With Time

I Know You

The lights were blinding, the sweet nothings, promises of afterparties and hooking up were more deafening than the music and you were feeling lightheaded from the little that you had to drink. You didn’t want to be there, surrounded by the girls who were partying their lives away and the men who reveled in it. You had been dragged out by your best friend, Cookie, and, while you enjoyed yourself initially, the nonstop commotion was becoming unbearable. You slumped against the wall, no longer concerned with whether you would wrinkle your short, black minidress and continued to sip your mixed drink through wine red lips, simply observing. There had been some relatively cute guys and how you had initially fantasized about sharing a New Year’s kiss with an attractive stranger, but now, you just wanted to enter the new year in old pajamas sipping cider.

Cookie spotted you from across the room and noticed the look in your eyes. You smiled a bitter smile to reassure her, but she knew you were uncomfortable. She promptly ended the conversation she was having with all smiles and started to make her way to you before being intercepted. You raised an eyebrow at him, wondering if it was really you he was approaching in the dim light. You wondered if you had the patience left to deal with another boy if he was. As he came closer, you couldn’t help but to fixate on his face. He looked familiar, but then again, everyone there looked like everyone. Perhaps you had seen him at school, or work, or maybe he had just been another passing face in the university-town suburbs you lived in. Nonetheless, you stared, studying how his soft chocolate eyes gazed into yours, how his jawline was perfectly framed by his ruffled, gorgeous red hair or how his thick lips pouted ever so slightly.

“Mind if I stand here? It was getting a little too crowded in the middle for my taste,” he shrugged nonchalantly as he propped himself against the wall next to you, taking a sip of his drink. “Plus, looked like you could use a little company,” he pointed out, looking down at you with a faint smirk. You met eyes with Cookie who was glaring straight through him, ready to pounce to protect you if need be. You raised your cup to her with a thankful smile, signaling you could handle yourself. She pouted, but reluctantly returned to dancing and socializing though you knew she would continue to steal glances at this stranger.

“I’m just fine. Looks like you just needed a break,” you replied flatly.

“What can I say? The bells and whistles of this thing get to me. I can’t do too much of these kinds of events,” he admitted. “Plus, you looked like a charming, friendly face,” he chuckled.

“Me? Friendly? I’m sure I look like I just killed a guy,” you scoffed.

“Well, guess I’m the victim ‘cause you’ve certainly been killing me softly since I’ve seen you,” he bantered.

“That was so cheesy. If that was your pick-up line, you’re going to have to try again. I’ll give you another chance at it. I’m feeling generous,” you quipped.

“It wasn’t meant to be, but if you’re willing to give me another chance, that means I’m getting somewhere doesn’t it,” he smirked, his eyes twinkling.

“I suppose that depends on where you’re trying to go,” you retorted cheekily. You smiled softly to yourself, relishing the surge of newfound confidence and excitement.

“I’ll go as far as you’ll let me, but with time. We’ve got plenty of that left,” he replied calmly. You had heard this line so many times before, but for some reason, now, you weren’t repulsed. You didn’t feel the need to run away or have Cookie intervene with so many of the other boys who had tried this on you before. Though you didn’t even know his name, something about this boy was so familiar, so soothing, trustworthy. He wasn’t someone who wanted a one-night stand. The way he looked at you was warm, almost caring.

“Well, it is 11. I suppose we have a bit of time~” you chimed, snapping yourself out of your trance while trying to not melt at his glance.

“Great! You wanna go somewhere quieter? I don’t want to spend what little time I have here yelling just to hold a conversation” he suggested. You raised an eyebrow, skeptical. “I understand, you don’t know me, but maybe we can start. My name is Shinwoo,” he conceded, offering you his hand for a shake.

“I’m Lenena,” you replied with a soft smile and a handshake. He froze, his thick lips slightly agape as his disposition changed. Shock, confusion, anger, acceptance, and then finally relief flashed across his face in a matter of seconds as he peered at you. “Are you alright? I know I look stunning and what not, but if you’re not alright, maybe you shouldn’t finish what’s in that cup of yours,” you suggested, reaching cautiously for his hand. He finally relaxed, pulling his hand away ever so slightly as if he were afraid to touch you.

“Yeah, yeah, maybe I am just a little lightheaded. I’ve been drinking all night to bear this wildness,” he mumbled mindlessly as he pinched the bridge of his nose.

“Well, we can get out of here and go sit down, Shinwoo” you offered, your motherly instincts activating as you gingerly peeled him off the wall.

“My name sounds so beautiful on your lips,” he whispered, stumbling. You blushed, but chose not to acknowledge it, more concerned with sitting him down and getting him away from the ruckus than embarrassing him for a few seconds of pride.

“Just take it easy. We can go to the guest bedroom. I remember seeing it somewhere around here,” you cooed, walking him through the hordes of people in the kitchen after slyly taking his drink from him and setting it down. That would be enough.

“I-I’m sorry, I must be coming off as some kind of creep,” he slurred, as he stumbled and fell face first onto the bed. You hesitantly sat on the foot of the bed as he rolled around, sprawling himself. Though you knew with any other person, you should not be in this situation, you couldn’t help to giggle.

“Am I funny to you?” he yelled, struggling to sound authoritative.

“Not you, particularly, but just this whole situation,” you answered honestly.

“And why is that?” he probed, looking at you for only a second to raise an eyebrow before rolling back over.

“Well, for one, you can barely maintain eye contact and two, I would never be in a situation like this,” you explained, shaking your head playfully as you reached over to ruffle his hair. He raised his head slightly at your touch only to shake it violently before plopping it back onto the bed.

“I didn’t think I would be here like this either, if it makes you feel any better,” he mumbled into the sheets, trying not to drool.

“Like this?” you inquired curiously.

“I just didn’t think I would find anyone I could actually get along with here other than the friend that dragged me here,” he grumbled as he tried to flip himself back over.

“Oh, so you got dragged here, too?”

“Don’t we all get dragged along somewhere?” he sighed as he finally managed to prop himself against the headboard.

“Aren’t you getting a little too deep for only,” you began as you glanced at your phone’s clock, “11:30?”

“I could get deep into something else,” he muttered, desperately trying to make a seductive face at you. You only laughed. “You’re right, I didn’t mean that. I don’t know what’s gotten into me. I’ve had way too much to drink trying to keep up with all these youngins,” he sighed, defeated.

“Well, luckily for you, I came around to take care of you. No thanks necessary,” you teased, sticking out your tongue.  

“God, you’re cute. I can’t wait to get to know you more,” he chuckled to himself.

“Well, I wouldn’t mind talking to you, but will you remember all this in the morning?” you questioned.

“Trust me, I’ll remember. I remember everything. I’m like the internet.”
            “Well, what do you want to know?” you smirked, raising an eyebrow.

“I want to know everything, but above all, I just really want to know if you’ve been doing ok,” he began, his voice becoming deeper, slightly desperate. You shook your head, confused, but dismissing it as harmless.

“Of course, I’m alright. Why wouldn’t I be? I’m here, aren’t I?”

“We’re all here and we all say we’re alright, but are we ever really alright? We’re all here at this party, running away from something, right?”

“Well, I can guarantee you I’m not running away from anything. Are you?”

“No, but I’m glad I came. Maybe I wasn’t running away from anything, but maybe I came to just the right place,” he replied smugly.

“Was that another lame pick-up line of yours? You really gotta get better at those,” you jested.

            “I said what I said, and I mean what I say, meanie,” he shrugged, his head lolling. “I guess you’re right, you are doing alright. That’s good,” he nodded, smiling a weak smile as he gazed at you.

            “Anything else you want to know, or should I just tuck you in now so you can sleep through the new year?”

            “I told you I want to know everything,” he reminded you.

            “Well, what if I want to know about you?” you challenged.

            “I suppose that’s fair. I’m an open book in this kind of state.”

            “Well, in that case. Same question. Are you alright?”

            “I am now. I was wondering when I was going to get this chance again,” he answered vaguely.

            “Chance to do what?” you queried, surprisingly still not worried. Though he was drunk and you were tipsy at best, you still felt he was no threat, not like this.

            “Just sit here and talk with someone who gets it. You’re really cool, you know that, Lenena.” You smiled shyly, turning your head away.

            “Hey, come now and look at me,” he cooed, his smooth velvet and comforting as he mustered up the strength and coordination to his hand gingerly across your blushing cheek. You slowly turned your head to face him. “I couldn’t have gotten to you that easily, could I?” he teased, sticking his tongue out. You pursed your lips and tried to pull away before he gently grabbed your chin. “You’re not getting away from me that easily.” He warned, gazing into your eyes and his lips ever so tantalizingly.

            “Who said I was trying to get away?” you retorted.

            “Good, so stay and talk with me. Anything else you want to know or is it my turn to ask again?”

            “I’ll be nice. You can go.”

            “Hmmm, so Lenena, do you think you’ll have time for a good friend in the new year?”

            “If it’s you, I think I can squeeze you in amongst all the others. What’s in it for me?”

            “More than you will ever know, but just know you’ll be making just a humble boy like me so happy,” he replied, smiling a gummy smile.

            “Humble? You were acting anything but humble right now. Almost made me have a heart attack!” you admitted.

            “What did I do? Do you want me to do it again? Your wish is my command~” he chimed.

            “There you go again! What am I supposed to do with you?”

            “Anything you want, sweetheart. I’ll make it comfortable for you, too,” he offered, sliding down on the bed until he was prone. “I’m all yours if you want me to be,” he simpered, his voice deep and seductive, as he put his hands behind his head and spread his legs wider. Your heart raced. How good he looked, lying there, his shirt begging to be ed, his pants ready to be ripped off, and his lips ready to be taken. He knew what he was doing to you, tantalizing you, begging you but you knew you didn’t want your first time to be like this. “You’re hesitant, I know and that’s fair. You want to know why?” You could only hum in fear you would give yourself away. “I don’t want it to be like this either. I just really want to know you, Lenena,” he assured you. “Plus, I do like a bit of a chase if we do want to go there,” he admitted.

            “With time~” you reminded him, nudging him in the side before he tried propping himself back up.

            “C-Can I hug you?” he stuttered, catching you off guard. Unsurprisingly, you obliged, melting in his arms as he embraced you and set his chin on your shoulder. “It really is you,” he whimpered, desperation and reprieve lacing his voice. At this you shuddered and pulled away, only to look at him for a split second before crashing your lips into his. His lips were plush against your own as his tongue s between them and waltzed with your own. You arched your back as his hand drifted lower to the small of your back and his fingers danced lightly. Your mind drifted as he moaned and rocked into the kiss as if this was the only thing he had ever thought of. He took your breath away as he bit at your lip and tugged at it playfully before letting it go with a pop. You stared at him, awestruck at how gorgeous he looked as he huffed, trying to catch his own breath. You could feel your cheeks flush but you were unashamed and desperately wanted more.

            “Wh-what time is it?” he asked, struggling to come to his senses. You fumbled with your phone, still reeling. “12:05, why?”

            “Well, we might have just missed it. What a shame, but happy New Year, Lenena. Can I look forward to many more with you?” he panted. Your eyes darted across the room and then back at him as you struggled to find what to say. You wanted so desperately for this absolute stranger to be in your life, but not like this. You felt something deeper for the time being, something you felt like you had been missing for years now as you either bounced among guys and girls alike or swore off them completely for droughts at a time. This stranger was so much more than a stranger, he was a friend, someone you knew could and would understand you. Perhaps your relationship would bloom, but all you needed was more time though time was not on your side as you sat in silence, each second breaking him. At last, you bit your lip and nodded.  

            “You’ve just made me the happiest person in the new year,” he sighed contently. “Now come here, I know we’re both tired. Let’s just… let’s just take a nap,” he yawned, wrapping his arm around you and lying you down next to him.

            “Sweet dreams, Shinwoo,” you whispered shyly before kissing his cheek as your eyes drifted close.

            “Good night, Lenena. It’s so nice to meet you… again,” he whispered to himself as he too began to sleep with a smile.

           

 

 

            The events of last night flooding your brain startled you out of your sleep. You couldn’t remember if it was merely a good dream gone horribly wrong or if he had merely gone when you realized he wasn’t next to you. You fumbled for your phone and squinted at the time. 7:30 a.m. In the corner, you saw a new message. You rubbed your eyes before opening it.

 

 

 

 

Happy New Year!!! 😊

Call me old-fashioned, but write me a letter some time.

34997 Foxbury Way, Unit 136.  San Diego, CA.

Shinwoo :3