Chapter Nine

Wandering Heart

Yixing kissed me! That has been on Baekhyun’s mind all the time he was in Viva Polo. It’s early in the morning yet he is there because he had a hard time sleeping last night because he keeps on remembering the kiss that he shared with Yixing. He needs to think clearly. He needs coffee. But even if he drinks a gallon of coffee, he still cannot fathom what happened between him and Yixing.

He had walked out of Yixing’s house last night right after he had kissed him. He didn’t wait for an explanation. Yixing didn’t say anything either. Is he supposed to stay and wait for his explanation for him to understand what happened? Did Yixing like him? But what about his girlfriend? Or was he just flirting with him? His phone rang. He answered it.

“Hello.” He said.

“Hello? Is this Byun Baekhyun?”

“Yes. Who’s on the line?”

“This is Victoria Song. I’m calling up on behalf of UNICEF Korea. I want to know if you’re still willing to work for our organization.”

“Ah… yes, of course.”

“Great. Then can you be here tomorrow at ten in the morning? We would be conducting interviews for the new volunteers.”

“Okay. I’ll be there.”

The woman gave out other details such as the place and the time he should be at their office tomorrow. After he ended the call, he looked outside the café. Is he sure about his decision? He seems to doubt his choice. Whatever, he thinks. It’s just an initial interview anyway. If he’s still unsure, he can back out anytime. He doesn’t want to go through something that he is unsure of.

“Yixing, is that you?” Chanyeol said.

Yixing? Baekhyun looked for Chanyeol when he heard his voice. But what caught his attention is the man who just entered Viva Polo. A handsome guy wearing a white shirt, an olive green jacket, jeans and sneakers.

“Yeah.” Yixing answered Chanyeol. “Why?”

It’s really him!

“What do you mean ‘why’? You look different, man.” Chanyeol said.

“I decided to change my image. I’m sick of seeing the same thing in the mirror every day.”

“I almost didn’t know you. But it suits you. Your facial features became more enhanced.”

“Thanks.”

“Do you have an inspiration for your uh… transformation?”

“None. I just want to change the way I look. Can I have one mocha frappe?”

After he ordered, Yixing looked around the café for somewhere to sit on. Then their gazes met. Baekhyun’s heart started beating wildly again like last night. Yixing had become more handsome now than he could ever see him. He’s not wearing his glasses. His hair is shorter and he is dressed so well. If he doesn’t know the elder, he might mistake him for a model.

Yixing approached him. “Mind if I join you?” he asked.

Baekhyun just shook his head. Yixing sat on the chair across from him. “You… cut your hair.” He dumbly said.

“I’ve been neglecting my hair for far too long now. I thought of cutting it. For a change.” Yixing touched his hair. “You don’t like it?”

“Huh? Why are you asking my opinion?”

“You can ignore my question if you don’t want to answer.”

Baekhyun didn’t say anything. He might say something that he shouldn’t be saying. But he wants to ask so many things to Yixing. He wants to know so many things. But how and where should he start? “It suits you. But I’ll miss your long hair and your glasses.” He just said.

“I could still wear my glasses. As for my hair, it will still grow longer.”

Baekhyun likes how smooth the things are going while talking to Yixing. He just wants to stay like this. In order to do that, he will just forget how he feels for now.

“Am I handsome enough for you?”

“What?”

“My new look. Do you like it? Do I make the cut with the guys that you like?”

“I don’t… understand.”

“I wanted to ask you out. But I know that as long as I won’t change my image, you won’t date me. I did this just now because… well, it’s the only time that we became close.”

Baekhyun is supposed to be rejoicing with what he just heard. Yixing just said that he wants to date him. But he can’t for some reason. “What are you saying, Yixing? That I won’t notice you when you are wearing your usual clothes and your usual look? That I’m just looking at the physical appearance of the guys that I date?”

“That’s what I’m seeing.”

“I’m not that dense, Yixing.” Baekhyun can’t help but pity himself. He was hurt by the man that he loves. Again. But he doesn’t let Yixing see it. He still looked at him properly. “Oh, well, I guess I was that dense. But that was before… I met you. That’s why you shouldn’t bothered changing your appearance, Yixing. I like you even before. Your tousled hair, your glasses, your crumpled shirt and pants. All of them, I learned to accept and like when I got to know you better.”

“Baekhyun…”

“Don’t worry, I’m not mad that you see me as a dense person. I guess it’s my fault. I became too idealistic with the men who chose to love me that’s why I always fail at finding a boyfriend. They may be handsome, but they have no brains. What’s worse, they may be handsome but they don’t like me. Maybe they saw what you saw in me. They don’t have time for a shallow person like me.” Baekhyun tried to smile but his heart is filled with sadness. “It’s too bad that I realized it just now. Maybe men will love me if I found my flaws before.”

It’s such a shame that it’s you who will find my flaws as well.

“Baekhyun, I’m so sorry.”

“Yeah, I know. Don’t think about it. I already accepted it.” Baekhyun wants to applaud himself for being so brave. He wishes that he can stay that way until he reaches his house. “Yixing, don’t hurt your girlfriend, okay? It to be hurt by someone you love. Believe me, I know the feeling.”

“I changed because of you.”

“I don’t want you to change. I told you, I like you the way you are.” Baekhyun shook his head gently. “Anyway, we shouldn’t be having this conversation. You’re still handsome no matter how you dress or how short your hair is. Maybe you still look handsome even if you’re bald. Ah, I have to go now.”

When he stood, Yixing stood up as well and held his arm.

Baekhyun immediately retracted his arm. He feels that he will give in anytime soon.

“Let’s talk, Baekhyun.”

“Maybe next time. I still have to prepare my requirements for UNICEF.”

“UNICEF?”

“Yeah.”

“You’re leaving the country?”

“If that’s the assignment that they will give me.” Tell me not to leave and I won’t leave, Yixing. I won’t leave, I promise. Just… ask me to stay.

But a minute has passed yet Yixing is still looking at him, not saying anything. Confusion was visible in his eyes.

“I don’t get you.”Yixing combed his hair using his fingers. “You’re confusing me.”

“If that’s the case, then I should take my leave.”

Baekhyun bit his lower lip then he left Yixing. He hurriedly went to his house. But then he decided that he cannot stay there as well so he grabbed his keys and jacket. He went outside and saw his neighbor walking her dog.

“Oh, someone was looking for you, oppa.”

“Who was it, Seulgi?”

“It was Yixing, I almost didn’t recognize him. He totally changed the way he looks!”

“We saw each other at Viva Polo already.” With the mention of Yixing’s name, his heart started beating wildly again.

“Oh, but he was looking for you, though. He looks like he has something important to say. And he’s always looking for you too.”

“Always?” Baekhyun asked, confused.

“Whenever he comes to your house and he finds it empty, he’s always asking for you.”

Baekhyun ignored the little tug in his heart. Maybe next time. He went to his car and he noticed the kids from last night peeping behind a tree. Naeun and Seungjae were at Viva Polo earlier. The triplets, Daehan, Mingguk, and Manse are also there. When he approached the kids, he was surprised when the two hugged his legs.

“Uncle Baekhyun, don’t go away!”

“We’re sorry!”

“We won’t do it again, we promise!”

“Kids, what are you doing?” He leaned on his car when he almost fell down because of the force of their hugs.

“We won’t ask for candies again if you don’t have some.”

“We also won’t accept candies from Uncle Sehun and Uncle Kyungsoo to make you be close to Uncle Yixing.”

“What?” He gently peeled Naeun away from his legs. “Naeun, what does Seungjae and the triplets mean?”

“Uncle Sehun and Uncle Kyungsoo talked to us last night.” The girl said. “They said we should make you go to Uncle Yixing’s house in exchange for candies.”

“What? You mean it isn’t true that you didn’t get any candies last night?”

“Yes…”

“Uncle Baekhyun, we promise we won’t do it again.” Seungjae said. “Just don’t leave.”

“I forgive you.” Baekhyun sighed. “But this has nothing to do with you, kids. If I’m leaving, it’s my own decision. It isn’t anyone’s fault. Just don’t let the older people trick you like that again.”

“You’re still leaving…”

“I have to.” He looked at the triplets who are checking his car out. “Go to your parents, kids. They must be looking for you.”

The children ran away. He smiled. It would have been great to have children like you, kids. He went back to his car before sadness can totally consume his heart. He will go to his parents. It’s been a while since he last visited them, anyways. And maybe, he will also say goodbye for a new path that he is taking.

“I will get back to you later, Sehun and Kyungsoo. You two owe me an explanation.” He weakly said to no one and started to accelerate his car.

Why did those two decided to interfere? He already accepted that he will be single for life yet his two friends gave him a chance to be with Yixing. His love for the elder guy increased tenfold because of what happened last night. Which was suddenly gone. But it was fine. It would be a good memory for him. Especially that kiss. He would never forget that kiss. Because of that kiss, he felt how to love and how to be loved again.

He noticed from the rearview mirror of his car a guy who is a few meters way from his car. Is he chasing him? But why?  It doesn’t make sense if the guy is really chasing his car. “Maybe he’s just out for a run around the neighborhood or something.” He said to himself and continued driving.

But he doesn’t know why he can’t take his eyes away from the running guy. And while he continuously looks at the guy through his rearview mirror, his heart is also beating wildly. He slowed down his car a bit so that the guy can chase him and he can assure that the guy isn’t after him. But as he can clearly see the figure, his heart seems to fall out of his chest. Because if he’s right, it is Yixing who is chasing after him.

Yixing smacked the back of his car when he finally reaches him.

“What the—” Baekhyun slowed his car a bit more but he didn’t stop. Yixing was now running beside his car. His cheeks are red from the effort of running a long distance. He rolled down his window. “What are you doing?”

“Stop the car!”

“Why?”

“Just stop the car, damn it!”

“I don’t want to!” Because he is annoyed, he sped up a little. Still, Yixing  kept running after him. He slowed down his car again so that Yixing can catch up.

“Why did you speed up your car?” Yixing asked angrily. “And damn it! Why wouldn’t you stop driving?”

“I need to go somewhere else. If you want to say something, say it. I’m in a hurry.” Of course, that was a lie. But that’s the only way he can think of so that Yixing won’t see through the façade that he is hurting. Why did this guy chased him?

“I can’t stop. I might be late to where I am going.”

“Fine!” Yixing shouted while he is still running. “I don’t want you to go, Baekhyun. I don’t want you to leave, Please don’t go away.”

“What?”

“I love you, okay?” Yixing said in a louder voice. “I love you! Now, could you please just stop the damn car for a minute?”

Because of shock, he stepped on the gas instead of the brakes. His car sped up and left Yixing behind. Good thing he realized what he did just now. He firmly stepped on the brakes and immediately went out of the car. When Yixing saw him get off the car, he stopped running a few meters away from him.

“Come here.” Yixing demanded. His body is covered with sweat.

Baekhyun just remained standing beside his car. “Did I hear everything right or are you just mocking me again?”

“That was all true. I won’t exert the effort of chasing you… if that isn’t true.” Yixing took a deep breath. Then he turned to him and looked deep into his eyes. “You’re the most amazing man I’ve ever met. You can be the densest person in the world, but even that would never stop me from loving you. I love you, Byun Baekhyun.”

“Really?”

 


Merry Christmas, everyone!!! 🎄⛄ We're down to the second to the last chapter!!! And I'm still undecided if I will post an epilogue with the other characters (Sehun and Jongin) and (Kyungsoo and Chanyeol). So anyway, Baekhyun and Yixing were spotted shopping in Tiffany & Co. and they were shopping for their wedding rings  something. We all know Baekhyun doesn't like to go out yet he did just to spend time with Yixing 😭😭😭 And when Yixing came back to China yesterday, he was seen wearing Baekhyun's jacket 😭😭😭 2019 is almost ending yet BaekXing kept us alive.