Snowflakes are so pretty, so are you

Between Snowflakes
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

DAY I

 

As my twenty-third birthday, which I celebrated in November, didn't turn well (it didn't take place because I didn't pass exams), when the opportunity came, I decided to take it back and go far, far away from my grumbling parents to rest and compensate for the lack of cake and twenty-three candles on it. I decided to go to the winter resort in Japan called Niseko which was recommended to me by my lovely uncle. I quickly booked a cottage in the area where I could relax and spend some time alone, and the next day I was in the queue to buy plane tickets.

 

Of course, it wasn't without biting comments, directed by my relatives. However, I didn't care, because after I passed all the tests, I could have a little breath. My mother suggested that I should stay in Seoul and sacrifice these two weeks off for a decent study. I expected that I would hear this kind of statement because I know how much she couldn't come to terms with the fact that I moved out of the house into a small studio apartment. She could not get over that she'd no longer have control over with who and where I was going, or whether I was learning enough hours. However, I was over 23 years old, odd jobs at a car wash and rented a small flat. I wanted to become independent and couldn't let my mother's artificial tears prevent me from doing so. She also needs to understand that I won't forever rely only on them.

 

In the evening before my winter trip, when all the necessary things I had already packed in my suitcase and the snowboard board stood on the frame, I visited my parents. Despite the fact that I wanted to be treated as an adult, not a child, I still loved them very much. So I took my mother to dinner at a nearby restaurant, where we had a long and honest conversation about, of course, my life and my future. I assured her dozens of times that the fact that I couldn't pass one exam (it was damn hard) doesn't mean that I'll immediately destroy my life and start to drink. I think it calmed her down a bit because, in the end, she accepted the decision I made and wished me safe fun on the slopes. I gave all of them a goodbye (immediately tossing my dog under their care for the time of my absence) and returned to my own apartment to get a night of good sleep because the next day I was waiting for a long journey.

 

Along with the pissing sound of my alarm clock, I dragged myself off the bed and went to take a quick, cold shower that helped me wake up. Two bites of the toast and three sips of tea later and at the door, I stood at seven o'clock in the morning. A quick trip to the airport has passed me by singing rock songs under my nose. I didn't have to wait long and after only forty minutes I found myself in the seat of a passenger plane. After three hours of calm flight, I finally landed in Sapporo! Now I had only got to Niseko and for the next four days, I'll be able to go crazy on the local slopes!

 

Earlier in Seoul, I got a rental car and according to the agreement, the car owner was waiting for me in the parking lot near the airport. I took the keys from him and thanking him for borrowing the car, I set off for the nearest exit to the highway. I drove peacefully because the traffic in this area wasn't the heaviest. Around two o'clock I was in a winter resort and I immediately liked the climate. The small buildings looked adorably wrapped in snow and the bent lanterns added charm to the town.

 

I parked at a small restaurant located in a quiet place in the center. Slowly, I began to feel hungry and decided to have a snack before I got to the cottage. However, before I went inside, I sent the cottage owner a message that I'd be there soon and that he could prepare the keys for me. Then I unfastened the seatbelts and went to the bar. It wasn't a crowded place, but the aroma of delicious food that floated in the air convinced me of the right choice. I ordered ramen with soy sprouts, sesame seeds, onions, and pork. Since the host still wasn't answering, I decided that I'd try to call, but this attempt also turned out to be a fiasco. My delicious soup appeared a minute later. I paid for a meal and left the restaurant. Honestly, I was getting stressed by this situation. I was in Japan, all alone, knowing only a few basic words and the owner of the house I hired, didn't pick up the phone.

 

I looked again at the watch that showed the third hour. I scratched my head thinking about what to do here. However, I quickly got an idea. Instead of wasting more time, I decided that it'd be better to use it in

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter