Without You (7)

Fast Break: Without You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 07 • She’s Gone (1)

“Yujin, I’m sorry.”

The moment she heard the entrance’s door close, she immediately stood up from her futon. Yujin grabbed the first team jacket she saw when she stood up, it was hung on the couch, and she picked her team track pants from her futon and hurriedly placed one leg at a time. Before heading out, she grabbed her phone beside her pillow then made her way to the door.

She saw it with her own eyes, Wonyoung was inside a black car. She was sitting on the back seat with her face looking forward. Wonyoung, you can’t do this. You promised. You freaking promised. She clenched her fists, as the car started to move.

“Of course, I’ll be there. We’ll win and get the trophy together!”

Then what the heck was that? A lie? I won’t let you off this time, Jang Wonyoung.

She took the first bicycle she could ever see—Yena’s bicycle. Seeing that the car have already been so far, she immediately started going after it. Pedaling as if she had no game later that day. Yujin pedaled and moved faster than the motorcycle she passed by as she pedaled her way to be able to reach Wonyoung’s car.

“Jang Wonyoung!” Yujin shouted as she saw that the car was within her reach. The windows wouldn’t open, she tried again.

“Jang Wonyoung, damn it! Answer me! You liar!”

The car went even faster. She stopped pedaling.

“Jang Wonyoung, how could you?”

An Yujin stood at the side walk, looking at the car slowly disappearing out of her sight.

••

 

“Foul, black number ten. An Yujin.” It was her fourth foul.

Yujin slowly made her way to the bench. She was replaced by Huh Yunjin in the game, it was the finals game.

Yena noticed how down she was, their opponent wasn’t particularly strong—but they were able to take control of the game because of the negative atmosphere that the East had on them, the gap as of now was quite big, 47-12. Yuri, Yena, Chaeyeon and Chaewon were able to hold them in. But Yujin being removed from their game was something unprecedented. Her eyes were puffy, her teammates can’t even play in their top game with her acting strange, and with Wonyoung not being around during the championship game.

Yuri bit her lower lip, she felt powerless. Why am I even the captain if I can’t bring them up? Our opponent got into the championship league by luck, and they aren’t as strong as those they played with before. Yena’s also… being too cold lately… She took a deep breath. Eunbi then issued a time out when Yuri made a signal with her hands.

“EAST HIGH SCHOOL! THE SCHOOL OF THE COMPASS WHERE THE SUN RISES!”

Why the heck is she singing the school hymn? Eunbi was dumbfounded on what Yuri started doing.

“! What the heck are you doing, team?! Aren’t we East High School players? The students from the Compass School where the sun rises?! Why the heck are y’all not giving it your all!?  What is the reason why y’all are holding back!? Our opponent is doing their best to win this game but we aren’t even taking them seriously!” she shouted.

I see, so that’s what she’s getting at. Eunbi sighed, she then smiled. These girls really remind me of my batch.

“An Yujin, you better watch how we win this game. I know you’re sad about her disappearance, I understand that. Leave this game to your seniors! We’re going to win this without your goddamn height! We’re strong too!” Yuri sounded as if she was on the verge of crying, “We swore to give it our all no matter how strong the enemy is, we can’t just… invalidate their efforts.” Nako sat beside Yujin, she was smiling at her.

“An Yujin, you better pull yourself up. Yuri’s strength is about to run out. You know she can’t play for three quarters straight.” Yena stood up from the bench after emptying her tumbler of water, she patted Yujin’s head and messed her hair. She pulled her close and whispered to her ear. “To be honest, I’m about to let go, but I can’t do that. We’re in a game, I have to set aside the matters that aren’t basketball. I’m going to give the East High’s sun the best ending gift.” Yena smiled at her before turning her back to run after her teammates who went back to the court.

Huh Yunjin was replaced by Kang Hyewon. They were going to attempt the unpredictable play that Chaewon made for the Compass tournament, a team that has three all-rounders. The current line-up for the seventh minute of the second quarter was, Kang Hyewon, Choi Yena, Jo Yuri, Kim Chaewon, Lee Chaeyeon. It was an all-senior team.

I can’t lose here. Hyewon tried to pass through her keen opponent who was guarding her, trying to steal the ball from her. She copied Kim Chaewon’s move, she took a step back and made a jump shot. It smoothly went in. The opposing team attempted a fast break, but Yuri was able to successfully steal the pass.

“Lee Chaeyeon!” She passed the ball to Chaeyeon who was ready to take the ball mid-air and to slam it inside the hoop.

