Without You (4)

Fast Break: Without You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 04 • We Won’t Make It

 

How did it turn out to this? An Yujin wiped the sweat that rolled from her temples down to her lips with her arm. She looked at the group of students wearing white track suits with a small right triangle emblem on its left chest, some had purple ones, and some had green. Behind their white team jacket was a SAKAMICHI WOMEN’S UNIVERSITY printed on it. The ones who wore the green emblems had their sleeves rolled until their elbows, and the lower halves of their white track pants rolled below their knees. Everyone was pretty, including that one member who looked like their ace.

 

They were effortlessly playing them in the vacant basketball court a few steps near the inn they were staying in. The girls who wore white track suits didn’t even looked tired after having just the first three minutes of their game. They were smaller than Yujin and Wonyoung but they can’t even block their shots, Kwon Eunbi just arrived from the convenience store, she looked at them in shock, she arrived a bit late after going to a convenience store to charge her phone.

 

“I am Shiraishi Mai. I’m the vice-captain of the Sakamichi Women’s University Basketball team. A graduating college student.” The girl who introduced herself as Shiraishi Mai, behind her was a girl a few centimeters taller than her, probably as tall as Kim Minjoo.

 

“Hirate Yurina, Sakamichi Women’s University High School Basketball Team vice-captain. Sophomore.” The short haired girl named Hirate Yurina took a step forward and looked at the foreign team standing in front of them, as if looking down at the fact that they’re already having a hard time playing with them with just three minutes. “I see, it’s the new team from the compass, how funny the compass is blooming in South Korea, but their Japanese team is going down real fast, they couldn’t even pass the first round of Inter-high.” She added with a smirk on her bored face.

 

“I’d like to see if it’s true. Let’s continue this game—with my great seniors since you’re going to play with East High’s Kazoo.”

 

“It’s executor, during my time I’m the core member and the one who carry outs everything. Without me, the team play is bound to be unsuccessful.”

 

It was just the first day of training and they already ran into a problem.

 

•••

 

A few days ago, before Yujin showed the team the tickets, there was Yabuki Nako getting her on-off girlfriend, Tanaka Miku, in the airport. Their whole day was all smiles, and happiness in the amusement park until the night came and they had their dinner, Nako spent a lot just to get a reservation on the high class Japanese restaurant, she knows it’s nothing because her family is rich, but since she is about to inherit the company, every coin counts. She thought.

 

“Nako, why don’t you just come back to the Japanese branch? You can play basketball in our home country too…”

 

“Miku you know I can’t do that. I’m finally playing in the Nationals for the second time, I plan to finish my high school here, playing in the Nationals.” Nako smiled at Miku.

 

“Let me ask you something, basketball or me? If you choose basketball, then you’re breaking up with me, if you choose me, then you’re coming back with me to Japan tomorrow.” Miku placed her chopsticks down and looked at Nako.

 

“Miku, don’t do this to me.” Nako tried to hold her hand, but she quickly evaded hers. “You very well know that I already made friends here, and it would be a waste to leave at this time of the year. I’m a starter player for our team, can you be more considerate about me?” she pleaded.

 

Miku sighed and stood up. “Then what about me, Nako. When are you going to care about me? Did you think I wouldn’t know? I know all about it! I know that you’re planning to stay here until you graduate in college!” Nako stood and response and tried to hold her hands again, “Nako, I’m sorry. Let’s end this.” Miku hurriedly left the VIP room.

 

•••

 

“So that explains why Nako’s not that excited for the training camp.” With her right cheek rested on her right palm, Wonyoung looked at the sad Nako who was just looking over the window. “Wait, Hiichan, how’d you know all of that?” Wonyoung asked.

 

“Well, it just happened that I was on my way home from a bread convention that night,” Bread convention? Something like that exists? Wonyoung and Yujin understood the raising of each other’s brows. “I saw her crying on inside the train, y’know. Everyone was looking at her. So I went and comforted her. She told me everything that happened, heck she even made me her tissue paper.” Hitomi then unwrapped the twentieth bread she was going to eat.

 

Eunbi counted the luggage bags on their living room. “All set.”

 

At this point, Wonyoung and Yujin can’t even understand why are they staying on their unit almost every time and they only go back to their units to get change of clothes. The question on their mind goes why are you guys wasting your money on renting a unit when you stay on ours ninety-percent of the time?

 

•••

 

“Tomorrow, we’re off to train on the basketball court behind the inn!” Eunbi felt her voice was nothing as she saw her players quickly close their eyes as their bodies met the futon prepared by the inn’s staff on the floor. “Just make sure y’all would get up early tomorrow.” Eunbi then went to her futon, she turned to look at Chaewon who was soundly sleeping. I can’t wait to go out with you again. She closed her eyes.

 

The morning came and they quickly got into their training gears—their black shirts and midnight blue shorts. Behind their black shirt was their school’s emblem, a compass pointing to the east. A lot of people can’t help but look at the unbelievably tall power forward and center, An Yujin and Jang Wonyoung. They were having a very nostalgic game, it was the South and the East once again. Eunbi wanted to check if there would be anything to improve with the lineups they used to have.

 

“Yujin!” Yena asked for the pass when she saw Yujin being triple-teamed by Minjoo, Chaeyeon and Sakura. Yujin sent her the ball through an overhead pass, Nako was about to stop it by passing the ball to Hyewon who was waiting near the other hoop, but Hitomi directed the ball to Yena who then did a crossover to pass through Chaeyeon. Yena was able to make a layup.

 

The East, going to the other side, they were surprised to see the ball pass through them in a speed. Nako did a fast break before the timer was about to end, Chaeyeon got the ball and slammed it on the hoop. They took a break, Eunbi left the team under Chaeyeon as she’ll go to the nearby convenience store to charge her phone for a few minutes.

 

“Wow, that was a good one, right Misa?”

 

“Yeah Mai, it’s a good fast break but it still doesn’t compare to what we do back in high school. Hey, looks like the coach’s out.”

 

“Correct. Oh, it’s the rebellious kids from, the high school. It’s weird if we challenge them into a small match with just the two of us Misa.”

 

“Hirate! Come over here! You said you wanted to challenge someone from the compass right? Look, those are students from the Korean branch.”

 

“I don’t want to, I got to play yesterday, and it’s a one-on-five game. They’re weaklings.”

 

“Really? I heard the Korean Branch students are hardcore players.”

 

“Okay then, I’mma try and destroy their team play.”

 

From afar, a group of five made their way towards the basketball court where eleven girls were taking a rest after a short game. The girl who was called Hirate kicked the metal door opened, startling the eleven girls.

 

“Is there something we could help you with?” Chaeyeon asked, she had to do it since the coach had entrusted the team to her while she is out. She made her way to the group of five with a basketball on her hand.

 

“Game.” Hirate said, “Let’s play a full game.” She grabbed the ball from her hand and slammed it on the ring like what she did earlier, but even stronger. It felt like the hoop was about to break.

 

“What do you need?” Yujin was enraged by what Hirate just did, she ran to where they stood, near the only entrance of the court.

 

“I said, game.” Hirate looked at the eleven girls with an emotionless dull face.

 

Yujin took a deep breath and went beside Chaeyeon, she whispered, “Let’s accept the offer. Before things get out of hand.”

 

Chaeyeon nodded. “Okay then, let’s do it.”

 

They had an agreement, the five girls agreed to have a five-on-twelve. A game with them not having substitution players, since it would seem unfair because two of them are already in the university.

 

The game started with the other team’s center getting the ball, she was three centimeters taller than Wonyoung. It was almost one-sided, the Southeast can barely even touch the ball besides passing, majority of their shots are blocked. They can barely score because of the center taller than any female center they’ve seen in their lives.

 

Three minutes have passed and the challenging team were barely even sweating despite putting up a strong play, and there’s the Southeast, trying to catch their breath and their collars and back parts of their shirts wet with their sweat.

 

•••

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter