The Frenemy

It's a Freaking Big Mess

1Pil: Thanks for the ride and dinner man :D

S.jin: np  ;)

S.jin: it was fun 

1Pil: yeah

1Pil: we should hang out more 

S.jin: definitely :)

 

Taking advantage of being the first in the office, Brian spends a good ten-minute re-reading his latest conversation he had with Wonpil. No matter how many times he’s read it, it still made him cringe all the same. He could feel the awkwardness coming out of the screen. It was, hands down, the most uncomfortable conversation he’s had with his crush so far, even though all weirdness vanished as soon as he changed the subject. 

 

At first he was confused. What ride and what dinner? Maybe Wonpil has send it to him by mistake. Sungjin’s call came just in time, telling him about his encounter with Wonpil.  He didn’t know how to feel about it. Jealousy was what he felt at first. He’s been the one getting closer and talking with Wonpil for weeks, but Sungjin is the one who got to talk with him face-to-face and spend quality time with him. However, he can’t blame Sungjin. The latter has expressed his uncomfortableness with the situation and asked him to come clean. 

 

Brian closes the app and sighs audibly. It all feels like a good dream that he doesn’t want to wake up from. Wonpil is just too perfect to be true, and it’s not just the looks. He can be fun and sarcastic, or smart and thoughtful, or weird and random, depending on the situation. Talking with him never gets boring, and Brian enjoys it too much. Also, Wonpil never lets their conversation get personal, never ask too direct questions, which is a big relief for Brian. He doesn’t want to lie more than he’s already doing. Using Sungjin’s account is one thing, but talking about Sungjin’s life as if it’s his is a completely different thing, no matter how much he knows about his friend. 

The situation is too good to be true and Brian just wants to enjoy it as it lasts. He knows once the truth gets revealed, he can totally lose Wonpil. He wants to be hopeful but his lies are getting to the unforgivable level. Brian sighs once more and ruffles his hair in frustration. 

 

Hearing the ting of the elevator signals the arrival of someone, so he straightens himself and decides to leave his dilemma for later. Mrs. Kim, the head of the Accounting department, shows up, followed by two other employees. She breaks into a huge smile as soon as she catch sight of him, “Good morning Brian.”  

 

He stands up and greets her back politely, not forgetting to great the other two as well. Mrs. Kim throws him a flirty look before disappearing to her office. To be honest, that woman creeps him so much. He’s noticed how different she treats him from anyone else. She pays extra attention to him, tries to include him in very important tasks - tasks he’s sure interns are not supposed to take part of-, and no matter what or how many mistakes he makes, she lets it all slip with a smile, when her usual reaction to other workers making mistakes is a scowl and a long lecture. 

And if that doesn’t make it obvious enough, then the way she treats Jae, an intern just like him, does. For some unknown reason, Mrs. Kim didn’t like the taller since day one, so she’s practically treating him like her personal servant and even worse. Her commands are endless and no matter how well he does the task, she scolds him regardless. It’s hard to admit, but Brian actually feels bad for the other, so he tries to tone down the teasing during work hours. That’s him trying to be considerate.

 

 

About five minutes past nine, Jae sneaks into the office and tries to reach his desk as quietly as possible, which is in the far back, just next to Brian’s. The scene is comical to watch, really. A slightly bent, six-feet long, black shadow slipping between cubicles, bending more every time he greets someone. Everyone at the office are watching him with bated breaths, some are actually cheering on him. Jae is just a step or two away from his desk when the door of the main office clicks open. He freezes on his spot like a deer caught in headlights. 

 

Mrs. Kim eyes zeroes on him right away and she sighs loudly, “I’m not even surprised, you know. If you were an employee, you would’ve been fired on your first week at work.”

 

The current sight of Jae, head lowered and ears unnaturally red, became so familiar after one week. It’s like their chief has memorized his arrival time and has made a habit of catching him every single day coming late and scolding him in front of everyone.

 

“I think it’s useless talking to you. Just go get me my coffee,” she then goes back to her office, but not before switching to that overly sweet expression and smiling to Brian. 

 

Obviously embarrassed, Jae avoids everyone’s gazes, even the concerned, sympathetic ones, throws his messenger bag on his desk and rushes out of the office in lightning speed to get the woman her order. It’s at times like this that Brian petties him the most. Mrs. Kim is going too hard on him. If only she knew how much potential she’s waisting away. Jae is the accounting star in their class, and no one can deny that, not even Brian. Therefore, Jae’s the one who deserves to be her ‘special apprentice’, not him. 

 

 

 

“Brian, can you make copies of this for the meeting, please?” one of his co-workers asks politely, “I still have work to do and it’s almost time,” she adds apologetically. 

 

“It’s okay, I will do it,” Brian nods in confirmation. 

 

Except for their boss, everyone in the department are so nice towards him and Jae equally. They spent the first week teaching them how to do basic tasks and they always answer Brian and Jae’s questions, no matter how busy they are, so the two students always try do their tasks diligently and help the other employees whenever they need it.

He takes the file from her and walks towards the supplies room, where the printers are. For obvious reasons, he’s only been there once, and only to get some office supplies, which explains his current mental breakdown. He tries pressing all the buttons on the first printer but it doesn’t even turn on. He hits it on the side once, -he actually believes that’s an effective way to fix machines- but nothing happens, so he decides he’s went to easy on it. He hits it harder a few times.

 

“What the hell are you doing!” Jae chooses that exact same moment to walk on him. When did he come back?

 

“Are you blind? That printer is broken!” he points at a paper stuck on the wall, just above the printer, ‘PRINTER OUT OF ORDER’ written in big bold letters on it. 

 

Not to look humiliated, Brian rolls his eyes with an indifferent ‘whatever’ and moves to the second printer. He’s glad Jae doesn’t further for it and just walks to the supplies side.

 

The second printer is refusing to cooperate as well, despite the absence of any warning. Brian tries pressing the start button continuously to no vail. 

 

“You need to press the power button in the back first,” comes Jae’s voice from the other side of the room. Brian refuses to look in his way, or even acknowledge his presence, but he follows his instructions anyways. The printer finally starts humming and actually lightens up when he presses ’Start’. Right when he’s thinking the hard part is over, he’s met with a bigger challenge. Where is he supposed to put the papers he wants to copy and how does he start the copying process? 

Not to look stupid, he pretends to know what he’s doing and starts pressing some buttons randomly, hoping it will work miraculously. 

 

It doesn’t. And Jae takes notice.

 

“Impressive.”

 

Unconsciously, Brian’s head whips to his direction to glare at him or say something smart, except he doesn’t. The words are stuck in his throat at the mere sight of the taller. Until three weeks ago, Brian has only knew casual blond Jae. Nothing has prepared him for Jae’s new style, which he’s still trying to get accustomed to. Key word, ‘trying’.

 

Jae is wearing a black button-down, neatly tucked in equally black pants.  His bangs are partially covering his forehead, the two ed top buttons of his shirt gave a good view of his neck, and his rolled-up sleeves exposed his veiny forearms. The darkness of his clothes and hair, Brian notices, contrasts so well with the fairness of his skin.

But what made him almost gulp was Jae’s posture. The taller is leaning against the wall, arms crossed over his chest, his eyes are amused and smug as they’ve witnessed Brian’s struggle. There’s too much confidence in his expression that it shifts his aura one hundred eighty degrees. Everything combined made him look hot. Brian has never seen Jae that way. He’s not sure he can unsee it now. He’s intimidated by the other, and that’s a first he’d rather be the last. 

 

“You seem to know what you’re doing,” Jae adds, obviously enjoying the situation too much. He’s probably noticed Brian’s frozen state as well.

 

Seeing no point in denying his ignorance with printers, Brian tries to do what he’s best at, “Well, I’ve been busy doing the real work. You know, attending meetings and all.” 

 

In return, the other smirks as if he still have the upper hand, “Silly me! I was concerned for nothing. I forgot that such an easy task won’t faze a professional like yourself,” Jae picks a new stapler from the shelves, then walks to Brian and puts a hand on his shoulder. His eyes switch from the file in Brian’s hands to the printer, then to his eyes. Brian does gulp this time.

 

“That’s for the meeting right? You should hurry. It’s starting in fifteen,” he says sweetly before walking away like nothing happened. The really does have the upper hand now.

 

“Wait wait!” Brian throws his pride, or what’s left of it, away and stops him before leaving. He hates the fake innocence in the taller’s expression.

 

“Ok, I admit it! I don’t know how to ing use this!” he cries in defeat.

 

“So?” 

 

Brian is so going to make him regret making him say it out loud. But later, after he gets the help he needs.

 

“Can you show me how?” 

 

Fortunately, Jae decides he’s had enough fun, and doesn’t ask him to add ‘please’. Brian would’ve killed him if he did.

 

“So first, you put the papers here, face up” he takes the stack of papers from him and puts it in a slot at the top, “You then enters the number of copies you want to make. There’s always the return button to go back to the main menu,” he presses the said button multiple times to get out of the mess Brian has made earlier. He then presses the number of copies, “Finally, you press start, and wait.”

 

Magically, or at least for Brian, the printer starts doing its job, and the process wasn’t even that hard. 

 

“Actually, don’t wait until it finishes all the copying. Instead, start dividing the copies simultaneously into files. You don’t have much time left.”

 

Is Jae actually giving him an advice? He really didn’t expect him to help, let alone give him additional advice. He’s always thought Jae’s the type that won’t even pee on him if he was on fire. If their relationship wasn’t that bad, he’d be thanking him right now. 

 

The gratitude must be showing on his face, as Jae starts explaining himself, “Don’t misunderstand this. I’m helping you for my own sake. You screw up, I’m the one who’ll get scolded. So you make sure you do your job right, Kang,” he ends his reasoning with a threat, before leaving the room.

 

Brian rolls his eyes, but a small grateful smile still makes its way to his lips.

 

‘Maybe he’s not that bad after all.’

 

 

-

 

 

The days are getting colder as November reaches its end. The dorms that usually buzz with life are almost deserted since most students had went back to their homes for the winter break. Wonpil is just among the few that stayed, mainly because he didn’t want to leave Jae alone. But as he struggles down the stairs, carrying a big basket of dirty clothes, he regrets his decision. He pushes the door of the laundry room and innerly cheers for it being way emptier that usual. There are two girls sitting and chatting, obviously waiting for their laundry to be washed, and a guy loading his clothes in one of the washers on the left. Seeing that the rest of the washers on that side are empty, he walks to one of them and starts doing his task. He tries to remember Jae’s instructions and sort the clothes accordingly, filling two washers with them. 

 

After starting the machines, Wonpil contemplates whether to leave and come back later or wait, but then he looks around. The guy by his side is now sitting on one of the chairs, playing with his phone, and Wonpil happens to recognize him.

 

“Brian?” he calls, unintentionally startling the other. 

 

Brian’s eyes widen as soon as they meet his, “Oh, Wonpil-si,” he stutters, cheeks already dusted in pink.

 

Wonpil smiles and sits next to him, “It’s been a while. How have you been?” 

 

“I-I’m good. What about you?”

 

Brian is visibly overwhelmed by the close proximity, his face only getting redder, which only confirms Wonpil’s theory. The guy high probably likes him. Wonpil still feels bad for letting Jae reject his request. He has meant it when he said that Brian looks like a nice person, and won’t mind becoming friends with him. 

 

“I’m fine. Just doing some chores,” he points at the clothes whirling inside of the washers. 

 

The other chuckles, “Let me guess, Jaehyung at doing laundry too?” 

 

“Surprisingly, I’m the one who at that. Jae treasures his sweaters collection too much to ruin it or let anyone do. It just happens that today’s my turn.”

 

“Don’t worry, you’re not alone,” the other comforts him, “My roommate doesn’t trust me with his clothes, so I only wash mine.” 

 

“That’s better than having to go through a long lecture every time you do laundry. Jae has written a list of instructions, and calls at least once to make sure I’m not messing up. Once he came running down barefoot just to check which products I was using,” he points at the bottles by the side of the basket.

 

“God! That’s worse than Jaebum!” 

 

“Okay, to his defense, I once got the wrong fabric softener and he ended up with a skin rash for a week. Poor guy didn’t even figure out it was his allergy until he had to do the laundry. I still can’t forget the terror on his face when he saw the bottle.”

 

“Oh my god you’re worse than me!”

 

Both of them breaks into a fit of laughter. Brian seems more relaxed now, even though he still looks at him with those dreamy eyes. They chat more for the remaining time, talking about their studies and other trivial stuff, and sharing all the pranks they’ve pulled on Jae. 

 

“But seriously, I don’t get how you two hate each other. Like you’re so alike!” Wonpil comments after the other tell him about that one time he’s pulled Jae’s chair in the cafeteria and he ended up falling on his .

 

Brian’s expression morphs into pure disgust, “We are not! Anyone can tell I’m too cool to be compared to Jaehyung!” 

 

Wonpil rolls his eyes, “That’s exactly what Jae said when I told him you two hate each other because you have the same personality.”

 

“We do not!” Brian protests again, looking genuinely offended. 

 

“Yeah yeah, keep telling yourself that,” he gives him the I’m-not-the-least-convinced look. The other seems to give up easily, as if he’s had this conversation many times before. He probably did, considering how well-known his feud with Jae is.

 

When they exist the laundry room, baskets full with clean, folded clothes, the blush is back on Brian’s face, “I’ll see you around?” he says, smiling shyly.

 

“Yeah,” Wonpil replies lamely, “It was nice seeing you again.”

 

“You too,” Brian is already taking slow steps backwards, seemingly hesitant about something. At last, he smiles widely, waves to him and then walks away. 

 

Taking a wild guess, Wonpil thinks the other was about to ask him out or for his phone number, or something the like but got too shy to do it. He got to admit, Brian is good-looking, like really good-looking, and he has enjoyed their two encounters so far. Wonpil is thinking of giving him a chance, maybe try going on a date with him, just maybe, if they happen to meet again, coincidentally. He just needs to deal with one raging Jae. Or maybe he simply shouldn’t tell him. 

 

On his way to their room, Wonpil decides that Jae not knowing about his meeting with Brian won’t kill him.

 

 

-

 

 

Jae tries his best not to slam the stack of folders he’s just got from Mrs. Kim too loudly on his desk. He’s already gained enough attention from the other employees because of the chief’s mistreatment for him. 

“Wow. It’s bigger this time.” 

Talking about unwanted attention, he’s almost forgotten about Brian. ‘Almost’ because the latter’s desk is just a few feet away and would take any opportunity to annoy him.

“Not as big as your ego, Kang.”

His reply makes the other chuckle, “Too bad we’re not staying here long enough for it to reach the size of my ego.” 

Jae shakes his head in disbelief, although there’s a smile tugging on his lips. He looks back to the load on his desk, then sits with a sigh, “You think it’s possible to finish this before my retirement?”

 

Brian snorts, “Such a drama queen. You always say that but finish in less than a day. That’s probably why she keeps giving them to you.” 

 

“What can I do? I’m cursed with such talent,” Jae says in false bravado.

 

“Yeah, the talent of making entries,” Brian deadpans, which gains him a glare from the taller.

 

“Whatever,” he opens the first folder, “I’d love to chat more with you but I have business to attend to, Mr. C minus in Accounting.” This time, Brian doesn’t hold his laughter and neither Jae does. They both go back to work afterwards, occasionally making comments or cracking jokes in the hopes it will make the time pass faster. 

 

There has been a very subtle but big change in their relationship lately. Like they’ve came to a truce but not quite really. A ceasefire is more like it. It started after the day Jae has helped Brian with the printer. Since then, Brian has stopped throwing mean comments at him. He still annoys Jae as much as he used to, and Jae still talks back, but it’s friendlier now, no hard feelings or hatred in their banters. 

Regardless of the reason behind the change in Brian’s behavior, Jae is thankful. His internship is more bearable now, with one less person stressing him out. If anything, he’s starting to enjoy Brian’s company. Surprising, right? He too has never thought such day will come. Maybe it’s temporary and once their internship ends they’ll go back to being arch enemies? Too much can happen in the upcoming month so Jae saves that question for later. He’s got more important work to finish.

 

 

“It’s lunch time, let’s go!” Brian’s call brings him out of his focused state.

 

“Already?” Jae checks the time, and it’s really time for the lunch break. He suddenly feels hungry, “C’mon, let’s go!” he jumps out of his chair and walks with Brian to the company’s cafeteria.

 

Another new habit they’ve built is eating together. At the beginning of their internship, they had to share the same small table just because they didn’t know anyone and they were basically outsiders. Sometimes employees from their department or Mrs. Hong will join them, but most of the time it’s just the two of them. They’d only eat in silence, totally ignoring each other’s existence. But after their unspoken truce, they’ve managed to have full on conversations without someone trying to strangle the other. It’s really not bad, and Jae knows he’s not the only one liking the new turn in their relationship.

 

 

“Someone looks happy,” Jae comments when he notices the other smiling at his phone, “Lemme guess, a new text from your crush?”

 

Brian rolls his eyes, smile never fluttering, “Stop asking if you know the answer.”

 

“I just like teasing you, Bribri.”

 

“Stop calling me that!”, Brian gives him the usual glare whenever he uses a pet name, “Plus, I’m not the only one who spends lunch smiling at their phone.”

 

Jae blushes at that. So the other has noticed. Well, that’s the only time during the day he’s got time to check Sungjin’s texts and talk to him for a little. 

 

“Oh my god! Do you really have a crush?!!”

 

“What’s so surprising about it?” he raises an eyebrow at Brian, waiting for an explanation.

 

“Nothing. I just thought you were too loyal to Sungjin to like anyone else.”

 

And now he’s blushing more, he’s sure of it, “T-that’s a totally different thing,” he innerly curse for stuttering. 

 

“Elaborate please.”

 

The scrutinizing gaze Brian gives him doesn’t leave him any choice but to talk, “Sungjin is kind of a celebrity crush. What I like about him may be just an image he’s created for his fans and the public. It’s not the same as liking someone for who they really are.” 

 

Jae hopes that was convincing enough for the other. It wasn’t exactly a lie anyways. After chatting with Sungjin for a while, he’s realized that he’s got to see a different side of him he’s never seen before, something more personal. A side that made him like Sungjin even more. 

 

“Okay, fair enough,” Brian says after a moment of studying his face. Jae nods and resumes eating, but he almost chokes when he notices Brian’s contemplating eyes on him. 

 

“You know, you never told me why you like Sungjin,” he comments, “I mean, I know he’s super good, but there’s got to be something that made you like him as much as you do.”

 

Jae is taken back by the sudden question. He’s never expected Brian to ask him that anyways. The guy is usually making fun of his devotion for Sungjin, but now he seems genuinely curious. Still, Jae doesn’t know if he should answer truthfully. 

 

“You don’t have to answer if it’s too personal,” Brian says when he takes too much time deciding. 

 

“No, it’s not that,” Jae hesitates for a second, “I think it was mainly a matter of timing. You remember the first video of him singing ‘Congratulations’?” Brian nods. He looks interested and serious, which encourage Jae to keep talking. 

“I-… the lyrics were so accurate to my situation back then. Coming to think about it, every time he drops a song, it either matches with my mood or situation or it helps me overcome a problem. I mean I do love Sungjin’s raspy voice and all, but man the lyrics! They bring all the emotions in his voice and it’s a deadly combination!”

 

There’s an unreadable expression on Brian’s face mixed with surprise. He doesn’t say anything for a while, just keeps staring at Jae as if he’s seeing him for the first time. The taller is feeling embarrassed for saying too much, and to Brian out of all people. 

 

“Did I say something wrong?” he asks when the lack of reaction becomes too much. 

 

Fortunately, Brian snaps out of it and apologizes, “I just didn’t expect that,” is all that he says before the lunch break came to an end and they had to go back to work. 

 

Jae doesn’t miss how the thoughtful look stays on Brians’ expression for the whole afternoon.

 

 

-

 

 

“Finally!” 

 

Brian’s eyes are automatically on Jae as he stands up and stretches his long, long arms, making his joints crack loudly. 

 

“See! You’ve finished in less than a day!” 

 

“Yeah yeah,” Jae dismisses him with a smile, “I better go print it now before she loses her patience.”

 

Brian’s eyes keep following the taller even when he walks to the supply room. He still has work to do and he’s in great need of another coffee, since he’s barely slept the night before. Sungjin hasn’t recorded the new song, yet Brian has an almost finished song prepared for him thanks to a recent wave of inspiration. But for now, he has to endure the headache caused by lack of sleep and the sight of numbers for the whole day. He gets his sixth coffee of the day from the vending machine and walks back to his desk. 

 

He must’ve been too distracted by his headache that he ended up colliding with Jae who emerged from the small room at the same time as he was passing by. Brian watches in horror as a whole cup of hot boiling coffee spills on the papers in Jae’s hand and shirt. The taller yelps in pain and shock. Neither of them gets the chance to say anything before Mrs. Kim joins the scene. Brian can’t believe that woman’s timing.

 

“What the hell is going on here?” she yells at the sight of the rushing, worried employees. Then, she notices the two frozen interns and the spilled coffee. 

 

“Of course it has to do with you, Park Jaehyung! Can’t you do anything right without making a mess?”

 

Brian can’t believe she’s scolding Jae without asking for an explanation first, not that the situation at hand needs a long one. It’s obvious that he’s the one who’s spilled the coffee, considering the empty cup in his hand. And it’s obvious that Jae’s the victim, considering the huge stain on his shirt and the papers. And why’s no one asking if Jae’s alright? That coffee was hot as . 

 

“Imagine if those files were important ones, what would you do, huh? How are you going to fix such a mess?” Mrs. Kim’s scream are only getting louder and louder, while Jae’s apologies are getting smaller and smaller. Brian can’t stand looking at Jae’s expression anymore. 

 

“That’s why people like you will never succeed no matter why. The only thing you do well is causing trouble wherever you go. You’re just a general annoyance.” 

 

Okay, Brian has heard enough, “Mrs. Kim,” he says, really trying not to snap at her for going overboard. The woman’s expression softens as soon as she looks at him. 

 

“Actually, it’s my fault. I was the one who crashed into him,” he clarifies, showing her the cup in his hand. 

 

“It’s okay Brian. You don’t need to cover for him,” she smiles at him before resuming scolding Jae, “You be careful next time. I won’t tolerate anymore incidents. And I want a coffee-less version of that file on my desk in five minutes.”

 

Mrs. Kim’s absurd biased treatment leaves Brian dumbfounded. He’s not even the one to receive the scolding but he’s too angered that his hands are fisted so tightly that the cup is no more than an undefined lump when he tosses it in the bin by his side. His eyes search for Jae, that he swears was standing next to him a second ago, only to find him inside of the supplies room, already printing another copy of the file. 

Deciding that the taller still needs time to cool off as well, Brian goes back to his desk and tries to get some work done for the time being. He waits for Jae to come out of Mrs. Kim’s office after he delivers the file. However, instead of coming back to his desk, Jae walks straight to the bathroom, which is understandable. He still hasn’t cleaned the mess on his shirt and he’s probably too embarrassed to go back to his desk now. Brian follows him there, thinking that Jae won’t mind his presence that much, since he’s the closest to him in the whole company. Also, he wants to talk to him without the whole office hearing it. 

 

When he walks into the bathroom, he finds the taller hunched over the sink, water running on as he cleans his shirt the best he can. Brian doesn’t miss the unnaturally red spot on Jae’s hand, guilt washing over him. When he hears a sniffle, his attention moves to Jae’s reflection in the mirror. He instantly feels worse when he sees the tears rolling down his cheeks. Jae angrily wipes them away, but they’re soon replaced with new ones. 

 

Brian knows he’s not the one who’s directly caused those tears, but he has a hand in it, and he needs to apologize. But first, he wants to allow Jae a moment alone. He is about to walk out and wait for him outside when Jae notices his presence. His expression morphs into indifference as he closes the tape. He tries to wipe his eyes subtly before walking past Brian, totally ignoring him. 

 

“Jaehyung,” Brian stops him by grabbing his forearm. He wants to apologize, he really does, but Jae’s gaze rends him speechless. His eyes are red, and still watery, and most importantly, they’re angry, like he’s never seen them before. And Brian has seen Jae angry an infinite number of times before. 

 

“Let go Kang. And stay away from me,” Jae warns him gruffly, and he follows his order without much insistence. 

 

Watching Jae’s back as he walks away, Brian realizes that Mrs. Kim has pushed Jae to level five. Level five is tears and anger. 

 

Brian comes to hate level five.

 


I feel like this is not getting anywhere. I'm sorry >.<