Homecoming Part 1

I Know You

Hi, Lenena! I will be in town again for a few days soon. I figured since my birthday is coming up, I may as well enjoy my hometown since I am forever travelling all over the place. I really don’t expect you to care about my birthday like that like that, but I would love to come see you, maybe hang out a bit. It’s been so long since I have spent quality time on that side of the world and I was thinking maybe you could show me around. Last time, at that party, I didn’t see too much of what had become of my hometown and I certainly didn’t have time to explore it with you. So, how ‘bout it? I completely understand if you don’t have the time or you don’t want to, but I was just thinking it would be nice to spend some time with you instead of just talking through these letters--- not that I don’t like this. I also find this fun, but being around the same old same old and the same people here is becoming a bit boring if you ask me. So yea, just let me know. I’m so sorry for rambling. Just know that I appreciate any kind of contact with you.

How can I even say that? I mean, here I am babbling like a fool? Without even asking how you are??? How silly of me. Like I said, being so far away from cool people really does anumber on me. Dammit, there I go complaining again. I wouldn’t be surprised if you don’t want to hang out with me when I leave. But like I’ve been trying to do this whole time, I just wanna ask how ya doing? I know we have letters and all, but even if they’re everyday, let me know how you feel and if you just wanna talk? Of course by the time you get this letter, I would probably be out already and by the time I get any letter from you, you probably don’t feel the same way, but it is what it is and I do care. Well, I’ll stop wasting your time now. I got some stuff to prep for anyway. I hope I can see you when you get out. As always, you have a friend in me.

-Shinwoo 😊

            “So, what are you going to do when you get out?” Jinyoung sighed lazily, nudging Shinwoo out of his own mind to hold a conversation instead of staring into nothing.

            “I was thinking I could go out on the town,” Shinwoo replied vaguely.

            “You’re gonna go see her, huh? C’mon dude, you really can’t fool me that easily. I wouldn’t be your best friend if you could,” Jinyoung teased.

            “Yeah, what of it?” Shinwoo snapped half-seriously.

            “Relax, relax. Nothing, nothing. I was just kidding with you. What are you so worked up over?” the other groaned, throwing his hands up, proving no ill intent. Shinwoo stared at the dark brown of the slop hall table, his eyes focused on what seemed like nothing, but to Shinwoo, in his mind, meant everything. “Ah, so it’s about that, then? I mean, I don’t blame you for wanting to see someone nice on your birthday then. Do you have any idea what you want to do?”

            “Dude, I haven’t been on that side of town since the party and then since then, for months. I mean I know small towns like that don’t just change overnight, but I feel like it isn’t even familiar to me, or it won’t be when I get there.”

            “Well, with all that’s happened, do you really want it to be that familiar, anyway?” Jinyoung pointed out wisely.

            “I guess you’re right, but that also means I’ll be like a fish out of water. All the fun things I used to like to do is for little kids. I’m not really one for the malls or anything like that. If I try to ask her to a movie, I feel like that is too cliché and—” he began to ramble, a light wave of self-pity roaring and forming in the depths of his mind.

            “And that’s just a terrible way to spend a birthday, especially with someone as wonderful as this girl must be,” Jinyoung intercepted.

            “She is wonderful!” Shinwoo retorted almost too defensively.

            “Yeah, yeah, I know and I’m real glad you’ve found someone like that to keep you company, especially on one of the days you like the least of the whole year, but you can’t just turn up and be like ‘Oh, hey, I know we only talk through letters and whatnot, but hey are you down to go to a movie where we don’t even get to talk to each other for two hours.’ I mean, you have got to do something more exciting than that. I’m not from that area so I have no idea what you could do but you should do something adventurous, like really out on the town. Go to a museum, the beach, downtown? Who knows? Just somewhere to get out and about. God knows you need it,” Jinyoung encouraged passionately, calming to pat his friend on the back at the last sentence. Though he thought highly of himself as an amazing class clown of sorts, stealthy and trustworthy confidant, and outgoing, amazing best friend a person could have, even Jinyoung knew the dangers of being holed up in the army camp, away from what once was so familiar, so inviting and the toil of having to forge your own bonds and make your own family when the real ones you have on the outside may not even remember that you were gone. Jinyoung would always do what he could for Shinwoo, was willing to die for his best friend, his brother, but he knew Shinwoo not being able to see you would only worsen his ill sentiment towards his birthday. Jinyoung knew Shinwoo needed to see someone he could care for and that could care for him and he was more than rooting for him to do so, even if it meant spending a few days alone in the compound.

