Without You (9)

Fast Break: Without You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 09 • When She Returns

 

“Wonyoung, wake up. We’re back.”

 

It’s been a year since she left to finish her high school abroad, and as what she have heard from Minjoo, the East high school basketball team rose to one of the best teams in the country, that the four of them is planning to go to the same university where their seniors went, to one of the Compass Universities. They had to return to Korea to formally announce that she is going to inherit the head position of the Jang Family, and that she’ll become the next CEO of the J Electronics, they also had to finish some papers that she needs to be able to continue studying abroad.

 

Wonyoung opened her eyes and sat upright as she waited for the car to stop on their front door. The door was opened for her and she made her way inside the old familiar house that she never wanted to stay in during her high school.

 

“Father, can I go for a walk? Don’t worry I won’t run.” Ever since she started following her father’s words, he slowly gave her freedom.

 

“Sure, make sure to be back before the sun goes down. Oh, we’re not coming back to L.A. You’re going to study here in Korea and you’re going to act as the family head.”

 

“I will be sure to be back, thank you for telling me about it.” She was sure that they wouldn’t probably be around this area, it wouldn’t hurt if I would go around and try to remember everything that happened on the best year of my life. On her denim shorts and white blouse, with white converse sneakers, she decided to walk around the place very close to her sophomore year self.

 

••

 

...A year ago, when the seniors got an all-in scholarship at the University branch of their high school, Sakura went back to Japan to tend to her family matters, but is said to come back during the next semester, and Yena and Yuri became each other’s again. However, the scholarship was conditional, they could only use it as long as they would still play for the basketball team, and if they could maintain their positions as starter players or regulars. On the High School branch, Nako became the Captain and Hitomi became the vice captain. They were told that on their graduation, the East High School basketball team would end due to the lack of member applications. They were also not able to stop it from closing even though they won again in the Nationals.

 

“Yujin, are you going to take the scholarship?” Minjoo asked, behind her was the senior who’s been courting her since the past year and is currently a university student, Kang Hyewon.

 

“Yeah, I’ll take it. I really don’t have a choice since I failed the exams on the other universities.” The graduation ceremony just ended, everyone from her sophomore year was there—except for Wonyoung. They took photos, everyone was happy aside from Yujin who immediately took her things and went home.

 

Yujin decided to walk her way back, she didn’t want to ride the car back to her family’s house. She wanted to be alone by herself tonight. She looked at the sky, Jang Wonyoung, how have you been? She chuckled, I still don’t understand why you left without telling me what happened. Do you know how heartbroken I was? It came to the point when I was called merciless or a demon by those we fought with during tournaments. All because I was sending my frustrations on you during games. She passed by the basketball court where they ran into the North High players before.

 

She remember she had a basketball on her duffle bag, she went in and started making a few shots. But when she stood at the center, she started crying. I’m going to see you again. No matter what happens.

 

••

 

“Chaewon, how ‘bout we play a little game? Y’know, on the court near the old shared house.”

 

“Great idea. It’s also something good to celebrate that we're still playing in the same team… but different strings.”

 

On their way to the basketball court, they saw a familiar figure. It was the usual ten of them, the college sophomores were still playing under Kwon Eunbi, who is still yet to graduate. The freshmen, Nako and the others were on the second string and is yet to be promoted to the first string.

 

“, I forgot something on the fast food, I’ll be back real quick. Just go ahead and play first.” Yujin turned her back and ran towards the burger shop they came from.

 

The ten of them stopped when they stood in front of the basketball court, there was a familiar figure standing at the center, making the same familiar stance they wished they had during the nationals tournament two years ago.

 

Yuri opened the door and stood behind her, attempting to steal the ball. In front of the familiar face was Minjoo who stood in front of her to try and block her shot.

 

“Chaewon, triple team!” Yuri commanded.

 

“I missed doing something like this.” She ran towards the other side, and all three of them were guarding her.

 

Hitomi threw her bag aside and removed her team jacket, she rolled her track pants up to her knees and ran the area near on the left side of the court, two to three steps behind the three point line.

 

“Hey! Pass!” She raised her hand. The familiar girl’s lips curved into a smile, she passed the ball to Hitomi who was able to get the three’s attention. The familiar girl then ran towards the position parallel to Hitomi’s and raised her hand to signal that she needs the pass, which Hitomi gladly did.

 

The familiar girl, took a step back and made a jump shot.

 

“It’s been a while Jang Wonyoung.” Yuri greeted.

 

Wonyoung, who was now sweating greeted back.

 

“It’s nice seeing you again, captain.” She smiled. On the entrance, stood a shocked An Yujin. “J-Jang Wonyoung…?” As soon as their eyes met, Wonyoung ran towards her and pulled her into a hug.

 

“Yujin! I’m back!”

 

“Wonyoung… I don't understand… what is all this…?”

 

••

 

“I have thought of something that can damage him.” she just listened on what her father had to say, “It's something that can harm both sides. I thought of this for a while now, and I have consulted your mother.” He took a deep breath before continuing.

 

“If we were to do this, the Jang and An would have to fall off from their thrones. Since it's for your happiness, and we can still do something as the An House… We're going to give up the An Security Services, and our every business. We'll change family name, and continue operating in the underworld.” he placed his cigarette on the ashtray, “He told me that if I wanted to push through with the engagement, he'll reveal the dark secrets of the An House. The authorities we know of are more than willing to help us. Since that information he has on his hands is something that can affect some of the politicians.”

 

Yujin's eyes widened.

 

“I'm going to talk to him later, since it looks that annoying man would go back here for some papers he left.”

 

“Can I be the one to talk to him?”

 

Her father sighed, “So you want to do it yourself? I'll let you do it.”

 

“I'll try to do it without damaging both sides. I just need you to lend me a lot of men—and money, since I could feel that this might become something dangerous.”

 

••

 

“So that’s what happened.” Yuri nods as she finished eating her burger, everyone in their table was nodding to Wonyoung’s explanations of what happened during the championship game that she wasn’t able to attend.

 

“That’s why I really had a hard time telling it to everyone. I can only tell Minjoo that time because I thought she’ll be the only one who can understand it… I was also afraid that it might get bigger.” She continued.

 

“At least you got to tell it to us now.” Yujin placed her arm around Wonyoung, she then placed a peck on her right cheek.

 

“Yeah, Yujin’s right. Wonyoung. We were really worried on the day of the game. We thought something might have happened to you. Yujin wouldn’t even speak that time.” Hitomi placed the cup of milkshake she just drank on, which then belonged to Nako. “Hitomi—urgh.” She mumbled.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter