A Valiant Hero, A Devious Villain

Vision: A Neo Era

It was another loss for Captain J and another win for Doctor Death, otherwise known as the greatest superhero and supervillain rivals of their time. It hadn't been long that the two had began fighting each other. In fact, it hadn't even been over three weeks since Captain J, also known by his real name Jung Jae Hyun in his regular day-to-day life, discovered his superpowers. He didn’t even know if he would have discovered them if it weren’t for that day when he was practicing for track team trials and pushed himself to run as fast as he could before swoosh!, the whole field was in flames and he was on the other side in just seconds.

It wasn’t even days after he found his powers that Doctor Death had begun to attack the city of Seoul and Jae Hyun, being the valiant hero he was, pulled on a hood with a painted J on the back and a mask he found at the dollar store, and took him upon himself to fight this evil villain. It was two weeks now and the public loved him. They had resorted to calling him Captain J, even, and he quite liked the attention. What he didn’t like, though, was the constant stream of losses since then.

Jae hyun wanted to blame his lack of training for the devastating, and quite embarrassing, defeats. But even if his regular college student life (because he insisted on taking classes during the summer) allowed him to train his enhanced agilities, he knew Doctor Death was too powerful. With what seemed to be some sort of manipulation power that was obviously far more trained, Jae Hyun, or Captain J, was left ridiculed. And it would remain that way until, that night, after another appointment with Doctor Death, he found himself walking home only to find another encounter that would change his life once more.

"Another loss, I see," A dark and mysterious voice came from the dark side of the alley, making Jae Hyun freeze under the lamppost. He felt his heart drop as he realized that someone knew his identity, seeing as how he wasn't wearing his black J hood and mask and was heading home in his regular, normal college student clothes.

"Who are you?" He asked as he unconsciously took a step back and his hand reached for the zipper of his bag.

"Now, you don't have to worry about me," The voice spoke from the darkness, "I'm not here to hurt you." Jae Hyun almost sighed in relief, until the voice finished with an, "Not today, at least."

"What do you want?" Jae Hyun asked sternly, feigning braveness.

"Your powers," The voice spoke.

Jae Hyun's hand lowered and he looked down at his hands. "My powers?" He barely whispered to himself. He suddenly looked up at the dark shadow as he clenched his fists. "What do you want my powers for?"

"Haven't you ever wondered where they came from? How they came into your possession?" The voice paused. "I can give you all the answers you need, but before that, I need you to work for me."

Jae Hyun's head tilted as he tried to comprehend what the voice was telling him. Someone actually knew where his powers came from? Someone could give him the answers to all the questions he had been asking since the day he destroyed the school's field? Who exactly was this person?

"I don't work for anyone but the people," Jae Hyun stated sternly, remaining true to his first intentions.

The voice snorted and Jae Hyun didn't understand what could be so funny about what he said. "That's funny, kid. The people. Anyways, when you're done playing 'Captain America', come find me and maybe you won't keep losing to that dentist."

Before Jae Hyun could say anything else the shadow was gone and a card poofed its way into his hand. He was left looking down at the card that the voice left him, scanning the dark moon with white stars printed around and the big, bold, yellow letters that spelled out: New Heroes. And right below, a number, tempting Jae Hyun to call it before he decided to not think about this night ever again, forcing himself to shove the card into his pocket. He had enough things to deal with as it was.

 


 

"Jae Hyun... Jae Hyun... Jae Hyun!" It wasn't until the third call of his name that Jae Hyun snapped out of his thoughts and came to his senses, looking up at his professor who stood at the front of the class with her arms folded expectantly.

"Yes?" He asked baffled, causing the entire class to burst into laughter except for the well-known stuck-up, Kim Do Young, who sat at the front of the classroom giving him another one of his disapproving looks as he shook his head.

"Would you mind sharing with the class what has you so distracted?" The professor asked.

Jae Hyun did a quick side glance, seeing everyone in the room staring at him expectantly. "Uh, no?” He answered unsure of himself.

“No?” The professor asked, raising a questioning eyebrow at the boy.

“No,” He answered with a firm nod. It was bad enough he was failing in his superhero life, he couldn’t also be failing in his academic life either. So, doing what any other regular college student his age would do, he paid attention in class. Or, at least, pretended to.

It wasn’t long before class ended and Jae Hyun was able to catch the professor say something about some group assignment before she walked out. Panic settling in, Jae hyun quickly gathered his things as his eyes began to scan the room for leftover students and sighed in relief when he saw Do Young was just heading for the door at the from of the room. With a sudden urge to reach the guy before he walked out, Jae Hyun triggered his superspeed and found himself right by the raven-haired boy who stopped walking and gave him a suspicious glance before hugging his textbook close.

“Yes?” Do Young asked, and obvious tone of irritation in his voice that would fly right by Jae Hyun.

“Do you know what the professor said?” Jae Hyun asked, suddenly feeling ashamed for not paying attention in class. “I- uh-” He stumbled on his words as he began to scratch the back of his neck. “I zoned out during that last part.”

Do Young quirked an eyebrow, lips parting to say something before closing and then opening once again. “Isn’t it your fault for not paying attention then?”

“I-” Jae Hyun didn’t have an excuse.

Do Young sighed, doe eyes rolling as he took out a sticky note and pen. Jae Hyun watched curiously as the boy scribbled something on to the yellow post-it-note before handing it to him. “We have a group assignment due in a month over the latest material. We got partnered up for some reason. I’m busy now so text me later and we can set up a meeting schedule.”

Jae Hyun nodded as he stared down at the number. He looked up, lips parting to ask another question, but the boy was gone.

 


 

“That superhero, Captain J, he calls himself, and Doctor Death keep messing around and destroying the town,” Tae Yong sighed as he looked out the window, arms crossed and a frown etched on his face.

“The guy has good intentions,” Johnny responded from his desk where he typed continuously, going through the stack of papers he had placed next to him. “Maybe it’s time we start reaching out?”

Tae Yong shook his head, walking away from the window and sitting across from Johnny. “We need to wait a bit more. I need to know what their intentions are with their powers. Also, we need to find more of them first.”

“I really thought Captain J would encourage the rest to come out,” Johnny voiced his thoughts as he remained with his focus on his laptop.

Tae Yong nodded in agreement before he stood up and walked over to the window once again, not able to stand the empty silence with only Johnny’s typing in the background. He looked down to the street, the tiny ant-sized people from fifty stories up. He listened to the sound of sirens in the distance, eyes closing as he began to go into focus. But that was stopped the moment Johnny let out a small, barely audible gasp and his eyes snapped wide open and he turned to see what left the guy sounding so surprised.

“What is it?” Tae Yong asked as he leaned over Johnny’s desk, looking at his laptop. His eyes narrowed as he watched the scene in front of him unfold. A small gasp escaped his lips as he realized what was happening on screen and he quickly backed away. A series of thoughts ran through his head, ultimately leaving him with two questions: “There was someone else there that day? Where is he?”

--

A/N: Short intro. Thanks for reading. J.

UwU

<3 Nae