Without You (2)

Fast Break: Without You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 02 • A Piece's Wrong Move

 

The buzzer sounded, screams of fangirls and students shipping the former South high school princess, Kim Minjoo and the East High's Prince, An Yujin, filled the whole gymnasium. Every player on court was surprised, every single player on that court knows about An Yujin's engagement to Jang Wonyoung. All of them stood surprised as they looked at Yujin and Minjoo on the floor with their lips on each other’s.

 

“Yujin, are you alright?” Wonyoung was the last one to see what happened. Her eyes enlarged at the sight of Yujin and Minjoo, and the loud cheerings of the students and fangirls, there were also a few sounds of cameras blending in with the screams.

 

“Oh my god! It's my ship! They're really sailing!”

 

“Jinjoo let's get it!”

 

Yujin immediately stood up and helped Minjoo up. Wonyoung bit her lower lip seeing how the student body supports the two, she forced a smile and continued running towards Yujin with a towel and a bottle of water.

 

“Wonyoung, listen i—”

 

“It was an accident, right?”

 

“Yeah… it is…”

 

“Don't worry, you didn’t mean it, right?” She continued showing her fake smile. I'm actually jealous to death but I have to hold it in, or Yujin might think bad of me. I don't want to lose her. Wonyoung handed her the bottle and towel, she hurriedly but quietly went back beside Eunbi after she heard the rude shouts of the fangirls with “What the heck, Giant! Move away, we can't see Jinjoo!” It hurts her so much.

 

“Minjoo, you alright?” Yujin asked, in which Minjoo answered with a nod. She offered her hand to help her get up.

 

Am I… falling for Yujin again? No, stop Minjoo. She’s already got Wonyoung. You don’t have a place in her heart. Seeing the hand in front of her, she closed her eyes and stood up by herself.

 

“Yeah, let’s go ahead and change.”

 

•••

 

“Eunbi, let’s go on a date.” Chaewon sat beside Eunbi’s swivel chair. Her older girlfriend didn’t even look at her, “I’m sorry, I can’t. I’m busy.” She continued typing on her laptop. Chaewon forced a smile, and turned Eunbi’s swivel chair to face her. It’s been a two weeks since they transferred, we haven’t had those dinners for a month already. 

 

“You’ve been declining my every invitation, are you avoiding me?” Chaewon asked as she looked into her eyes.

 

“It’s not that, Kim Chaewon. I’m busy making strategies and possible plays for our team.” She was about to touch her cheeks, but she quickly stood up.

 

“I got it, I’m going home.” She grabbed her jacket on the bed and went out of the room.

 

I knew it, maybe our relationship wouldn’t work out, considering our . Should I try to talk to her, or should I just wait a little ‘till she gets in university? But maybe… she’ll break up with me sooner or later. Eunbi sighed heavily before going to bed, I should ask her out tomorrow. Before closing her eyes, she thought of things they could do tomorrow. It was a special day for sports course students after all, they don’t have academic classes on that day. She decided to give her players a six hour training, from twelve to five at most.

 

On the other room was Nako, and Minjoo, Hyewon was supposed to be with them but for some reason she’s still out. Since Eunbi’s unit had three rooms, of course the spacious Master’s bedroom went to the owner, and the two other medium sized rooms went to some of her players. Sakura and Chaeyeon in a single room, the rest occupied the last one.

 

“Minjoo, are you possibly thinking about what happened earlier?” Nako asked, she was on the bed beside Minjoo’s. She sat on the swivel chair on the table beside them.

 

“Yeah. Are you thinking about how cute your Miku is right now?” Minjoo answered, still lying on the bed.

 

“Oh, nice guess.” Nako chuckled and turned her chair to face Minjoo. “Did you realize that you still have the same feelings for Yujin? I can’t stop you this time if you want to steal her away from her bride-to-be. But think about what the other party would feel if you did things that aren’t supposed to be done.” She added.

 

“No, I have moved on since I helped out the East during the Compass. I just felt as if my feelings came back. But don’t worry, I have someone I like right now.” Minjoo assured Nako before she hid under her blanket to sleep.

 

•••

 

“I’m so happy! No academic classes!” Yujin jumped on the court happily.

 

“Today’s training is only until five. I have plans so we can’t train until seven.” Eunbi explained, Chaewon just nodded in agreement then went to the changing room along with the eleven others. Eunbi sat in the waiting on the benches. She opened her bag beside her, she pulled out a small notebook. I’m sure she’ll like it. Eunbi smiled.

 

She heard the sound of a familiar door opening, not again. Eunbi sighed heavily as she saw the bleachers get filled by fangirls from other clubs that did their training during the early morning. When the players got out, Wonyoung started keeping herself away from Yujin again. Yujin didn’t let her away this time, she grabbed her hand and walked together with her. But Wonyoung immediately pulled her hand away from hers.

 

Yujin, stay with Minjoo just this time. She mouthed.