            “And what if she isn’t there like waiting for me?” Shinwoo mumbled, another wave of worry mingling with the rumbling wave of self-pity that was approaching ever so swiftly.

            “I mean, you already told her, right? She seems like a good girl so she might want to see you just as much as you want to see her, if not more. Although, I really don’t like feeling your head with fantasies, but you also can’t expect her to be like an army wife, patiently waiting for you, at least not right now. She does have a life after all, but if she really is there for you like you think she is and like she should be with her kind of personality, then I’m sure she will find some way to incorporate you into that life until we are out of here and you can do that yourself,” Jinyoung assured him, careful with his words. In this place, fantasies were more harmful than not, tainting even the most realistic and rational soldier with a false image of the outside world that didn’t wait for him as much he wanted to wait for it. Most of the time, Shinwoo was the logical one, but with him feeling this way, Jinyoung knew he would have to take on the role and, after several talks like this deep into the night and sometimes into the morning, he had learned to master it well.

            “I guess you’re right. When did you start looking out for me and being all wise like this?” Shinwoo quipped.

            “Now listen here, wise guy, I do what is needed and right now, you need serious Jinyoung, brotherly Jinyoung,” he countered, sticking his tongue out. “Plus, I really wanna meet the girl who is taking you away from me. I wanna see just how awesome this girl really is.”

            “No one or nothing is going to take me away from you. We’re brothers, more than just brothers in arms. A bullet would have to take you from me before I leave you,” Shinwoo asserted.

            “And even then, you wouldn’t leave. Are we going to hell for this kind of dark humor?” Jinyoung chuckled.

            “Even if we are, we go together,” Shinwoo shrugged lightheartedly. “Damn, I hate you,” he added playfully.

            “And why is that??”

            “Because you always find a way to make me feel better, to feel like me.”

            “It’s what I do. I just kinda help, but all the mental work and reflection, that’s all you. Speaking of, don’t you have something to do, to prepare for? I’m not helping you with packing your bags,” he reminded him. “The next bus leaves in a couple hours, so you better figure it out and enjoy the freedom while you can! Don’t leave without saying by either! I’m gonna go out on the field,” Jinyoung pointed out, rising from the table with his friend.

            “, you’re right. I’ve gotta get going. I can’t meet this girl looking like I just rolled out of hell.”

            “Of course not, but when you come back, we’ll both be rolling right into it. See ya later, bro.” Jinyoung bid him a farewell before parting ways to jog out to the yard.

 

 

 

 

Dear Ms. Valentine,

You are formally invited to the Grand Opening for the Museum for Modern Art and Photography this weekend, January 20th through 22nd. This museum’s goal is to bring together the exceptional work of suburban, urban, and international, artists and photographers into the welcoming arms of communities like this one. As such, please think of this invitation as an opportunity to come engage with such artists/photographers as well as support art and photography as fields of interest, prestige, and beauty. You have been extended the honor of attending any time this weekend by one of our own artists. Feel free to bring a friend and share this experience. We look forward to seeing you!

 

“By one of their own artists? Who would that be? I didn’t know you have the connects like that, Lenena!” Cookie exclaimed, dumbfounded, but excited.

“I think it was from that Amber girl at the bar,” you replied nonchalantly though you fought with yourself why she would even think of you past that night. Your mind darted back to the flowers, the texts, that night, just her and wondered, was frozen on the thought.

“Well , maybe we should have just left you alone with her and maybe we all could have gone!” she jested with a wink.

“It’s not even like that, although, if I must admit, I have no idea why she would go this far to get in contact with  me,” you confessed, deciding against telling Cookie about the texts she sent you.

“Well, what do you even wear to one of these things? It sounds really fancy,” Cookie pondered as you tossed the invitation on your bed.

“Well, it’s a museum, I’m not going to show up in a club outfit. I don’t want to take home a fifty-year old man as a sugar daddy. I’ll just wear something like business casual?” you answered, unsure if you even had anything close to acceptable to wear amidst the piles of hoodies, jeans and band shirts that flooded your closet.

“I’m sure you have to have something like that in there. All the interviews and stuff. Or, we could go shopping~” she chimed, hopeful.

“Let’s not do that. I have to have something!” you asserted.

“Anyway, the important thing is are you taking anyone? You should go with that cute boy of yours,” she suggested innocently. “Imagine walking into this fancy museum with this mystery boy on your arm. All eyes would be on you!”

“Jesus, you have quite the whimsical, imagination, don’t you,” you groaned halfheartedly.

“Oh, don’t act like you weren’t just imagining that, too! That’s if you can reach him, though. This dude is an enigma! Have you heard anything from him lately?”

“Oh, yeah! He wrote me. He says he’s coming back into town. He only said for a few days, but I’m sure this won’t be too bad, then, right? Sounds fun.”

“Then you definitely have to take him! It’s a brand new thing and it gives you both something to do. It could be a date~” she sing-songed.

“Well, I hope it would be! But what if it’s too much?”

“Too much?! Who doesn’t like cute dates like this? This is the perfect way to get out of the house and get to know this Shinwoo kid! Plus, it’s free! That’s like the best kind of date!”

“You’ve been with that cheapskate boyfriend of yours for too long,” you joked half seriously, rolling your eyes. “I remember when you liked the finer things in life.”

“Look, you know I’m not wrong! What are you so worried about? Cute dude? Nice museum? Free date. What more do you want woman??”

“You’re right, you’re right. I’m just trying to find a way to talk myself—”

“Out of doing it, yes, yes and that is exactly why you need a friend like me to keep you on track, missy,” Cookie intervened.     

“Well, someone is awfully fully of herself today,” you scoffed.

“Nope, not fully of myself. Just excited that my friend has this kind of opportunity and I am definitely not going to let her ruin it for herself!”

“You always have my back.”

“Ride or die even if I’m not always by your side! So what now? What are you going to do for the rest of the day since you’re off. Lucky!” she whined.

“Well, if Shinwoo is coming over any time soon, I guess I gotta prepare for that. I assume he is going to be here for that weekend so we can hit this museum up and now, I just have to think of something else to do with him. Any ideas?”

“Well, if you always want somewhere chill to vibe, you can always hit up my café. I’ll tell my manager, Xiumin to extend my discount to you guys.”

“Is that even allowed?” you asked skeptically.

“No, but he has a soft spot for me and I’m his favorite worker,” she assured you.

“Fair enough, speaking of, you should get going. You don’t want to get on his bad side.”

“Yeah, yeah, I’m going. Even if I get on his bad side, he’ll just punish me a bit and a slap on the wrist and then everything will be fine,” she shrugged, rising from the couch and gathering her belongings.

“Just go to work and don’t be so filthy,” you scorned playfully. She waved her hand at you lazily leaving you to the task at hand, wondering how in the next few days, you had to pull yourself, your life, and your heart together for a whirlwind weekend.

 

 

Ayo~ Hop my letter reached you well. I know you’re probably wondering why I invited you to the museum. Idk, I could just use a friendly face. I really want to keep talking to you so I hope you can make it!

 

I think I can make it. I didn’t think I was such a bid deal to you, but I find it a real honor to be invited, especially by you personally. It sounds like fun. Thanks~!

 

No problem! Hey, what are you doing tonight? 😉

You stared at your phone, contemplating what her angle was. When you met at the bar, she was so smooth, so seductive, so charming with a hint of danger. You felt so comfortable with her, wishing you could talk to her for ages. Yet, what did she want with a girl like you, a girl from suburbia raised to toe the line, a potato if you had to describe yourself. Of course, you were content with life and were proud of yourself and your achievements, as you should be, but you would by no means think yourself extraordinary enough to be associated with a world-renowned photographer, let alone have her as company. You debated whether you wanted to reply at all, wondering where to find the words, the reply she was probably fishing for. Yet, she didn’t want you to fish. She wanted you as you were, not as you thought she wanted you to be. You bit your lip and tossed your phone on the couch, finally deciding she was just being a girl. You plopped beside your phone, bouncing it ever so slightly on the cushion as you pinched the bridge of your nose, deliberating if you should be this cold. You had encountered several boys and girls through your years in college and you didn’t want to fall into the same trap. You didn’t want to be baited with promises of meeting up and grandiose gestures like this only to be fooled when they only wanted one thing. However, if Amber truly was a girl, this was one of the bluntest kinds you had ever met. She had only asked what you were doing tonight, but that was only one step away from spelling out that she wanted to . No -person could be this dumb or this direct. It wasn’t in their nature and if it was, the others you had met had fought said nature rather well. Amber must have been letting her colors show.

Finally, you shot back a text.

You now sat, wondering what to do next. The sun was out, shining brightly after returning from a lengthy, frustrating war with a winter that seemed like it would never end despite being in California. You figured you could go swimming, maybe a walk in the park, anything to not waste a day like this. You looked around your home, admiring how clean you always kept it. You figured Shinwoo wasn’t going to stay cooped in a hotel while he was here, so you would welcome him into your tiny but quaint abode. You liked your home, having the freedom of living on your own, having your own company though you didn’t like having too many people over, only close friends.

Curious, you sent another text and decided simply to catch up on the rest of your K-dramas.

 

I’d love to. 😊

 

 

 

            You could already hear Cookie’s voice in your head, nagging you about what to wear and how big of a deal this was. You shook your head halfheartedly, wondering how she managed to keep up with her high-maintenance lifestyle and how much easier it was to just go with the flow. While this would be a first for you, you weren’t nervous and looked forward to the company. You wanted to be alone with them, really get to know them, understand them more than you had that night. You looked down at your typical outfit and smiled. If they liked you, they would like you as you were. You didn’t feel threatened or insecure and instead, awaited for the knock on the door, which, to your pleasure was not far away.

 

            “Hi~ Thanks so much for having me! I brought wine!” Amber exclaimed jubilantly as you swung open the door. “Ah, you look so cute like this. Last time I saw you, you were in a party dress, playing the real hoe part,” she laughed, bowing slightly and walking inside.

            “It was a part that I really had to prepare for. I don’t go out much,” you chuckled, gesturing to couch. “Just put the wine anywhere, hun.”

            “I like that. It must be nice to just be able to take it easy sometimes, to do nothing and go nowhere, huh?” she credited.

            “I guess, but I mean, look at you, always traveling the world and doing all these amazing things!” you countered, trying not to sound too much like a fangirl. “I wish I could do that sometimes.”

            “I guess there are pros and cons of each, but if you ever want to be a jetsetter, just let me know. I’d love to take you along for a ride,” she smirked, reaching for the wine and the glasses. You raised an eyebrow, somewhat shocked she wanted to drink already.  “Ah, ah, ah, I know what you’re thinking and trust, it’s not like that. I’m not trying to get you loose or anything with corny pickup lines and innuendoes. I just want a drink or two. This whole museum thing has me a bit worn out.”

            “Ah, yeah, it must be a lot of work and a lot to prepare for?”

            “Yeah, I mean, I’ve been in other museums, but being back here in this place, in the valley, seeing so many faces I never thought I would ever see again after so long. It’s kinda wild. It’s almost like a homecoming that I don’t think I’ll ever be truly prepared for,” she confessed, about to pour her own glass.

            “Ah, let me take that. I hear it’s bad luck to pour your own glass,” you insisted, gingerly taking the bottle from her, staring into her gorgeous brown eyes, glancing reluctantly at the glass to ensure you didn’t waste a drop.

            “Ah, so sweet of you,” she whispered before taking a sip, staring at you from the corner of her eye, wanting you to come closer. You subconsciously obliged and she poured you a glass before returning the bottle to the table and subtly placing her hand on your thigh. You couldn’t tell if it was the alcohol or the sensation of being frozen in her captivating stare that was sending shivers down your spine, but you weren’t complaining. “You know, sometimes I envy you,” she sighed, leaning back and swirling what little wine was left in her glass.

            “And why is that?” you asked, confounded and mind swimming as you were a lightweight that was almost done with her glass.

            “You get to be so normal. You get to live like everything is normal, you can come and go as if everything moves on. Me, being out there, all I can do is get lost in my photography, but after that, its like the camera of my mind is always flipping through the same photos, back and forth, back and forth. It won’t stop and sometimes, it makes me think that I’m not, that I can never be normal,” she elaborated.

            “I feel like that’s just because we’re from two different worlds, you and me,” you managed, struggling to sound intelligible, let alone comforting.

            “But are we though? Like I said, I grew up in this valley, too. It hasn’t changed much, but it has changed enough because even though I come to visit from time to time, I never get the time to explore the place, feel at home again, you know.”

            “So how did you like growing up here and why did you leave?”

            “I should ask you the same thing.”

            “What do you mean by that?”

            “You’re not like all the other folk out here. You’re not the same run-of-the-mill Sandy and Sue that walk these streets. You’re probably a good girl, yes, but you’re not valley raised. I think someone like you has been around more than you would like to admit.”

            “Ah, so you’re a psychiatrist now?” you nearly barked, though with the wine flowing through you, you couldn’t seem that offended, or intimidating.

            “No, just someone who has also been around a lot. I was raised here practically my whole lie and then I left and explored the world and now it feels like I can never really come back. Yet, you, I feel like you were around a lot and then you just decided to stay. You might have left for college, but you always found a home back here and maybe that is what I am jealous of? The fact you can come back and everything will be fine, but I just don’t belong.” At this, a lonely tear ran down her pinkening face.

            “It’s not like that. You belong wherever there is a heart for you. Yeah, I guess I did move around a lot, had a wild family history, you could say but I found some hearts here and I made it my home. It’s not easy, but it can be done and if you feel that this is the place for you, even if you leave it and no matter for how long, it will always be here for you.”

            “I had someone with a heart for me here and then she forgot me long, long ago and maybe that is why I ran and didn’t want to come back, but now that I have, it seems like something doesn’t want me back after all,” she divulged, more tears accompanying the first in thick, glistening lines on her soft cheeks.

            “I don’t know who you’re talking about, but for as long as you’re here and even if you’re not, think that I have a heart for you here. Whenever you blow through, feel free to come through,” you offered, cheeks numb as you managed a warm smile though it tore your heart to see her crumble before you. “We can at least cheer to that,” you cooed as you took her glass and filled it before filling your own.

            “Lenena,” she muttered, trying to quell her hitching voice. You merely hummed as you sipped, your motor functions desperately trying to fight against you.

            “Now, you’ve got bad luck. You shouldn’t pour your own glass,” she reminded you, wiping the tears from her eyes as she began to feel even the slightest bit better.

            “Fine then, it’s your glass now and this is mine,” you grumbled, snatching her arm so you could drink from hers, your eyes locked on hers as you felt confident.

            “Lenena?” You smirked. “You poured that one, too,” she pointed out, giggling, which, instead of making you embarrassed, made you burst into laughter alongside her. “Damn, you’re cute,” she professed before grabbing your chin and crashing her velvet soft lips into your own, snaking her tongue through your mouth and exploring every inch. The taste of wine on her tongue, the smell of her cologne and the way her fingers pulled and twirled at your hair is all you remember.

 

 

You awoke in the morning to her leather jacket draped over your nearly bare skin. You scanned the living room and found your shirt flung away from the couch near the T.V. your pants were ped and the bottle of wine and both glasses empty though neatly arranged in the corner of the table. You once again scanned the area for your phone, finding it plugged into the wall with one of the chargers you always kept near in case of overnight binge-watching. You groaned as you crawled over to get it.

There were two texts:

I’m sorry if last night didn’t go as planned.

I hope to see you soon.