Once again, the battle of rebounds and steals started. During the tenth second of the ninth minute, the opponent point guard got the ball.

Ugh, that annoying cockroach got the ball again. It’ll be hard to score— Chaewon saw something different with the ball’s direction, it was out of the receiving player’s range. The player who passed the ball soon shouted, “Oh god, I’m sorry.” It was a strong pass, one of the tricks that their opponent has on their sleeves.

I can’t waste the last thirty seconds. Yuri came running after the ball, she jumped from the line, to try and keep the ball in play. She slapped the ball hard to pass it over to Chaewon. She didn’t care if she’ll crash on the benches, for a moment she felt the time move so slow. Jo Yuri, are you even doing the right thing? Look at you, are you going to leave the game to your teammates? As she was looking at the ceiling, she was about to close her eyes until she heard a familiar shout.

“YURI!” Yena grabbed her hand before she even crashed into the benches, she pulled her back, and instead, it was Yena who crashed hard on the benches.

“Yena…?” She sat on the floor frozen, the injured Yena trying to stand up. Chaeyeon made her way towards Yena to ask. “Choi Yena, are you alright?”

“Yeah, I’m perfectly fine.” Her smile faded as she fell unconscious on the floor.

The second quarter ended with 47-17.

“Miyawaki Sakura, in. Kim Minjoo, in. Jo Yuri, out. Come with Yena to the clinic, Sakura play as the point guard.”

By the end of the third quarter, they have successfully closed the gap without the opposing team scoring for once. The line-up felt unfair since four of them were once known as the monsters of South High School and St. Maria Girls Middle School’s Titania is also playing. The scores were 47-45.

 

••

“What the heck is with this Gun High School? Why did they started exerting a lot of effort near the end of the game?” from the bleachers, Murase Sae observed how East High School's opponent, Gun High School, started to strengthen their moves during the third quarter.

 

“Sae, that's how they play.” Shiroma Miru sighed, “but at this rate because East's line up is too… how do I put this…? Powerful? Gun will lose.” She explained.

 

“Look, East's switching players? An Yujin?” Miru was surprised. “Why is Coach Kwon making her play?” She was confused.

 

“If coach makes her play even if she already has four fouls, then she must really trust her that much.” Sae explained, “Of course, I used to play under her. So I know a lot of things. It’s not like I used to have a crush on her or something.” She added.

 

“I never asked about how you see her.” Miru sighed. “Now they have two power forwards on court, this should be exciting. It’s the monster, and future monster.”

 

“Jurina, isn’t that Murase and Shiroma?”

 

“Oh,” Miru clicked her tongue before turning to look at the obvious person who tapped her shoulder. “Oh yeah, Hello.” Miru greeted.

 

“It’s great to see you cheering for your old teammates.” Jurina smiled at Miru who just shook her head.

 

“First of all, I didn't go here to cheer for them. Second, I went here to see if they could win it since I’ve heard about the new Jang Family Head leaving the country. I never knew that the brilliant Fast Break from that semi-finals game was the first and last time they’ll get to use it.” Miru explained.

 

“So you also got the news?” Jurina chuckled, “I was quite surprised that she’s willing to do that for her team. And that level of trust, she believes that they can win it. Should I do something?” She playfully hummed and sat beside Miru.

 

“Jurina, don’t use your airline authority—Ugh. I’m too late.” Aoi was about to call her off.

 

“Murase, how many minutes before the game and announcement ends?” She asked.

 

“Around thirty to forty minutes?” Sae answered, “Hey! What was that for—”

 

Jurina dialled a number on her phone and she quickly went to the hallways.

 

••

 

I have to temporarily forget something that isn't about basketball. She told herself, Forget about Wonyoung just this one time. Yujin stepped on the court.

 

“Yujin, if you get another foul you’ll be out. Be careful.” Eunbi patted her shoulder after she whispered.

 

“I know. This is the last quarter, I’ll make sure that we’ll win.”

 

As soon as the game resumed, she was marked by the Gun High team captain, Cho Kahyeon.

 

“Where is Wonyoung, why is she not playing?” She asked.

 

“I don’t know where the heck did that giant hide herself.” Yujin sighed, and received a pass from Sakura. “Don’t try to search for her, focus on the game.” She took a deep breath before doing a crossover dribble, Yujin was able to pass through her. Kahyeon dropped on the floor after Yujin passed.

 

She was then surprised by the sound of the hoop, Yujin just slammed the ball in.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter