GNO

I Know You

You awoke to a loud rap at the front door of your apartment. You groan as you push your eye mask and quickly rub at your eyes before nearly rolling out of bed to answer.

            “Delivery for one Ms. Valentine. A valentine for a valentine, I suppose,” the delivery man chuckled to himself as he happily shoved a bouquet of bright red and white roses into your arms. You were too stunned and too tired to utter anything more than a quiet “thank you” before he left. You sighed to yourself as you placed the flowers on the dining room table, bewildered at who the sender could be. Though you had been on several dates through the last few months, you were too well acquainted with the single life to pinpoint who could have sent you these flowers. You slumped into a chair, entrenched in thought as you stared at the gorgeous gift before you. You mulled over the names of those you had cared to remember and the vague faces of those you had seen any time, in passing, at parties but still could not identify anyone who would take the time and money to send them. You ruled out your parents as they preferred to celebrate Lunar New Year with you, not Valentine’s Day. Cookie was probably busy writing you a fanfiction as you sat in thought instead. No one else could come to mind.

            Shinwoo!

            How could you not have thought about him before? He had been on your mind so often—all the time, really—that he seemed to become an ordinary fixture in your thoughts, yet you still could not think these were from him. Why would he send these to you? You had only exchanged a few letters, emotional as they were, but this was still a grand gesture that you couldn’t think he would or could make. Shinwoo seemed more like a quiet gentleman, shunning the grand shows of love for the subtler and meaningful actions like writing a poem, slaving over a stove for dinner, or decorating the house with small trinkets and pictures that represented your time together. You sighed contentedly to yourself as you imagined what it would be like for him to embrace you one more time, for his warm breath to send shivers down your spine, for his soft humming to relax you. You would hear him whisper to you about how lucky he was to have you, how his life was complete with you by his side. You would grab his hand in yours and guide it to his chest as he cried soft, warm tears of joy at finally being able to have you. Your heart would tremble at his vulnerability before you would turn around and press a chaste, loving kiss to his lips and comfort him. He would smile, chuckle at himself before pulling you closer, holding you tighter, reveling in the silence and the love you would share. He would help you forget all the pain you had felt, make you believe in star-crossed love, and help rebuild you into someone who could love herself and others. Valentine’s Day would be more than a day, yet mean nothing at all as you shared each day with each other, enmeshed in the purest of loves, becoming the best versions of yourselves that could only be reached through hard work, understanding, and compassion.

Your phone’s buzz at receiving a message shook you from your trance and you groaned grumpily as you picked it up. Unknown number. You scoffed, assuming it was some ad for a pre-approved credit card or some other scam you couldn’t be bothered with… until it buzzed again. The same number. You reluctantly opened your messaging app to check the content of the messages.

Sorry if I woke you. I hope you like your Valentine’s Day gift.

Let’s meet up soon. <3

You raised an eyebrow, intrigued, yet cautious. If this was Shinwoo’s doing, how did he get your phone number and why had he not done this before? Yet, who else could it be? You only had a handful of close friends and you never made the mistake of contacting any of your one-night or half-night stands. If it was a credit card company or some other scam, you thought you could at least consider their bull with how much effort they were putting into grabbing your attention. It had to be Shinwoo. Perhaps, you had mistaken him for someone more subtle, but regardless, you were finally beginning to appreciate the effort. What if Shinwoo was the type to put all his effort and might into a show of affection? What if he would somehow manage to reserve an entire restaurant for just the two of you, complete with endless glasses of champagne and rose petals dotting the floors? He would wake you in the morning with breakfast in bed before bringing you into the living room, the corridors lined with balloons, pictures of you, and flowers. Your eyes would widen as he pointed out the small puppy that would be sleeping in his plush bed in the corner, explaining that this was to show he was committed to being with you. He would then wait patiently as you got dressed and take you for a stroll in the park, a fine brunch at an expensive café, and a movie before taking you to this restaurant where you could live out all your wildest fantasies of a storybook romance.

You didn’t know what kind of man Shinwoo was, but you knew that you wanted to be with him. You grabbed for your phone, eager to reach him and hopefully set up a real date, a facetime or anything.

I would love to! Are you available today by any chance?

You waited anxiously for a response. You bounced out of your chair, pacing the small dining room before deciding upon choosing an outfit for the day. What if you could meet today? You would have to be in a much nicer and more festive outfit than the little black dress he had first seen you in. You rummaged through your closet and the endless black and dark-colored items for anything remotely appropriate, red, pink, white even. You pulled out a few pieces, a pair of white pants here, a red cutout top there and frowned, disappointed at yourself. You didn’t want to have to buy a new outfit, nor would Shinwoo encourage you to do so. Instead, you decided on the one red dress you had in your closet, the one that you rarely ever wore due to the sheer grace of the item. It was strapless, lined with black lace that cinched at the waist, flowing to about midway down your thighs. You could easily pair it with simple black stockings, a red bow, your sky high black pumps, and the MCM bag you had nearly starved yourself for so many years ago to buy.

You checked your phone again. Nothing. Your heart sank slightly, but you were not deterred. Perhaps he was busy preparing. You were sure that roses would not be the end of his efforts. Instead, you started the shower. As the warm water cascaded over your body, your mind surged with warm memories of someone you couldn’t quite identify. Your mind drifted to when you were maybe nine or ten. Instead of the steaming water, you could feel the bright sun’s rays warm your skin as you bounced around the park in your pale pink romper, hand in hand with them. They beamed at you as they escorted you to the swings. You eagerly climbed onto one of them as they stood behind you. Their small hands pushed you gently. You looked back to see them scuttle away playfully, both afraid you would hit them and stuck by your cheerfulness, your smile, your everything. As you kicked and soared, they continued to stare at you, flashing a bright smile every time you looked back at them. They joked about how you fly off into the sun if you weren’t careful and didn’t slow down. You promised them you would never leave them like that because the sun would be no fun without them. They reminded you that the sun was scorching hot, but you paid them no mind as you kicked and soared higher and higher almost taunting them. They pouted as you stuck your tongue out at them before challenging you at your own game and climbing onto the swing next to you. They stuck their tongue out at you as they matched your height, pushing the overgrown bangs of their bowl cut out of their face to better see you. The sound of your mothers beckoning for the two of you in unison ruined your competition as the two of you begrudgingly came to a stop, you slowing down and them jumping off in a bold finishing move. They snickered at you, proud of themselves for winning the unspoken battle, but more so hoping they had impressed you. You rolled your eyes before hugging them tightly, nearly squeezing the life out of them. They promised they would never leave you if you only promised to do the same.

            Tiny tears pricked at your eyes, mingling with the still running water of the shower as the world of innocence and long-forgotten pure happiness melted and trickled down the drain. There was another one of your faint memories, the ones that taunted you through the day, appearing as harmless, whimsical daydreams and the ones that haunted you at night, keeping you up thinking about a time that seemed so ancient, so unreal. You finally turned off the shower and dried off mindlessly, your mind stuck on a loop as it tried to reconstruct that person’s face. You could remember everything about that person, the bad haircut, the loose clothes, everything except the details of their face. Their smile was charming, their eyes small crescents, but you couldn’t remember everything or even who this face had belonged to. You wondered if it was even someone you knew or if your mind was tricking you again, making you think it was so real when in fact, it was your overactive imagination running rampant once more.

            It had to be real.

            You flopped onto your bed, dazed until you saw the outfit you had laid out for yourself. Your smile and focus returned as you scrambled for your phone in excited anticipation.

I’m sorry, Lenena, but I’m not available for a bit. You know how it goes. I won’t even be able to talk for a while. I’m so glad this number works. I was afraid that it wasn’t you lol. XD But like I said, feel free to talk to me any time. I’ll try to get back to you asap. We have a lot to catch up on! 😊

           

            You sighed and rolled your neck as you glanced at the text and then back at your outfit. You had already gone through all the work of finding a cute outfit and the day was still young. So perhaps Shinwoo was too busy for you; this was no surprise. You just hoped that whatever he was doing, he was giving it his all and you couldn’t help but to feel appreciative for even this amount of effort. Nonetheless, you were not going to waste the outfit. Instead, you would go out, have fun, enjoy the day, this one day that it wasn’t pouring rain and the sun was unveiled and warm. You dressed quickly, rattled off a text to Cookie and another close friend, Lola, about having a Galentine’s Day and decided Shinwoo would have to wait until later.

 

 

            “How about we head to a bar or a club or something?” Cookie suggested as she desperately at the ice that was left in her cup that once had boba. You ladies had spent the day roaming K-Town, emptying your bank accounts on albums, trinkets, and food, and had settled at a local, hole-in-the-wall boba shop.

            “That doesn’t sound like a bad idea~ I mean, we are already dressed for it,” Lola agreed. “I just don’t want it to be too loud,” she pouted. Cookie nodded, understanding her friend’s disdain for loud music and obnoxious drunks.

            “How about Dave and Buster’s then?” you added, always more than happy to feel like a kid again—one who could legally drink and play games at the same time.

            “That’s perfect! Let’s get going then! We buy a few drinks, play some games, and one of us inevitably embarrasses ourselves over something simple,” Cookie concurred, shrugging as she finally gave up on her no longer existent drink.

            “Wow, we know ourselves too well,” Lola sighed halfheartedly, smirking as she shook her head. “It sure won’t be me, though! I refuse! No wardrobe malfunctions, my heels are low so I can’t trip. I’m safe,” she chuckled, throwing up her hands before getting out of her chair.

            “And it can’t be me. I already embarrassed myself enough with that cute bobarista over there when he asked me what kind of boba I wanted and I said yes,” Cookie scoffed, still silently cursing at herself.

            “Not to mention that you’ve been on air this whole time and you haven’t even noticed him checking you out,” you added, much to her surprise as she whipped her head around to look back at him and almost fell out of her chair. He only chuckled, which made her flush a faint red.

            “Well, guess it’s just going to have to be you,” she inferred playfully, still upset at herself and silently promising to never come back again.

            “Wait, I don’t wanna take one for the team! I look too good for that! Let it be another day!” you whined.

            “Nope, the gods have already spoken and we’ve already made up our mind. Thank you for your sacrifice,” Lola snickered, patting you on the back as you climbed out of your chair. You cursed yourself and the gods, praying that today of all days, when you’re riding high on your own self-esteem and the beautiful present this morning, they would just take the day off and let you live without embarrassing yourself.

 

 

 

            “So, what will it be, lovely ladies? You all look so pretty! I’m jealous,” the friendly female bartender greeted you.

            “I’ll take Unicorn Margarita.”

            “I’ll have the Toxic Beauty.”

            “And I’ll have the…. Uh—wait, hmm,” you stammered, not realizing you hadn’t picked anything out yet despite having sat at the bar for more than ten minutes. Lola and Cookie chuckled to themselves though they knew the bartender was not your type so it couldn’t be that embarrassing for you—not yet.

            “I suggest the GNO,” the patron next to you suggested. “Stands for a Good Night Out. Little bit on the sweet side, but strong enough for you to forget your worries and have a good time. At least then you’ll have a reason to slur and forget your words,” she explained with a wink that froze your heart. You stared at her for longer than you would like to admit, admiring her clean blond sideshave hair, studying the tattoos that lined her thin, but lean arms, and sinking into her chocolate brown eyes. She was gorgeous, a prime example of beautiful, enticing androgyny.

            “She’ll have the GNO, light ice, on me,” she told the bartender who jotted it down with a smile before starting the drinks.

            “Ah, thanks for that. I’m sure I looked like an idiot.”

            “Nah, you look pretty cute to me. I’m Amber, nice to meet you,” she rebutted with a charming smirk.

            “Me? Cute? You’re ing gorgeous,” you rambled, immediately cursing at yourself for being so blunt. The one time you find the courage to speak to a stranger and you say something like this without even giving your name. Much to your surprise, as you bit your lip, she guffawed, running her hand down your arm before calming down and wiping a tear from her eye.

            “I’ve never been called that so quickly. You’re funny. What’s your name, hun?” she chuckled softly.

            “L-Lenena,” you muttered quietly.

            “Now that is gorgeous. I like that name,” she assured you. You blushed wildly. “So, what are you and your friends doing out here?” she asked, gesturing at Lola and Cookie who had made friends with the two male patrons across from them.

            “We’re just enjoying the night out, I guess. I had this outfit all picked out but I got canceled on so I figured why let a good outfit go to waste, you know?” Amber’s face went flat for a millisecond.

            “Oh, so you have a boyfriend?”

            “N-no. I was trying to make plans with this mystery person who sent me some flowers. Was probably an old fling of mine wanting to reconnect.”

            “Well, you shouldn’t make plans with strangers. This world is all sorts of crazy now, you know,” she pointed out, taking a sip of her drink.

            “Yeah, you’re right, but it was nice. He sent me some flowers,” you elucidated, not quite sure why you were saying so much, but feeling more than comfortable enough with her to say it.

            “Ah, well then that changes the game. But maybe it’s a good thing that you guys didn’t head out. Maybe you wouldn’t have ended up here across from me. I must be the lucky one today,” she cooed, trailing her finger down your jawline, her eyes seductive, her smirk knowing and her touch tantalizing.

            “Here are your drinks, ladies. Enjoy!” the bartender interjected politely before tending to the other patrons hurriedly. You looked down at your drink hesitantly, the words of your mother warning about taking drinks from strangers involuntarily ringing in your head.

            “Don’t worry, straight from the bar. Live a little,” she assured you, reading your mind and throwing her hands in the air. “Don’t worry, I’m not offended. My mom told me the same thing. Drink up, hun,” she added, taking a sip from her own drink. You shook your head, realizing how ridiculous you seemed before taking a much needed drink. The strength of the alcohol was immediately veiled by the sweet wave of coconut, vanilla, and a hint of cherry. “You like it? It’s like a little taste of heaven, huh?” You nodded before rushing to take another drink.

            “So uh, what are you doing here tonight?” you asked boldly after you downed nearly half the glass.

            “Well, I’m here on business. Business makes me tired so I need to recharge a bit,” she answered vaguely, swirling her straw in her drink as she delighted at your rosy cheeks and plump lips.

            “What kind of business, if you don’t mind me asking,” you began to slur though you still remembered your manners.

            “I’m a photographer and a little bit of an artist,” she responded humbly.

            “Wait! You’re Amber Liu?! The Amber Liu with the exhibits all over the world?!” you exclaimed excitedly, not at all realizing how loud your voice had become.

            “Shhh, yes, yes, I’m here, but it’s a good thing most people who walk through here aren’t that cultured enough to know who I am,” she whispered, pressing her finger to your lips, making you soften and relax instantly.

            “Oh my god, I’m so sorry, I must really be embarrassing you. I should go,” you rambled, trying to scoot out of your chair.

            “Not so fast, pretty lady. You have friends here and no, no you’re not embarrassing me at all. I think it’s cute,” you refuted, grabbing for your arm, steadying you as you nearly slipped out of your chair. You stared at her, eyes wide, truly mesmerized by her beauty and calming personality.

            “Let’s finish our drinks first and then we can decide what to do next, hmm?” You nodded, trying to steady your head as you sat back down.

            The two of you existed in your own world as you discussed everything from music, to her art, to what kind of week you both had been having. The music of the bar, the fake smiles of the bartenders, everything melted away as you succumbed to her touch, her charm, her everything. You were frozen, under her spell and you didn’t want to break free. She had you right where she wanted you. You were more than just another girl at the bar to her. You were a gem, a diamond in the rough that she was just lucky enough to stumble on. She yearned for you with a fire you could never know and she was glad to have you. She wouldn’t let you walk away from her so easily but you didn’t mind. How desperately you wanted to kiss her, slip your tongue into hers and fall apart at her every touch, every moan. How desperately you wanted to fall asleep with her and let the morning sun bathe you as you woke up in her bed. How desperately you wanted to be able to talk to her again, connect with her on a deeper level. You wanted her to be so much more than a fling and she was more than willing to make that happen. Unfortunately, tonight would not be the night.

            “Lenena! We have to go, one of these boys is being really creepy to Lola and if we don’t leave now, I’m going to end up having to fight one of them,” Cookie interrupted you, shaking your arm and shaking you out of your fantasy. “I am so sorry. You seem like a wonderful person, but friend code calls. I’m sorry,” she apologized as she slipped a ten and a piece of paper to Amber before ushering you and Lola out.

            “No problem, I understand,” Amber nodded. “Hope to see you around again, Lenena,” she called to you, making your heart skip a beat.

            “What the ?!” you whined as the three of you crowded into the back of an Uber.

            “Will you hush?! This man doesn’t want to hear us drunken girls complain all night. Look, we had to get out of there or did you want to see me start an actual bar brawl cause you know I will go right back in there and do it for Lola.” Cookie asserted

            “Aish, you’re right, you’re right,” you muttered. “But what about Amber~”

            “Yeah, yeah, I know you were having a good time, but no worries. I’m sure you’ll hear from her again. But for now, night’s over, alright? Love ya, unnie,” she cooed.

            “Yeah, yeah, love you, too,” you muttered as your eyelids became heavier and you drifted into a light nap, leaving Cookie to comfort Lola.

           

 

 

 

Hey, Lenena. Your friend gave me your number. I should thank her.  Hope you’re doing alright. It was nice running into you today! Maybe we can catch up soon when work lets me go 😉

 

            You peered at your phone, barely able to make out the letters let alone words in the text. You were too drunk and now too tired to even care who this was. It would have to wait until the morning. You could only focus on the number before you hurled your phone onto the bed.

           

            The unknown number.