 

Yujin’s eyes widened. “Wonyoung, what are you talking about?” she asked.

 

“Please, stay with her.” Wonyoung smiled at her and ran towards the team given to her.

 

They were split into two teams again, the red team, Jang Wonyoung, Choi Yena, Kim Chaewon, Lee Chaeyeon, and Yabuki Nako. On the yellow team, An Yujin, Kim Minjoo, Honda Hitomi, Kang Hyewon, and Miyawaki Sakura. Jo Yuri became the referee.

 

During the jump ball, Wonyoung wasn’t able to get the ball. Yujin immediately passed the ball to Hyewon who immediately made a three-point shot. Today’s training was quite intense, they were playing as if they were enemies, everyone was on their high energies except for one player—Jang Wonyoung. She wasn’t playing properly, she jumps late, and she can’t even block a simple shot. There was something wrong with her.

 

It must be that. Eunbi thought. But if she wants to play in the Nationals, and she can’t even overcome something this petty, or this team can’t even do something—then I won’t give them some of the new teamplay.

 

•••

 

The last ones to leave the gymnasium was Chaewon and Eunbi. Chaewon had her hair at braided twin tails, and her team jacket fully zipped. She wasn’t wearing the track pants because she didn’t feel like it. On her back was her big mint green duffle bag. Eunbi was wearing her usual black and yellow track suit, with the track pants’ lower half rolled under her knees, a white and blue messenger bag behind her. Her black hair was down, and she was looking excited, opposing to Chaewon’s bored face.

 

Both of them were thinking of completely different things.

 

Today, I have decided. I’ll finish everything. At the first place, I already knew that this won’t work out. We’re adoptive cousins, one way or another it would look improper to our family.

 

Today, I have decided. I’ll catch up to what we missed.

 

Eunbi was jotting notes on her phone, probably putting additions to what she have observed during the game earlier. We’re yet to arrive, I’m going to finish this by the time we arrive at the place. She quickly typed the notes. On the pedestrian lane, she didn’t notice the truck who was probably on its top speed. Eunbi already took a step on the lane. Chaewon noticed the truck, Eunbi just noticed the truck by its lights, and she just froze.

 

Chaewon dropped her bag ran towards Eunbi and pulled her back to the sidewalk, the truck passed. Chaewon had Eunbi on her arms, she was hugging her tightly. Eunbi can hear her younger girlfriend trying to catch her breath on her ear.

 

“Eunbi! Can you put your phone aside when you’re with me!?” Chaewon exclaimed, from a hug, she now has her hands on her shoulders.

 

“H-Huh…? What’s with you?”

 

Chaewon bit her lower lip. She looked at her side and sighed heavily. “You said you’re going to treat me today, but why are you on your phone? You almost got yourself killed!” She looked at her eyes, she was worried.

 

“Eunbi, I think it’d be better to put a space between us.” She said those between her breaths. “I mean, I’m sure you know about it. How our relationship wouldn’t work out because of our gap? I understand. I know this is what you wanted too. That’s why you’ve been avoiding all my invitations, right?”

 

“Chaewon, it’s not like that! What are you talking about? Are you breaking up… with me?”

 

Chaewon finally loosened her grip on her shoulders. She quietly took the duffle bag on the pavement. “I’m heading home.” She said before walking away. She left her now-ex lover near the pedestrian lane. She was walking fast, trying to move far away from her. I promise I won't hurt you, or use you to my advantage—Chaewon, you’re being funny. You just hurt her. On her way to the train station, she was forcing herself to smile, ignoring the tears rolling down her cheeks, she didn’t want to do it, she never wanted to. Chaewon decided to calm herself on a café near the station.

 

“Welcome Miss—Oh, Chaewon?” It was Minjoo.

 

“One Americano. I’ll sit over there.” Chaewon ignored her greeting and immediately walked towards her chosen table, Minjoo shook her head and went to the café’s barista.

 

By the time her order was already prepared, she had already stopped crying. She was just eavesdropping on the couple of school girls talking on the table beside hers.

“Recently, I’ve been really interested in Compass Sister Schools or something, I really like East’s Kim! Aww, she’s so pretty and great!”

 

Chaewon’s ears enlarged, hearing about East’s Kim on the other table. They must be talking about me. She took out her mirror to look at herself, my eyes doesn’t look swollen, I still look pretty, yes. I could take photos with them. She totally forgot that there are two Kim’s on her team now.

 

“Yes! East’s Kim! Oh my, she’s so pretty and gorgeous. She plays so well, aw. I’ll definitely support Kim Minjoo on the nationals!”

 

“Yes, girl! Kim Minjoo’s the real deal!”

 

Oh, it’s not me. She nodded as Minjoo placed her order on her table. As I thought, putting the new players on the sports’ course website, and doing training on the basketball court near the convenience store is really a bad idea.

 

“L

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter