just ask someone in the Blue House to shop for him. He had his mind set that he wouldn’t be staying in Korea for a long period of time like a vacation or some sort. All he needed was his school stuff that is all kept in his external hard drive in case his professors would give him revisions about his papers. Despite of his huge height and weight, he was surprisingly swift. You wouldnt even know he’s around because he’s a light mover.

 

Chanyeol easily accomplished all the things he needed to do before taking a quick bath.

 

He can’ t leave without taking a bath especially when he’s set to go out. On top of that, he felt and smelt awful.

 

As an important member of Korea’s monarch, he should always care for his appearance. It was one of the lessons Yoora asked him to remember by heart. In the world he’s living in where everyone is watching, he has to be cautious, ready and appropriate. He can’t allow the people against the royal family to say something that could tarnish his name. One negative article about him is considered a scandal and everyone in the family would be gravely affected.

This is the reason why he can’t go out of their house without taking a shower even if he’s just going to buy something from the convistore unlike Jongin who got guts doing so.

Jongin, his sort of best buddy when he moved at Cambridge, is majoring in legal studies.

 

Just like him, Jongin was granted a scholarship at the prestigious Cambridge University but he lacked financial capabilities when it came to housing and other necessity. Chanyeol, a major in biological studies, always saw him napping at the university library. In Cambridge, when you’re a bio major aiming to enter med school, the library is your second home or sometimes the canteen. Chanyeol thought Jongin is a bear personified but he realized he was wrong because he also sees him working part time at a coffee shop he frequents when the university library is crowded and it’s too hard for him to concentrate. Jongin works day and night for his studies.

 

Since Jongin had this ability to befriend anyone, they instantly clicked. He was full of stories and it entertained Chanyeol a lot. The company made Chanyeol sane and less lonely for being away from his family and coping up with his inability to mingle with others.

After a month of being friends, Chanyeol offered to share his apartment with Jongin. It was impractical of Yoora to buy him a spacious apartment when he’s the only one living in it. A company wouldn’t hurt, plus, Jongin is a Korean like him who knows how to mingle and adjust with people. It wasn’t a bad thing for him.

 

Yoora opposed his idea, saying that it’s brash and it could be a reason for his unwanted exposure as a member of the royal family but despite all that, Chanyeol really wanted to help Jongin.

 

Jongin politely declined the offer, saying that he can survive and doesn’t want to be a bother to his friend yet, Chanyeol insisted.

 

“You can pay your rent once you’ve become a lawyer. For now, you can pay me by keeping the house clean… and I don’t know? Cooking meals?”

 

Jongin agreed.

 

They lived with those arrangements for four years, still with his identity hidden from the public and to his flatmate. Jongin never asked questions as to why his friend never had scarcity when it comes to money or share anything about his family aside from his sister, which is rarely mentioned in some occasions.

 

The soon-to-be-lawyer knew to ask the right questions. How was he? What would Chanyeol like for breakfast? All that type of questions a taciturn person like Chanyeol doesn’t find uncomfortable to answer. It was really comforting to be with Jongin who doesn’t pressure him in all the get to know antics.

 

Jongin was observant, he didn’t need to ask to know Chanyeol personally and had never become a threat in his daily life. The man lived quietly and retained his anonymity.

 

The identity as Prince Chanyeol of South Korea was never revealed to the public. It was what his father wanted after they became a target of the anti monarch. He’s enjoying it so far but he has never forgotten his duties even if the people he’s bound to serve doesn’t know how he looked like.

 

The pressure was lesser too and by hiding, he was able to achieve things without using his family background. It made him a little proud of himself when he passed, on the top of that, aced an exam for a prestigious med school all because of his hard work.

 

Med school. Who knew it would happen to be an arm reach for him? Chanyeol felt accomplished in his entire life. Just a few more interviews and he’ll finally live his dream.

 

When he’s done showering, his flat mate was just in time in arriving at their doorstep, wearing his dancing leotards and jeans.

Jongin, in his last year of college before entering law school, is a part time ballet instructor. He needs funds since law school is a bit pricey and the job pays him really well. When Chanyeol offered money, his flatmate politely declined. “I can still manage. My brother back in Seoul gives me enough. Don’t worry!” he said.

 

Chanyeol sighed with the sight of Jongin heading straight to their kitchen where he saw the bag of bread brought last night. His flatmate doesn’t stop eating.

 

His brain doesn’t know what to prioritize all of a sudden. It’s either to explain why he’s leaving or his discomfort with the latter’s get up. To be honest, Jongin had this international model stance but his get up right now seriously makes him a fashion terrorist.

 

“Woah. I just got here – what did I do? I swear, I didn’t eat your junks. I learned, Mr. Park.” Jongin started, putting his bag down on the floor which was instantly a big eyesore for Chanyeol.

 

The kid never learned to tidy things in front of a clean freak but he’s glad the man learned not to eat his precious foods. It was a mess that one time he did, earning a glare from Chanyeol for the whole day.
Poor Jongin was frightened to be either kicked on the or kicked out of the house.

 

Jongin didn’t noticed the backpack that Chanyeol placed on the sofa and it was only when he came back from the kitchen that he saw. “Where you goin? Staying over at Luhan’s?”

 

It felt like someone stabbed him a million times on his chest, Jongin wasn’t aware by speaking that name, it made Chanyeol ache inside his chest. The taller just stood there, recalling how he broke it off with Luhan.

 

It wasn’t a very good break up.

 

“Well, it’s good that you are getting along well again -” Jongin chided but Chanyeol was quick to cut him off as soon as he chomped a croissant in his mouth.

 

“We broke up. I’m flying to Korea today.” He mumbles, tapping the latter’s shoulder lightly.

 

With the sudden drop of news, Jongin wasn’t able to shut his mouth and the croissant he was nibbling fell down on the carpeted floor. He looked at Chanyeol who’s busy gulping down some pricey energy drink. “Man, drop bombs one by one? When did the two of you broke up? Why are you leaving? Is that why you’re leaving? Are you okay? And stop drinking energy drinks when you haven’t even slept! That’s bad for your body!”

 

Chanyeol immediately stopped drinking and got worried he might have bad palpitations. He’s sure he can’t rest once he arrives in Korea. “My grandfather had a cardiac arrest and my sister needs me. My family needs me.”

“And Luhan?”
“Something came up?”

“Jesus, what is that something that kept on coming at you? what the hell? give me useful answers!? I need to understand what is happening and why in the world am I hearing this now? Come on, Chanyeol! We could talk about it! Is that the reason why you were cooped up in your room for a week?”

 

Chanyeol was shocked to see the worry on his friend’s face. He was glad that at least one person is worried for him but it was best not to burden other people. “I was doing my thesis. I’m not sad over our break up, so calm down? For now, I need to catch my plane.”

 

“How can you even book a flight this easy? And you packed lightly! You still have dues right? Hey! You also have your interview? Uhm? This is really freaking me out and it’s not even my admission!”

 

Chanyeol gave him a grin and paced to get his bag. How delightful to see Jongin try not to rumble with his own words due to concern. “You’ll just miss me that’s why you’re freaking out. I’ll update you once I’ve arrived okay? Let’s talk about the other things next time, yeah? I need to go, really.”

 

Before Jongin could even utter his goodbye, Chanyeol was already out of their apartment.

 

The law student sighed. He’s used with his secretive housemate and there’s nothing he could do about that but he was damn worried. It made him a little bit at ease when Chanyeol told him he’ll call once he arrives in Korea. He rarely does that and as someone who has been with Chanyeol long enough, Jongin knows he wouldn’t forget what he said.

 

It was a moment of silence when Jongin noticed the quietness of their place. He plopped down on the couch and the TV, just to hear something and felt how boring it was without his housemate.

If Chanyeol was there, he would instantly start nagging how Jongin was wasting electricity because his focus was on his phone.

After checking his Tinder account, rejecting almost all of his matches, he diverted his undivided attention to a news site.

It wasn’t that hard to notice and get intrigued by the flashing bold and red headline.

 

South Korea’s Head of Monarch, King Hyunjo collapsed on a meeting because of an argument with regards to Crown Prince Jungsoo’s ascension to the throne: Royal family has now come to a mess

Jongin shakes his head with disappointment. “The royal family has always been messy, can’t they think of a good headline??”

*******

Chanyeol expected someone from the blue house to accompany him as soon as he set foot

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter