The Fine Line Between Love and Hate

It's a Freaking Big Mess

Monday is a dreadful day by nature, being the first day of the week and coming right after the weekend. However, Jae has additional reasons to fear this upcoming Monday. First, he’ll be moving to another department, and even though it means no more Mrs Kim insulting him at every given chance, there’s a possibility of someone worse taking her place. Second, he’ll be seeing Brian for the first time after the party. He can’t even choose which one to fear more.

 

Saturday has been a rollercoaster of unexpected and unfortunate happenings that has left Jae badly shaken. Mark has sent him an apology text, thoroughly explaining that even though he came with one of their classmates, Matt was not invited to the party and his presence was a surprise to all of them. Jae didn’t put the blame on anyone, just his bad luck. Plus, Matt got friends everywhere, so him being in Seoul and attending the same party as Jae must’ve been just a coincidence, a very bad one. 

 

Jae has spent the whole Sunday recovering from his hangover and the humiliation of the previous night. The fact that Brian has witnessed such a scene, of him being pinned to a wall and being harassed by his ex, makes him want to dig a hole and bury himself there till the next decade. How is he supposed to face the other from now on? Things between them are complicated enough as they are, thanks to him being a coward and avoiding Brian after the coffee incident. 

 

Will a day where he stops embarrassing himself in front of the other ever come?

 

Mrs Hong doesn’t mind his five-minute tardiness. She’s as welcoming as ever when he gets into her office. Brian is there as well, but he completely ignores his presence, which is kind of expected. It makes Jae feel bad, and sad all the same. 

 

The first dreadful part passes successfully. The Marketing Department is full of nice people who warmly welcome them, and the chief is impossibly friendly, a great contrast to the nightmare that Mrs. Kim was. The casual atmosphere is very different from the accounting department, allowing him to relax a little bit. Jae now has one less problem to worry about. All that is left to do is to clarify things with Brian. The latter doesn’t seem upset per se, he’s just keeping a good distance between them. It can’t be even classified as him avoiding Jae, which is a good thing. 

 

When it’s time for lunch, he finds himself standing next to Brian’s desk, confidently asking him to have lunch together. If the younger is surprised, he doesn’t show it. Instead, he nods and follows him to the cafeteria. There’s an awkward silence when they sit at their usual table, something that has never existed between them. They’ve always had something to say, even when they used to hate each others’ guts. 

 

“I think I’ll start,” Jae decides that first things comes first, “About the coffee incident, I’m sorry.”

Brian’s eyes widen in surprise, “What?”

“I know you didn’t do it on a purpose.”

“Yeah, but I should be the one apologizing. Why are you-”

“I’m sorry for avoiding you afterwards,” he clarifies. 

Brian seems skeptical about it, “So you’re not mad at me?” 

“No I’m not,” Jae insists firmly, gaining a confused frown in response.

“But why did-”

“-Avoid you?” Brian nods, “I was embarrassed,” he replies, voice getting smaller. The other doesn’t seem to get it, so he adds, “You saw me crying.”

“Oh.”

“Yeah, oh.”

Brian smiles apologetically, “I’m terribly sorry about that. It was all my fault.”

“It was an accident. And it’s not your fault. That woman is just too mean,” he grimaces at the mere memory of Mrs. Kim and Brian mirrors his expression.

“So are we cool now?” 

 

Jae is hoping the other will say yes so they could leave everything that had happened behind. However, Brian doesn’t seem to share the same mind as him. 

 

“Not yet.”

“What? Why?”

“We still have to talk about the party.”

“Please don’t!” Jae whines, hiding his face behind his hands.

“I just want to make sure you’re fine,” Brian’s voice and face are oozing with genuineness that Jae can’t doubt.  

“It’s no big deal,” he says casually, although his hand unconsciously travels to the collar of his shirt and tugs on it in attempt to cover any visible marks. Brian follows the movement with his eyes and seems to understand.

“You sure? Do you want to talk about it?” 

 

Jae has never expected Brian to have such a caring, warm side, and to be very honest, he’s liking it way too much. Somehow, it’s encouraging him to open up and talk about things he’s been running away from for so long. Hell, even Wonpil avoids this topic like the plague, knowing how moody it gets him. 

 

“It’s a long, boring story,” he tries as his last attempt to dismiss the topic.

“I love long, boring stories.” 

Brian’s smile is mischievous and his eyes are anticipating. So, sighting in defeat, Jae gives in. Here goes nothing. 

“Mathew is my ex.”

The other nods, “I got that much.”

“Well, long story short, we were friends in high school, then sweethearts in college. It was nice at first, he was the perfect boyfriend, my first boyfriend actually. But then we had too many fights and we needed a break from each other. Two days later, he found himself someone new. We didn’t have an official breakup and I didn’t even tell him that I was leaving,” he says in one breath, suddenly feeling a burden lifting from over his chest. 

“So you basically ran away from him and came to Seoul?” Brian doesn’t say it in a judging way. He looks rather amused, as if he’s never expected him to do something like that.

Jae shrugs casually, “You can say so. I was too hurt and upset to care. I regret not facing him back then though. Maybe if I did, he wouldn’t have done that at the party.” 

“He’s just an . I’m sorry you had to go through that.” 

Rather than pity, Brian is showing sympathy, which Jae appreciates a lot.

“Nah, I’m over him, really,” Jae reassures him, “But seriously, thank you for helping me back then. Although I wish I was the one to punch him.”

Brian laughs wholeheartedly at his last comment and Jae wonders why he’s never noticed how lovely it sounded.  

“I don’t think your punch would’ve done him any harm, since I’ve got a taste of it before.”

He rolls his eyes, “Do you seriously think I had any intention to harm you when I punched you before?”

“You didn’t?” Brian frowns in question.

“Of course not!” now Jae is offended, “You’re annoying, that’s true, mean sometimes as well, but I had no valid reason to hurt you, like really, really hurt you.”

When the confused look stays on the other’s face, Jae adds, “I’m black belt in Taekwondo, and I was suspended once in high school because I broke a guy’s arm in a fight. So who’s the really weak one now?”

The small revelation renders the other dumbfounded, which satisfies Jae, “That’s what I thought.”

Brian shakes his head with a small smile as he goes back to eating, and Jae does the same. He feels so much better now. This recent series of misunderstandings made him realize the important part Brian has secured in his life. Now, he wants their relationship to stay as it is. He doesn’t want to go back to the Jae and Brian they were before the internship.

 

“So what are we now?” he finds himself asking out of nowhere. He really want to put a label to their relationship.

“What about friends?” Brian is hesitant, as if he’s expecting him to reject. To reassure him, Jae smiles brightly and tells him that “Friends is good.” 

And he really means it. The last month has been a good eye-opener for him. It made him realize what a kind person Brian is under all that annoying behavior, and how they had a great potential to become really close. Usually, it would’ve taken Jae months to open up to new friends. He didn’t have that problem with Brian, his former number one enemy. It feels like he’s talking with an old friend. Their fights seem like a very distant memory now. 

 

“How did you get my phone number though?”

The sudden question makes him choke on his food, so Brian hands him a cup of water which he drinks gladly.

“I got it from Jaebum,” he admits, fighting a blush. He’s really hoped Brian won’t bring that text message up. After the party, he felt the need to thank Brian but didn’t know how to contact him. Thankfully, he had Jaebum’s phone number, and the guy didn’t seem to mind.

Brian gasps in faux betrayal, “That traitor!” 

“Whatever! Just save my number.” 

“Done!” the sheepish grin on Brian’s face forces his lips to make the same expression. However, when the other pushes his phone in his face, showing him that he’s saved his number as ‘Chicken Little’, he frowns and swears at him. 

“If you don’t change that our friendship ends here!” he threatens, but Brian doesn’t seem to take him seriously. He’s just laughing at him.

“You’re so freaking annoying!” is the only comeback Jae can think about at the moment, especially with how pleasant Brian’s laugh sounds right now.

 

At the end of the day, Jae decides that this, by far, was the best Monday he’s ever lived. 

 

 

 

-

 

 

Super Jin: r u up?

1Pill: yeah

Super Jin: can’t sleep?

1Pill: yep :/

1Pill: u 2?

Super Jin: too much inspiration  

1Pill: OOOUUUH 

1Pill: NEW SONG?

Super Jin: u can say so ;)

1Pill: can’t wait *__*

1Pill: but I need sleep

Super Jin: NO!

Super Jin: don’t leave me!!!

1Pill: sorry

1Pill: good night Sungjin ;)

Super Jin: whatever!

Super Jin: good night :)

 

 

-

 

 

Jae hears the sound of the motorcycle before he sees it. It’s been a while since Brian has last startled him in the morning. He’s waiting for the loud scream, but it doesn’t come. Instead, the motorcycle stops just by his side, and its rider takes his helmet off, revealing a grinning Brian.

“Good morning Jaehyung.” 

“You know it’s hyung for you right?” Jae decides to point it out, since he’s noticed that the younger enjoys not using honorifics with him. 

 

Jae would hate to admit how much he likes the way Brian calls his name. He’s gotten so used to being ‘Jae’ that ‘Jaehyung’ sounds so rigid and formal to his ears. Even teachers don’t call him by it. However, when Brian says it, he makes it sound very intimate, almost like an endearment. He’s only scolding him now because he’s a big hypocrite.

“Yeah whatever,” Brian, thankfully, ignores his complaint and throws him a helmet, “Put that on and let’s go.”

The older stands clueless for a second before dumbly asking, “What?”

Brian sighs before putting it himself over Jae’s head, “I’m driving you to work today. So let’s go!” he taps the top of the helmet after securing it over his head. 

For some long seconds, Jae stands his ground, doesn’t move an inch.

“What are you waiting for?”

“I-I’ve never rode on a motorcycle before,” Jae admits, embarrassed. 

To his great surprise, Brian doesn’t mock him for it. He just smiles understanding, “Don’t worry. All you gotta do is hold on tight,” he encourages him and patiently waits for him to get on the seat behind him. When he’s fully seated, a few inches separating them, Jae hesitantly holds the sides of Brian’s jacket. He’s already feeling the awkwardness of their position. What doesn’t help is the other taking his hands and bringing them further to the front, forcing Jae to lean closer.

“We’re going now!” Brian announces before speeding up.

Jae is scared at first, his hands wrapping tighter around the rider’s waist and his chest getting closer to his back. But Brian is a prudent driver, respecting all the signs and never surpassing the speed limit. So Jae relaxes, bit by bit, until he’s enjoying the crisp morning air against his face and the movement of the motorcycle zigzagging between other vehicles. 

The ride ends fast since it takes way less than it usually does with the bus. When Brian shuts off the engine, Jae realizes that he’s practically been back-hugging him for the whole ride. He lets go and hops off in a flash. He’s sure his whole face is burning, but he’ll blame it on the cold breeze from earlier. Jae takes off the helmet and hands it to Brian with a mumbled thank you. Fortunately, the latter doesn’t seem to notice his bashfulness.

 

“So this is how being early looks like,” Jae comments when they step in the almost empty office. Brian by his side snickers, “Such a lovely sight huh?”

“You didn’t get scolded for being late every single day so,” Jae shrugs, not bothering to finish his sentence. He knows the other understands. He throws his bag on his desk and sits, contemplating what to do next to kill time.

Brian follows him and leans on his desk, “Well, I was thinking,” he starts hesitantly, “What if we start coming to work together, just like today?”

Is Brian seriously asking to drive him to work everyday? This guy is just so unpredictable. 

“Are you serious?”

Eyes bright, Brian nods repetitively, and Jae doesn’t have the heart to say no to such an enthusiastic offer.

“Okay. I’m in.”

 

 

-

 

Super Jin: Chinese or Japanese?

Super Jin: can’t decide

Super Jin: Wonpil?

Super Jin: r u there?

Super Jin: I got jajangmyeon  

Super Jin: who needs your opinion anyways?!

Super Jin: I’m a grown up man

Super Jin: I can decide my dinner for myself!

1Pill: I’M SO SORRY!!

1Pill: I was out

1Pill: didn’t see your texts

Super Jin: ’s okay

1Pill: how was dinner?

Super Jin: delicious i guess

1Pill: good :)

 

 

-

 

 

Chicken Little: Don’t wait for me 

Chicken Little: I’m not going to work today

 

Brian wakes up to those two texts from Jae, which makes him worry sick. The older has never skipped a day, not even when Mrs Kim was giving him hell, so what has happened? 

 

Bribri: is everything okay?

 

Jae is usually fast to reply, but not today, which worries him even more. He waits and waits, checking his phone every few minutes, but he gets nothing in return. Brian thinks of asking their chief. Maybe he knows the reason behind Jae’s absence. But the whole department is too busy preparing for an upcoming big project and he doesn’t want to disturb anyone with his questions. He should be helping them instead. He barely survives till lunch with his increasing concern. God only knows what could’ve happened if Jae didn’t finally respond.

 

Chicken Little: Sorry 

Chicken Little: I was sleeping 

Chicken Little: it’s the damned flue x_x

 

Brian feels so stupid. Of course Jae is sick! How could he not think of that possibility? He sighs in relief all the same. At least it’s nothing worse.

 

Bribri: r u feeling better now?

Chicken Little: yeah

Chicken Little: just dizzy

Bribri: fever?

Chicken Little: it’s getting down

Bribri: did u take smthg for it?

Chicken Little: yes mom! I took my meds

Chicken Little: and I’m going back to sleep

Chicken Little: now u go back to work!

Bribri: FINE!!!!

 

Although sick, Jae is still the same. Brian smiles fondly at his phone. He now feels at ease and ready to get back to work. A couple of hours later, he gets spammed by texts from Jae, who seems like dying out of boredom.

 

Chicken Little: how to have fun without leaving bed?

Chicken Little: but no movies or books

Chicken Little: can’t listen to music too, because: headache

Chicken Little: do u know a good game?

Chicken Little: yo bri

Chicken Little: talk to me

Chicken Little: don’t be rude

Bribri: WHAAT!!!!

Chicken Little: I’m bored

Bribri: so? 

Chicken Little: entertain me

Bribri: go annoy someone else

Bribri: I’m working remember? 

Chicken Little: can’t

Chicken Little: I’m alone

Bribri: Wonpil?

Chicken Little: he’s back home

Chicken Little: that traitor

Bribri: poor u

Bribri: gotta go

Bribri: sorry!

Chicken Little: k

 

Brian would’ve liked to tease the other or entertain him. But, he is busy helping the other employees and covering for Jae’s absence. He keeps thinking about the taller being alone anyways. He didn’t know that Wonpil has went back home, which is not a surprise because one, he and Wonpil never share explicit details about their days, and two, they haven’t talked in days. 

Coming to think about it, their conversations has been getting shorter and shorter recently, Wonpil’s replies late and sounding half-hearted. It saddens him. He wants to make excuses for the other, like being busy or having a problem, but he’s got the impression that he’s been replaced, that Wonpil has found someone else. Who is even he kidding. He needs to determine their relationship status first. 

No more texts from Jae for the rest of the day, and even though Brian has been reassured, there’s some concern still sitting at the back of his mind. He tries to convince himself that Jae is old enough to take care of himself and is probably sleeping the fever off. 

Questions still arise whatsoever. Did he eat? Did he take his medicine? Does he have everything he needs? What if he collapses and no one is there for him? It keeps nagging at Brian through the whole afternoon until he’s standing at Jae’s door. Don’t ask him how he got the room number. 

After a good ten minute of contemplation, he decides to knock. There’s no sounds coming from inside the room even after the third knock, which only fuels his creative imagination. If he didn’t hear the weak “The door is open, come in”, he would’ve ended up breaking the door or something. 

“Jae?” he calls softly as soon as he steps inside. The lights are off, but the muted movie playing on the TV allows him to see the big lump on the bed. 

“Who is it?” the question sounds panicked. For a second Brian thinks he’s got the wrong room, so he turns the lights on. No, it’s the right one. Jae is sitting on the bed, wrapped in his covers, eyes squinting because of the bright lighting and lack of glasses. When Brian notices the defensive posture of the older, he tries to reassure him, “It’s just me, don’t worry.” 

Jae’s body visibly relaxes, his eyes getting adjusted to the lights, although the confusion on his features, “Brian? What are you doing here?” 

“Checking on you idiot! How are you feeling now?” he tries to be causal as he walks to the bed, getting a closer look at Jae. He’d be laughing his off at the other’s messy bed hair if the paleness of his face wasn’t that alarming. Jae looks like he’s been sick for days, what’s with the sunken cheeks and the dark bags under his eyes. He’s also still recovering from the shock of Brian’s unexpected visit. 

Out of instinct, Brian puts his hand on the other’s forehead to check his temperature, “You’re still warm. When did you last take your fever meds?”

“Uhm,” Jae’s eyes are dazed, his face red. Looks like the fever is back, “It’s been four hours I think.”

“You need to take them again. But food first. Did you eat anything? Are you hungry?” 

“I-I don’t have any appetite,” Jae stutters.

“But you need to eat. I brought you porridge,” he shows him the plastic bag in his hand, before putting it on the kitchenette’s counter, “You need to eat it while it’s still warm.”

Not caring about the other’s protests, Brian pours the porridge in a bowl, gets the necessary utensils and a glass of water and put them all on a tray, then takes them to Jae. The latter is reluctant at first, but no one is as stubborn as Brian, especially when ‘mother hen Younghyun’ mode is on.

While Jae slowly eats the porridge, eyes focused on the movie, Brian sits at the edge of the bed and takes his time inspecting the room. Even though it’s the exact same size as his, it looks nothing like it. It’s more tidy and organized for a start. Also, it looks bigger since the two beds are pushed together against the wall, looking like a one big bed instead of two. A part of the extra space is occupied by a third desk that is obviously used for gaming. 

Another remarkable detail about it is how homy it looks. The wall is garnished with pictures of the two roommates with their families and friends. Just like how there’s no separation between their beds, it’s the same with their lives and families. 

“Your room is really not what I’ve expected,” he blurts out. 

Jae stills for a second before chuckling, “And what did you expect, Mr Kang?” 

“I don’t know, something messier?”

The other rolls his eyes, “Sorry to disappoint but I’m a neat person.”

“Well I’m not,” Brian confesses with a shrug.

Jae has the audacity to giggle, mockingly, “I kind of guessed that.”

 

After too much nagging from Brian, Jae finishes his dinner and takes his meds. Now that he’s made sure the other is not dying, Brian should go back to his room, but he doesn’t. Jae is having a Marvel movies marathon and he can’t leave him have it alone, now can he? He cuts them a big plate of fruits- because fruits are good for recovery- and gets comfy on the bed next to Jae. 

Since they both have watched the movies hundreds of times before, they don’t mind the random conversations that pop up every now and then, movie related or not.  An hour has turned into two, then three, a movie has ended and another one started, but none of them seem to have the heart to end their time together. Jae seems much better now, which encourages Brian to stay longer.

 

“Well, I usually go back home with him. But this time because of the internship, I couldn’t,” Jae is currently explaining the reason behind Wonpil’s sudden departure, “ I mean I already feel guilty he’s staying here because of me during the vacation, and then he said he’s not going back for his mother’s birthday, so I kicked him out!” 

Brian nods, smiling widely at the other’s tendency to use his hands while speaking, to describe the situation. A small grumble coming from Jae’s direction catches Brian’s attention. Then, he notices the sheepish smile on the taller’s face.

“Do you cook?” 

Brian frowns in confusion. Didn’t the sickness make him lose his appetite? He’s ate most of the fruits after the porridge, emptied a bowl of pop corn and drank two glasses of juice so far. Oh right, Wonpil did say something about Jae becoming a beast when he was recovering. And he’s probably didn’t eat anything before Brian came, so he kind of understands his sudden hunger.

“I manage,” he replies, confident in his cooking skills. 

He shouldn’t be, really. 

 

-

 

“I thought you said you manage,” Jae comments after minutes of watching Brian struggling in the small kitchen space. 

“And I thought you don’t have any appetite! What’s with ramyun at this hour?” Brian protests, although he doesn’t try to defend his seemingly nonexistent cooking skills. He shouldn’t anyways, not when he’s almost dropped the packs of flavor with the ramyun in the pot just two seconds ago.

“The fever is gone so I’ve regained it. And I need food to recover, remember?” 

“Yeah, food like vegetables and fruits, not ramyun. That’s unhealthy.”

“That’s you complaining because you can’t cook.” 

“I CAN!”

Jae’s had enough of sitting still while the other was ruining his potential second dinner, so he wraps himself in his covers and drags them with him as he goes to inspect the situation from up close. He looks over Brian’s shoulder to see the pot then clicks his tongue in disapproval, “You’ve put too much water, and it’s time to add the eggs.”

He can physically sense Brian rolling his eye as he reaches for the two eggs.

“Do you know how to crack an egg?” he asks teasingly, gaining a jab in the ribs by Brian’s elbow. To prove his competency, Brian cracks the eggs without dropping any shells inside the pot.

“Wow, such a professional!” Jae tries to sound amazed, just to further annoy the shorter, which he does successfully. Brian turns his head in his direction with a scowl, a smart comeback at the tip of his tongue. 

However, there’s a miscalculation of the distance separating them and their noses end up brushing. Too taken aback by the surprising contact, they both freeze in that position, just staring into each other’s eyes. 

Jae has no idea how he ended up leaning that close to Brian without taking notice. For now, he’d say it’s the result of two weeks of riding on the back of Brian’s motorcycle, practically back-hugging him. It certainly has nothing to do with the alluring warmness of Brian’s back, or how comforting he finds it. Not at all.

He’s also got no explanation for the sudden desire to lean closer and kiss Brian other than it being the natural subconscious reaction of being in close proximity with such an attractive person. And yes, Jae has always been aware of how good looking the other is, and now he has a better chance to see it up close and appreciate it. 

His eyes keep alternating from Brian’s hypnotizing eyes to his enticing lips, causing his heart rate to speed up. Brian’s eyes are doing the same as his own, although Jae is sure he’s the only one with the inappropriate thought of kissing the other. 

Finally, the rational side of his brain takes over and forces his body to take a step back, which he does in a not so subtle way, “I-I think it’s done. Turn off the stove,” he says to hide his flustered state. Not to embarrass himself any more, Jae rushes back to the bed, trying to calm his frantic heart and hoping his blush will go away by the time Brian brings him his dinner.

He shouldn’t be that perturbed by what has just happened, shouldn’t overthink it at all. But it’s beyond him. After all, he’s just used all of his willpower not to kiss Brian, someone he’s spent a lot of time hating on and fighting with. And the scariest part? While he is certain that if he initiates a kiss, Brian will most likely push him away, Jae is not sure he’ll do the same if it is the way around. 

If Brian initiates a kiss, Jae is sure as hell he’ll kiss him back, and he’s not ready to analyze the implication of such realization.

 

“We’re already at Infinity war? I freaking love this movie!” Brian exclaims as he joins him on the beds, bringing two bowls of ramyun on a tray. They eat in silence, both of them focused on the movie, or at least Brian is. Jae is stiffily staring at the screen while his brain is going overdrive. 

Fortunately, between laughing at Brian’s perfect recitation of all the dialogues of the movie and listening to his conspiracy theories, his brain gets too distracted, allowing him to relax a little bit. So, with a full stomach and a peaceful mind, he dozes off halfway through the movie. He’s still aware of his surroundings, the sound effects loud enough to keep him from falling into deep sleep, and to catch the sniffle coming from the other side of the bed. 

The first thing Jae notices when he opens his eyes is that the movie has reached its end with almost everyone turning into dust. There’s only the credits and the post-credits scene left now. Brian has been silent for so long so he expect him to be asleep as well. It turns out he’s not.

“Are you, crying?” Jae panics at the sight of Brian’s red watery eyes.

“I am not!” Brian objects, although he’s rubbing his eyes in frustration, still sniffling. 

“You are,” Jae takes a wild guess of the reason behind the other’s tears, and he’s super amused by it. He’s barely controlling his laughter.

“Okay I am,” he admits defeatedly, “That part always gets me,” he points at the TV. Jae’s guess turns out to be right after all. 

He coos loudly at Brian’s sulky expression and big pout, “You’re such a big baby!”

“Hey! It’s just too heartbreaking, okay?” he sniffles again before starting a long rant about what makes every death scene as sad as it is. Jae can’t help but stare fondly at him. This is another side of Brian he’s seeing for the first time and would love to see more and more in the future. It’s just too cute and lovable and it warms Jae’s heart and awakens the butterflies in his stomach. 

 

Park Jaehyung you’re so freaking doomed. 

 

Brian seems to notice Jae’s intense gaze and the lack of teasing -the expected reaction to being a softy, according to their current relationship status- and he gets shy. 

“It’s really late. I better leave.”

Jae finally snaps out of it when Brian stands up, getting his jacket and slipping his shoes on at the same time. He’s suddenly, and unreasonably, panicking. He really doesn’t want him to leave.

“Brian?” he calls as soon as the other opens the door. Brian turns to him with a questioning look. 

If it wasn’t inappropriate and Brian didn’t live in the same building, Jae would ask him to stay for the night. But he’s already making things super awkward between them, so with a heavy heart, he swallows back his ridiculous request and says something else instead, “Thank you for taking care of me, Brian.”

A warm smile breaks on Brian’s face, “Good night Jaehyung.”

 

And Jae’s heart skips a beat for the hundredth time in that hour alone.

 

He doesn’t sleep a wink that night, too distraught by his own heart’s shenanigans. The first few hours go with him stressfully pacing the room back and forth, back and forth, and when he gets too tired, he flops on the bed and keeps thrashing around. He tries listening to some music to calm him down, but how come ninety percent of the songs on his playlist are about feelings he rather not think about? And he definitely can’t listen to Sungjin’s songs because that will only worsen his dilemma. 

If he goes another second without talking to someone, he’ll explode. It’s seven in the morning- he didn’t even realize that it’s morning yet- so he calls Wonpil. His best friend is an early bird so he’s probably awake by now. Thankfully, he picks up after the second ring.

“Are you dying?” is the first thing his best friend questions. It certainly has to do with Jae’s inability to wake up early.

“I think I am,” he replies, Wonpil’s teasing tone already making him calmer. He should have done this since last night.

“Why do I feel that it has nothing to do with your fever?” as usual, Wonpil is too good at detecting Jae’s troubled mood.

“You’re right,” he pauses, thinking of what to say next. He’s not ready to admit anything out loud, and certainly not on the phone, “I’ll tell you about it when you’re back.”

He can almost see Wonpil nodding understanding, “I need to have a talk with myself first,” he adds.

“Take your time Jae. I can wait.”

Wonpil’s words and soft voice almost make him cry, “Thanks Pillie.”

“Just don’t do anything stupid before I come.”

Jae genuinely chuckles. He ends the phone call with a lighter heart and a better mood, which helps him sleep through the whole day.

He wakes up in the late afternoon to a grinning Brian at his doorstep with their dinner. Jae does his best not to seem awkward or uncomfortable around the other, and when Brian asks what’s wrong he lies and blames it on his sickness. It only worsens the younger’s fuss over his health. He insists on burying Jae in more covers and checking his temperature every half an hour. It’s a nightmare really. He only relaxes when Jae starts cracking some bad jokes. 

 

“Do you have any plans for tomorrow?” Brian asks out of nowhere. They’ve both been silent for the last ten minutes or so, focused on the variety show playing on the TV.

“Tomorrow?” Jae takes a moment to remember what day of the week it is. He easily loses count when he stays inside for days. 

“Tomorrow is a Saturday Jaehyung,” Brian deadpans, not the least surprised by his forgetfulness. 

“Oh right,” Jae grins sheepishly, getting an eye roll in response. 

“Anyways, Wonpil is coming back in the afternoon so maybe we’ll have dinner together. I think that’s about it. Why?”

“Well, there’s this new barbecue place that the guys has been wanting to try for a while,” he starts casually. Jae guesses that by ‘guys’ he means Sungjin and Dowoon, maybe Jaebum as well, “So we’re all going tomorrow and we’d want you to join us.” 

Jae doesn’t respond because Brian seems like he still got something to add. His ears are getting red, as if he’s getting shy. Jae doesn’t see the reason behind it. That until Brian finally says, “You and Wonpil.”

There’s a pause. Jae is not surprised that Wonpil is invited. He’s been getting really well with Sungjin, and he’s met Brian and Dowoon too. However, his brain chooses that exact moment to remind him about Brian’s first impression on Wonpil. 

“He probably likes me.” 

Of course! How could he forget such a detail in the first place? Wonpil is so good at sensing this things, and judging by Brian’s behavior just now, it’s a certain thing that he likes Wonpil. 

Jae can sense his heart dropping, just like his smile. He’s still new to dealing with too many emotions all at once and can’t decide how to react. There’s a part of him, deep deep down, that tells him to come with an excuse and decline. But he’d love to hangout with Brian and the others once more, and can’t bring himself to say no.

 

“Count us in,” he replies with a smile that he’s sure looks super forced. Brian doesn’t seem to notice, as he’s busy trying to hide how excited he is. 

 

Jae is officially an idiot.

 

 


 

Finally an update lol I'm so sorry for disappearing for the last two weeks. Hope you like it :D