Without You (8)

Fast Break: Without You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 08 • She’s Gone (2)

 

… Week before the Championship game.

 

“Sir. The arrangement has already been called off. Should I call Miss Yujin to tell her about it?” A lean looking man in a black suit reported. The middle-aged man wearing a black band collared shirt, with red slacks and red vest placed down the file folder he was holding earlier.

 

“No, I’ll be the one to tell her about it.” Who would’ve known that Jang-annoying old man could do something as nasty as this? He sighed as he looked at the papers which are contents of a brown envelope delivered to him just this morning. Those were letters consisting of data that he knew he had buried in the past. I know your secrets, and what the An House have been hiding. Call off the engagement if you don’t want this to spread around the country. A letter written by pasting cut outs of magazine and newspaper letters.

 

How do I even tell Yujin about this problem? I'm sorry Yujin, I have to save our family so I had to call off the engagement.

 

••

 

… Day before the Championship game.

 

“Goeun, I’m sorry, did you wait?” Yuri wore a cream colored sweater, white collared blouse and her denim jeans. She just entered the café that is as if

 

“No, I just arrived here.” Goeun, dressed in a high waist buttoned trouser with an oversized pink blouse tucked in on her trousers, she pulled out a brown envelope from her bag. “Here’s what I got.” She whispered.

 

Yuri didn’t open the envelope once she felt its thickness. “I’m sure you’ve read its contents, could you make it short for me?” She grabbed the glass of water on the table and took a sip from it.

 

Goeun raised her brows before she started talking. “The death of her parents a few years ago was an accident. In this envelope are what the victims looked like when they were recovered. A large boulder fell on their car—” before she was even finished, Yuri cut her. “Please don’t say anything more.”

 

“It’s your choice if you’re going to show this file to Choi Yena. I did your request, so I assume we’re friends now?” Yuri grabbed the envelope and hid it on her bag. She stood up then hugged Goeun. “Thanks a lot, I’m leaving now.” Yuri then ran out of the restaurant.

 

Yuri, I have no chance but you’re still so cute. I’m happy that you finally found the answer to the question that you long wanted to ask Yena.

 

••

 

“Oh, Minjoo. You’re here too?” Chaewon was holding a four paper bags of clothes as she entered the mall’s elevator. There was a single person inside, Kim Minjoo.

 

“Yep, I bought a few clothes and new shoes. Mine’s gotten too old, I had to buy a new one.”

 

“Is that so?”

 

As soon as the elevator closed, they felt a bit awkward with each other. It was quiet until they heard a weird sound. The elevator seemed broken.

 

“What’s happening?” Chaewon dropped her paper bags and started pressing the emergency button.

 

“I think the elevator broke…?” Minjoo mumbled, Chaewon exclaimed. “Oh no, this can’t be!”

 

Buttons weren’t working. Chaewon had no choice but to sit on the floor, Minjoo then followed. They were sitting face to face with each other. Minjoo had her eyes on Chaewon, and Chaewon evading her eyes.

 

Silence continues, Chaewon looked at the ceiling until the lights went dim. Minjoo let out a short scream, that startled Chaewon. “Are you alright? The lights just dimmed. There’s nothing to worry about.” She assured her without even sparing a glance for her.

 

Minjoo stared at Chaewon and observed what she wore, under her black zip-up hoodie, is an oversized baby blue colored, and white striped mandarin collar blouse tucked in on her black skinny jeans. She wore a green converse high cut sneakers. If we were dating then we could’ve made the perfect couple. She then looked at her own clothing, oversized blue and white striped sweater and high waist denim shorts, then an all black vans sneakers. I’m already wearing a sweater and it’s still so cold.

 

Chaewon noticed how Minjoo kept on touching her shoulders, sliding her hands up and down as if she was cold. “Are you cold?” She asked.

 

“Well, yeah. Don’t worry I can manage.” Minjoo was startled when she saw Chaewon stand up to remove her hood. “Take it, I’m not feeling cold anyway.” She said, sitting back again from where she was sitting earlier.

 

The deafening silence came back, Chaewon sighed and initiated a conversation.

 

“Minjoo, what did you like about me?” She knew it was a bad thing to ask, but she did anyway.

 

“I liked you as you are. Just like that time when you were going in and out of the South High School just because you were courting coach, I never realized that I slowly fell for you as I saw you giving your full efforts.” She chuckled, “This is really weird but, I wanted to be Coach Kwon that time. Watching you as I fall really helped me move on from Yujin.” Minjoo added as she smiled at Chaewon who looked guilty as she stared back at her.

 

“I… I’m sorry.” Chaewon mumbled.

 

“No, I shouldn’t be saying these things. You’re already dating her. I’m in no place to fall for you even further.”

 

“It’s my fault, I shouldn’t have asked you that question.” Chaewon rubbed the back of her neck as she looked down on the floor.

 

“I was wrong to not tell you that those days when I invite you to eat after our trainings are dates in disguise. I kept those pictures we took on my phone, thinking that one day, my dream of going out with you would come true and I would use those photos during anniversaries.” Chaewon felt the pain that Minjoo went through just from hearing her voice. “To be honest, I was even praying back then. That you and Coach won’t be together again, so I could date you. And you’ll be happy. I’m sorry, that was weird, creepy and selfish. But what could I do? I’m just so in love with you, I couldn’t even hold it in.” Minjoo then burst out in laughter. Trying to hide the pain she’s been holding in.

 

“Chaewon, I still love you.” She continued. Still trying to change her mind.

 

Chaewon forced a smile, “I’m really sorry, I can’t accept—” Minjoo screamed.

 

“AAAAAAAH.” The elevator started moving again.

 

“This isn’t supposed to happen.” She shook her head. “Chaewon, I can’t accept your feelings. I’m sorry.” As soon as the doors opened, she ran outside.

 

“Minjoo!” Chaewon shouted, she almost left her shopping bags. After a few walks, she bumped into Eunbi.

 

“Chaewon, I’ve been waiting for you. Let’s go.”

 

On the other hand, as Minjoo ran inside the mall randomly, someone caught her hand and pulled her to stop. It was Kang Hyewon.

 

“Minjoo!” She pulled her back as she tried to escape. “Hyewon let me go!” Minjoo tried slipping her wrist from Hyewon’s grasps. But she was stronger, Hyewon successfully pulled her towards her and held both her shoulders.

 

“Are you crying?” She asked. Minjoo didn’t answer. The answer was obvious anyway. Why did I even bother to ask?

 

Hyewon sighed heavily, looking side to side as the people passing by looked at them, who’re as if frozen in the middle the halls, with boutiques on the side.

 

“Minjoo, listen to me.” Hyewon said, still hesitating whether or not she would tell her feelings at this time.

 

“Kim Minjoo I like—”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter