The Calm Before the Storm

It's a Freaking Big Mess

 

 

‘The American guy’ is the nickname that was given to Jae since his first day at college. Was it his style? but he only wears jeans and hoodies. Was it his hair? But he’s seen more outrageous hair colors in the last two weeks that he’s seen his entire life. Was it his accent? The students he’s spoken to so far are most native English speakers. So what was it?

 

Jae has done his best not to catch anyone’s attention, not to stick out in the crowd, but he’s ended up with that nickname anyways. Honestly, he doesn’t really care. He’s more busy recovering from that awful breakup -if it can be called that anyways-, and coping up with the change of environment and being away from his family. However, the judgmental remarks he’s been getting recently are getting too much and are starting to make him feel worse.  

 

To add to his misery, his Korean professor has taken it upon herself to embarrass him. She pays extra attention to him in class, ask him to read a complicated passage, or worse, his own writings. It’s awful to say the least. It’s only been two sessions but he dreads her classes the most.

 

“We’ve all been there,” Bernard has told him, “She doesn’t have any bad intentions though. She just wants to improve our Korean, since it’s a requirement or whatever.”

 

And Jae understands, but he’s sick of being made a fool of in front of the whole class. He’s been through enough embarrassment to last him a century so far. All he want is to be left alone for once. Is he asking for too much?

 

That day, he walks into class as if he’s walking to his doom and takes a seat in the far back, hoping the professor will notice him less if he does so. The classroom fills up gradually with his classmates. He’s yet to remember anyone’s face or name, other than Kevin and Jimin, who are currently occupying the seats by his side, bickering about something like usual.

 

“I can’t believe you got an A on last week’s paper,” the guy sitting just in front of him says to the one sitting next to him. 

 

“I can’t believe you got a C! Aren’t you Korean dude?” the other replies mockingly.

 

‘Well, I’m supposed to be Korean and I was this close to getting an F, so,’ Jae internally comments. 

 

“But I’m not a living dictionary,” the conversation between the two carries on, and Jae continues his unintentional eavesdropping. It’s not his fault if they’re being loud. 

 

“How come you’re so good in Korean AND English all the same? What’s your secret?”

 

“I study, for a start.” 

 

Jae scoff at what he’s assuming to be a sarcastic comment, louder than he’s intended though, catching both guys attention. Their heads whip into his direction, and he’s already feeling the awkwardness of the situation he’s put himself in. However, instead of muttering an apology, Jae stares. Both guys are good looking, like way above average, and one of them happens to be totally his type. 

Not finding his voice, Jae bows his head slightly as a form of apology, and as a way to hide his blush. The handsome-but-not-his-style guy returns the bow and turns away, while the other keeps staring, or glaring -Jae can’t figure it out- at him and it’s making him squirm in his seat. The professor’s arrival is for once, a blessing, as it made him turn to the front. Jae releases the breath he’s been holding for the last few, but long, seconds.  

 

The class starts in its usual manner, and Jae’s brain has no other choice other than focusing on the lecture, since most questions are directed at him. Even so, he still gets distracted by his amazingly hot classmate multiple times afterwards, but not because he’s handsome.  

 

Oh definitely not.

 

The guy is being annoying. Impossibly so.

 

At first, Jae has barely given it any attention, too busy dealing with his anxiety. After the third time, however, he’s sure as hell that the guy has been mocking his accent and laughing at him with his friend since the beginning of the session. And he’s not the only one who took notice, Kevin is glaring at the back of the guy’s head and Jimin is this close from smacking him with a chair. 

 

What’s more infuriating is that the guy didn’t miss a single chance. Every time Jae mispronounces a word, he’d repeat it after him with a -eating grin and loud enough for Jae to hear it. Then, he’d share a look with his friend, his grin getting wider. 

 

There’s almost ten minutes separating them from the end of the session, but it’s happened way too much for Jae not to be offended. As soon as the professor announces the end of the lecture, he stands up, followed by his two friends, and walks to the guy’s desk, determined. 

 

“Do you have a problem with me?” he asks furiously as soon as he’s standing in front of him.

 

The guy’s eyes widen in surprise when they lift up and meet Jae’s face. He’s got the audacity to pretend to be confused and stutter when he says, “What?” 

 

Jae is way too angry to lose time explaining himself, “Because if my accent annoys you that much you could’ve moved to another seat,” he replies, and the other still looks clueless, - pretending to is more likely.

 

“What are you talking about?”

 

Jae’s had enough with the guy playing dumb,“You know exactly what I’m talking about!” He doesn’t care if his voice has risen an octave or more. This guy deserves it.

 

“If you think you’re that good at imitating people you could’ve chosen a career that suits your talent more!” 

 

The confusion finally disappears from the guy’s face, getting replaced by indignation, “What the hell are you talking about?” 

 

Now, Jae is done with this useless conversion, “I don’t want to waste more time with you, so let me say this clearly,” his voice drops to a lower tone, “don’t you dare mess with me again,” he says, holding his index up in the other’s face.

 

The guy huffs in both disbelief and anger, “Are you threatening me right now?!!” 

 

He exclaims as he stands up, to match Jae’s level. Too bad he’s still shorter than him. 

 

“No,” Jae smirks, “That was a warning.”

 

“What if I mess with you? What will you do about it?” 

 

“I’ll make you regret it,” Jae replies, confident.

 

“We’ll see about that,” the guy says with one last angry glare before leaving, his friend on his tail.

 

Later on, Jae is told that the guy’s name is Kang Brian. He’ll remember the guy’s name afterwards as his number one enemy.  

 

 

-

 

 

Bribri: r u still up for today?

Chicken Little: ofc ;) 

Bribri: and wonpil?

Chicken Little: yep

Chicken Little: he’s coming around 4 tho

Bribri: okay

Bribri: sungjin’s dropping by at 5

Chicken Little: great :)

 

 

Jae throws his phone on the mattress without waiting for Brian’s response. He doesn’t think he can handle the other’s excitement right now, not when he’s such a mess himself. His brain is fried from the countless, yet futile, hours of trying to figure out his own emotions. It’s driving him nuts. 

 

The only thing he’s sure of is that Brian is the reason behind his current misery. Why? Because Brian is all he’s been thinking about for days. And it’s only getting worse, with his brain doing a projection of every single memory he’s had with the guy, starting by their, not so good, first meeting, till their cosy dinner last night. 

 

It’s making Jae think of the flutter he’s felt when he’s first laid his eyes on Brian, just a few minutes before declaring war on him. He’d be lying if he said he didn’t feel it again in the course of the year and a half of knowing Brian. He’d feel it whenever he’d witness Brian being nice to others, or when he’d see him study in the library or focused on a book, also when he’d say something brilliant in class, or when he’d make a good presentation, and the list goes on. 

 

Coming to think of it, Jae has spent too much time watching Brian -more than he’s willing to admit to- and more time afterwards reprimanding himself for wavering, even the slightest. He’s always tried to convince himself that all those are pretentious acts. Except, they’re not, he’s learned that recently. Brian is a good person despite everything that has happened between them. Jae himself has done and said some really bad to the other, so he has no right to judge him for it. 

 

Jae buries his head in his pillow and releases a loud scream, hoping it will lessen the heaviness in his chest, or at least get Brian out of his mind for a while. It doesn’t work.

 

“Why the hell does everything have to do with Brian now?” he thrashes violently on the bed, frustrated, arms and legs flailing in all direction, “Life was better when we used to be enemies,” he says in the empty room. Although he’s alone and he’s sure no one has heard him, saying those words make him feel bad whatsoever, because he’s obviously lying to himself. 

 

Images of Brian smiling happily while eating, Brian looking at him fondly when he he gets too immersed in telling a story, Brian’s habit of crunching his nose when being annoying, his concerned face when he took care of a sick Jae, his pouty lips when he sulks, his watery eyes after crying for the death of imaginary characters, and millions more flood his mind. They make his heart hammer in his chest, but still calm him all the same.

 

What have you done to me?

 

Both reactions are alarming and he expects them to worsen his confusion. But then, his body stills for a second, even his heart stops beating, and the fog clouding his mind finally, finally, clears up. And everything falls into place.

 

“!” he shrieks, sitting up abruptly, eyes wide, “I like Brian?” 

 

He grins, happy that his dilemma is finally solved, “I LIKE BRIAN!” he screams, feeling a weight lift off his chest. But it only takes a second before a heavier one takes its place.

 

“oh,” his smile drops as soon as it’s appeared.

 

Brian likes Wonpil. 

 

Brian doesn’t like me.

 

 

 

Having two groundbreaking realizations hit all at once can cause a big troll on anyone’s state of mind, and Jae is no exception. He’s contemplated canceling his plan with Brian, but he couldn’t think of any convincing excuse. And what is he going to tell Wonpil? 

 

Deciding on not being a coward for once, Jae pushes all of his concerns and personal problems to the back of his mind, puts a happy facade and welcomes his roommate with a smile. 

 

“How are you now?” Wonpil asks, voice laced with concern. 

 

“I’m fine, just a little bit tired,” he replies, smile never falling. Jae has decided not tell him anything. The last thing he wants to do is to complicate things between him and Wonpil. Knowing the latter, he’ll only blame himself for this ed up situation.  

 

Wonpil doesn’t look like he’s bought his lie, but he lets it go for now. Jae is certain there will be a confrontation later, so he’ll have to think of a better lie. But that’s for later. Now, he has to prepare himself psychologically and mentally for the dinner.  

 

Jae’s brain has been too preoccupied that he’s totally forgotten about Sungjin, his alleged crush. Recently, he’s been subconsciously avoiding thinking about him, or even talking to him, because he’s already confused. He didn’t need to add oil to the fire. But as he compares his heart’s reaction to the sight of Sungjin waving at them from the driver’s seat, and its reaction to the sight of Brian in the back seat, all excited, he starts to think that he’s just forgotten about Sungjin’s existence, as unbelievable as it sounds. 

 

It’s all Brian’s fault.

 

He takes a deep breath, bracing himself for the upcoming long night, then gets into the car, after Wonpil of course. He’d prefer not sit between those two for now, or anywhere near Brian for the time being. 

 

The mood in the car is light and friendly this time, unlike the last time they all drove together. Jae lets himself get distracted by the ongoing chatter, even though he’s not participating much in it, and by the time they reach the barbecue place, he is feeling less nervous.

 

They choose a booth in the back of the restaurant so they could be loud without annoying anyone. Dowoon sits at the head of the table, and for obvious reasons, Wonpil pushes Jae to sit across Sungjin, while he sits across Brian. And while he’s sure Wonpil has done it with good intentions, Jae can’t help but resent him for it, especially whenever he catches that love-stricken look on Brian’s face as he converses with Wonpil. Also, Jae can’t help the tug in his heart, so he decides to avoid looking in Brian’s direction as much as possible. 

 

Thankfully, Dowoon and Sungjin are good company. They’re doing their best to cheer him up - probably noticing his foul mood- and it’s making Jae feel guilty as hell. He doesn’t want to look like he’s forced to be here when he is genuinely starting to enjoy his time with them -those two at least-, so he starts giving more than two-syllable answers and participating more in their conversation.

 

 

“Jae, why are you not eating?” Wonpil asks worriedly when he notices his still-full rice bowl. He could’ve noticed earlier, if Brian wasn’t keeping him busy with whatever topic they’ve been discussing so far. And no, Jae is not bitter about it. Definitely not!

 

“Here, I’ll make a wrap for you,” he puts a big piece of meat on a lettuce leaf and starts dumping all of Jae’s favorite ingredients on top of it. 

 

“You’re treating me nicely, this is weird. Do you need something from me?” Jae jokes, not to let his uneasiness show.

 

“Come on hyung!” Wonpil whines in protest, “Can’t I be nice to you every now and then? Plus I wasn’t there when you were sick, so I’m trying to compensate for that.” 

 

“Says the one who hates dealing with me when I’m sick,” he says under his breath. Wonpil grins sheepishly as he pushes the wrap into his face. 

 

“But I’ll forgive you since you called me hyung,” Jae says before opening his mouth and devouring the wrap. He munches with a content expression.

 

“Is Jae hyung older than Wonpil hyung?” Dowoon questions, confused. Well, he doesn’t blame him. Only few know about that piece of information. 

 

“Jaehyung is the same age as Sungjin hyung,” Brian beats him and explains it to the youngest. Jae is dying to know who’s told him about it. The first suspect is Wonpil and his blabber mouth.

 

“How come he’s in the same year as you then?” 

 

Finally a question Brian doesn’t have the answer to. Or that’s what he thought.

 

“He studied Political Science for a year before he changed majors and came here,” Brian answers casually. 

 

What the-

 

“How the hell do you know that?” 

 

Jae is addressing Brian for the first time tonight, the shock pushing him to break his resolve.  But seriously, how did he know about Jae’s former major? 

 

The response he gets is a casual shrug from Brian, who resumes eating afterwards like nothing has happened. Jae, however, has seen the panic in his eyes and the redness of his ears, making him really curious it. He makes a mental note to get a real answer from Brian later, when they’re alone and he’s less nervous around him.

 

“How was it?” Sungjin interjects, maybe out of curiosity or just wanting to save his friend.

 

Anyways, Jae answers with an honest, “I can’t remember. I didn’t really go to class,” that gains him a collective laugh from the others, save for Brian. The latter looks at him with something akin to worry before he diverts his eyes and regains his cheerful smile. Jae doesn’t ponder on it, believing he’s imagining it. 

 

Why would Brian be worried about me anyways?

 

The night goes on with them ordering and consuming more portions of meat while talking and joking around until they’re all feeling full. 

 

“Suddenly my wallet is shaking,” Brian jokingly comments at the empty plates and bottles scattered all along their table. 

 

Sungjin scoffs, “Do I need to remind you of how much I paid on my birthday’s dinner? It’s like you starved yourself for a week!” 

 

Both Dowoon and Brian snigger at a memory that Jae and Wonpil are totally clueless of.

 

“Well it seems that I’ll have to starve myself for a week after paying this bill,” Brian retorts as he stands up and takes his wallet out. 

 

“Wait,” Wonpil stops him, “Why are you the one paying? Shouldn’t we share the bill or something?” he asks the same question that’s been going on Jae’s mind. Brian doesn’t answer right away, both flustered and hesitant. Honestly, he is painfully obvious, and if Jae wasn’t having a hard time watching because of his feelings for Brian, he’d be having a hard time watching because of the second hand embarrassment nonetheless. 

 

Thank God for Sungjin, who interferes, saving Brian’s once more, “Oh, this idiot didn’t tell you?” 

 

They both shake their heads in unison. 

 

“I’ll be right back guys!” seemingly more embarrassed than ever, Brian flees to the cashier, his actions entertaining his friends even more. 

 

“So, what is it?” Wonpil ushers him to continue his explanation.

 

“We just have a habit of treating each other to a meal on our birthdays.” 

 

While Dowoon’s reply only confuses him more, it makes Wonpil gasp and smack his shoulder, “Why didn’t you tell me it’s Brian’s birthday today?” 

 

Jae clutches the abused area, feeling wronged but mostly confused by his friend’s question, “What are you talking about? It’s Brian’s what?” 

 

His eyes move from Wonpil’s surprised face to look in question to the other two, who in return, are looking at him with open mouths and wide eyes.

 

“You didn’t know?” 

 

There’s disbelief in Sungjin’s tone, as if he’s expected Jae to know such a detail without anyone telling him. But Jae has never asked, never thought about asking, which makes him feel like an idiot. Oh, wait. He is an idiot. That has been established for a while now. This is just another proof. 

 

There’s no judging looks from Dowoon or Sungjin when he shakes his head. Sungjin even goes to the extent to reassure him with a kind smile, “It’s fine! I just thought Brian has told you. But maybe he was too shy to do so.” 

 

But Jae can’t even blame Brian for not telling him because knowing this kind of details is a friendship requirement. All he’s had to do is remember a date, but he’s failed at doing even that. All this time he’s been receiving and receiving from Brian, but what has he done for the other? He’s been too self-centered lately to care about anything other than his own damned feelings. How more selfish can he get? 

 

 

When Brian comes back after paying for their bill, Wonpil scolds him for not telling them, then wishes him a happy birthday, which renders Brian into a stuttering, red mess. Too ashamed with himself and guilty to meet the other’s eyes, Jae mumbles a simple ‘happy birthday’ before rushing out of the restaurant in the speed of light. He wants nothing but to go back to his room and wallow in guilt for the whole weekend. However, when they decide to take a walk down the busy streets, he doesn’t object. The last thing he wants to do now is to ruin the mood as well.

 

The street is buzzing with people since it’s a Friday night. The restaurants and coffee shops are crowded, same goes for the other different shops. Jae drags his feet as he follows his friends, brain not really registering what they’re talking about. They stop at intersection so he does the same without questioning the reason behind it. His eyes lazily scans his surroundings while he waits for the others to finish their discussion and move again. 

 

“Jae?” the call of his name moves his attention from the window of a gifts shop back to the group. He finds them all looking at him, waiting for his response. 

 

“Huh?” he blinks dumbly, unable to recall whatever question he was asked. 

 

“We asked you what you wanted for dessert?” Sungjin looks concerned more than irritated as he repeats for him. 

 

Jae shrugs, “Whatever you guys are getting.”

 

“That ice cream place is really popular,” Dowoon points at a crowded shop from across the street.

 

The suggestions makes Wonpil excited as well, “Oh! We should definitely try it!” 

 

Sungjin nods in approval, “Okay, let’s go th-”

 

“Jaehyung can’t eat ice cream though.” 

 

All of them turn to Brian is question, even Jae. 

 

“What do you mean?” 

 

“He’s lactose intolerant,” he states as if it’s a matter of fact. 

 

Okay, how did he know about that too? At this rate, Jae is starting to think Brian has done some researches about him or has been stalking him. The thought that maybe Brian knows too much about him because he pays extra attention to him does cross his mind, but he’s quick to dismiss it. Not quick enough to prevent the blush from forming on his cheeks though.

 

“We can have something else instead?” Sungjin suggests, guilty.

 

“No, it’s fine. I don’t feel like eating anything else anyways,” Jae reassures them with a smile, “You guys go ahead, I’ll wait for you here.”

 

The guys are reluctant to leave him there alone and Brian looks back a few times to check on him as they cross the street and go inside the shop. Jae waits till he’s sure they’ve lost sight of him before entering the gifts shop, already having a set target.

 

 

-

 

 

“Hyung, your order.”

 

The feel of something wet and cold touch his nose breaks Brian from his train of thoughts. 

 

“What the hell!” he cries wiping the ice cream from his nose before glaring at the culprit, named Yoon Dowoon. The latter pushes the ice cream cone in his face once again but Brian takes it before it touches any skin this time.

 

“Jae hyung is okay, don’t worry,” the youngest asserts with a meaningful look. Brian doesn’t have the heart to deny it because it’s true, he is worried about Jae, and it’s not because they left him outside alone. 

 

 

Brian didn’t catch it at first, thinking that it was the remnants of the flue. He was so excited for his birthday and for going out with his friends, also happy that Wonpil was there with them, that he kept missing it. But Jae has been too silent, looking like he wanted to be anywhere but there, and his smiles were half hearted, even to Sungjin. What makes it even worse is that he’s been avoiding him this whole time and it’s making Brian feel guilty when he can’t even recall doing anything to upset the other. 

 

Why does everything about Jaehyung has to be this complicated? Brian wonders with a deep sigh. 

 

 

After finishing their ice cream, the guys decide to go to a nearby bowling alley and have a championship or whatever Dowoon and Wonpil have called it -it’s scary how much those two get along and think alike-. The place they chose is huge but crowded so they have to wait for a lane. Thankfully, their waiting time doesn’t go so boringly, as they take advantage of the arcade games and the other divertissements provided at the side. 

 

Sungjin, Wonpil and Dowoon challenge each other to a basketball game and Brian is about to join them when he spots Jae at the bar, alone, idly sipping on a beer. And that’s what tips him over the edge. If he doesn’t settle this -whatever it is- within the next ten minutes, he’ll go insane. 

 

Jae barely spares him a look when he sits next to him, but the way he slightly tenses indicates that he’s noticed his presence.

 

“So, are you going to tell me what’s wrong?” Brian starts hesitantly, not knowing how to make the other open up. As expected, Jae doesn’t respond, doesn’t look like he’s intending to, so he adds, “Is it something I’ve done? Said?”  

 

At least his words this time make the taller look at him. He’s sporting a perplexed expression with a deep frown. 

 

“What? Why would you ask so?”

 

“You know why. You’ve been really upset these last two days and it feels like it’s my fault. So I’m asking you, is it because of me?” 

 

The last part comes out really softly, making him sound vulnerable. Brian hates how much Jae’s mood can affect his so easily. He doesn’t think he’ll be able to enjoy himself unless he brings the older out of his brooding state. 

 

He watches as the frown dissipates and a small smile forms on Jae’s lips, “You really think I’m upset with you?” 

 

He nods, subconsciously pouting, which makes Jae have mercy on him and say, “You’ve done nothing to make me upset so relax.” 

 

Despite being reassured, Brian cannot let it go so easily. He can be so stubborn when he wants to, “Then what is it?” 

 

Jae’s expression falls, “It’s nothing, really.”

 

There goes the lie. He’s been waiting for it to come out. 

 

“You can’t expect me to believe that,” he points out. The taller avoids his gaze, guilty.

 

“Does it have to do with your crush?”

 

The reaction his question causes is barely noticeable, with how slightly Jae’s body stiffens and how his face darkens, but it’s enough of an answer. 

 

“If they’re too stupid to appreciate what a great guy you are, then just kick the motherer out of your life! Or tell me and I’ll do it for you!” Brian blurts out, livid. 

 

But seriously, how can someone be liked by Park Jaehyung and not appreciate it? Are they blind? stupid? crazy? they has to be. This guy, sitting by his side, alone and sad, is just too lovable and deserves nothing but the best, and Brian will fight whoever says otherwise. 

 

Thankfully, his words seems to brighten Jae’s mood as he smiles at him in amusement, “You’re right. He’s definitely an idiot.”

 

The look on Jae’s face when he says those words, the wistfulness in his eyes and the sadness behind his smile, they all make Brian uneasy. A much as he wants to wrap Jae in hundreds of covers and binge watch with him all of his favorite movies, all while cuddling and eating snacks, until he’s feeling better, he feels like finding whoever broke Jae’s heart and beating him into a pulp. 

This is by far the second time Brian gets this violent against someone because of Jae. He’s always been told how overprotective he can get, but this is taking it into a whole new level. He can physically feel his blood boiling when all he’s got is a vague idea of the issue and the rest is the work of his imagination.

 

He’s about to order a drink to calm him down a little when he notices Jae placing a small blue box in front of him. Surprised, his head turns into the other’s direction so fast he almost felt a snap in his neck. 

 

“I know it’s not much but I hope you like it. Happy birthday Bribri!”

 

Despite the cheerfulness in his tone just now, Jae is blushing, his smile still dazzling and face flowing, and Brian? He’s at loss of words and openly, but not so attractively, staring at Jae. He can feel his heart doing some unexplained somersaults, but he doesn’t give it much attention, mind refusing to function at the moment. Minutes drag without him reacting in any way and it’s only intensifying Jae’s embarrassment.

 

“I still can’t believe you didn’t tell me today’s your birthday,” Jae’s tone switches to scolding and angry, obviously an attempt to hide his shyness. He then adds in a small tone, “I could’ve got you something better.”

 

“But you’re not obliged to get me anything,” Brian finally says something, and he’s managed to sound stable. 

 

“No I am. You’ve been helping me a lot lately. You even took care of me when I was sick. That’s the least I can do Brian.”

 

When they make eye contact, Brian notices something unexplained in Jae’s eyes. He wonders if it has always been there or if it’s new, he can’t seem to avert his eyes whatsoever. But Jae does, clearing his throat, “You should open it.” 

 

Brian doesn’t miss the blush dusting the older’s cheeks once more, and innerly coos at the sight. He then opens the box with great care, a fond smile automatically tugging on his lips when he sees the gift inside of it. Jae has got him two keychains, one of the Captain America’s shield and the second of the Iron Man’s mask, his two favorite avengers.

 

“OH MY GOD! They’re so cute!” he squeals loudly as he gets them out to get a closer look, “Thank you so much hyung! I love them!” 

 

Brian doesn’t hesitate to jump and hug Jae tightly to showcase his gratitude. But when he feels the way Jae freezes in his embrace, he realizes what he’s just done and retreats right away. Jae is dumbstruck for a few seconds, his face getting many shades darker. When he finally recovers, he playfully, yet awkwardly points out Brian’s slip, 

 

“You called me hyung,” before running to join the other three, leaving him alone at the bar.

 

Brian smiles at the two items in his hand, heart warming up and filling with happiness, obviously affected once more but the shift in Jae’s mood.

 

 

What the hell are you doing to me, Jaehyung?

 

 

-

 

 

 

It’s been a beautiful night and Wonpil has had a lot of fun. Even though he’s mainly accepted Brian’s invitation because of Jae, he’s also has been looking forward to hanging out with the others as well. Dowoon is his long lost soulmate, with how much they think alike and act alike, and it’s a shame they’ve only met now. Sungjin is an interesting combination of charming and weird that he’d love to get to know better. And Brian is… well, Brian. His crush is still as obvious as the sun, but it doesn’t make Wonpil think any different of him. All in all, they’re a great bunch and he’s glad he’s met them, would love to get closer to in the future. 

 

However, Wonpil could’ve enjoyed himself more if not for the awful feeling that has been torturing him since Jae’s phone call a few days ago. He’s taken notice of his best friend’s perturbed state and he understands, he’s feeling the same. The closer he gets to Sungjin, the more the guilt within him intensifies. This whole plan has been his idea and he can’t handle the idea that people might- will definitely- get hurt because of it. He doesn’t know what to do anymore. All he knows is that it’s his fault and he needs to find a way out with the least damages, although he’s sure, when pushes comes to shove, he’ll take complete responsibility for his idea and actions. 

 

“God we’re so bad at this!” Sungjin says with a laugh as he drops in the seat next to him. 

 

They finally got a lane and has started their ‘championship’. Wonpil played against Brian and lost by a very, very big gap. Honestly? it was shameful. Seeing that Sungjin didn’t do that much better against Jae makes him feel better. Now Brian and Dowoon are competing against each other, and the winner will have to face Jae in the finals. 

 

They both watch in silence as the competition is getting more fierce with every round. Wonpil is supposed to be cheering on Dowoon but he’s too consumed by his thoughts that he forgets to do so. Sungjin’s eery silence is concerning though.

 

“Wonpil-ah,” he calls, sporting a distressed expression. Said guy gives him a questioning look, waiting for him to continue. 

 

“Do you have any plans for tomorrow?”

 

He slowly shakes his head, alarmed by the serious atmosphere.

 

“Then, can we meet? just the two of us?”

 

Something about the expression on Sungjin’s face tells him that he’s not just asking him out on a date. There’s something more to this. He hopes it’s not what’s on his mind.

 

“There’s something that I need to tell you.”

 

And Wonpil agrees with a simple nod. 

 

Maybe this is my chance as well?

 

“I, too, need to tell you something.”

 


So... how was it? not too bad I hope hehe 

Okay, about the next two chapters... You guys will forgive me if I disappear for a while, right??!! when I said I can finish this by the end of the month I kind of forgot that it's midterms season and I'm so far behind >_< I'm not sure when the next two chapters are coming and I'm so sorry about that ToT 

Thank you for your constant support I really appreciate all of it and I love you guys <3 <3 <3

Have a good day/night wherever you are and see u soon!