Chapter Four

Wandering Heart

“I didn’t know you could cook.” Yixing said as he put his chopsticks down. “It doesn’t look like you do.”

“Why? How do I look?” Baekhyun asked.

“You look like an elephant.”

“What?”

“Elegant.” Yixing excused. “I said, you look elegant.”

“I heard you say ‘elephant’.”

Yixing just shrugged.

“My mom was a certified chef in Paris before she married my father. I have my knowledge of cooking because of her.” Baekhyun said. He saw Yixing’s eyes twinkled despite the glasses that the older is wearing that’s why he just let the man off the hook with his jibe earlier. Because he liked the way Yixing’s eyes glinted with suppressed mischief.

“So you like to cook, huh.”

“Not really, if I want to cook, then I will cook. Or, if I’m having a problem, cooking is my way to think of solutions to my problems. It worked every time. Many are happy as well because I give the food that I cook to charity institutions.”

“Is it really enough for the people in an institution?”

“If I feel like it, I cook for a bunch people. Like how the old ladies in the market cook food for their customers. I’m not contented if I cook just one dish, I have to cook as many dishes as possible. Minimum of three or four dishes. ”

“But these are few.” Yixing pointed at the two dishes on his table.

“Why? Can you finish all of that?”

“You just told me that you like to cook like what old ladies do on their food stand in the market. I was just asking.”

Baekhyun drank water first before answering Yixing. “I wanted to cook for you. For no other reason. That’s why it’s just two dishes. It’s because I don’t have any problems to think of.”

Yixing didn’t say anything else.

They just continued to eat quietly.

Baekhyun can’t help but think. He can’t believe that he and Yixing can be peaceful and even eat together on a table without bickering every second. The main reason why he keeps on coming back to the older man’s house is to seduce him. But with how the things are going, it seems like it’s just his excuse to go to his house. Yixing blatantly rejected him, right? It means that his plans on seducing him are not effective.

Ah, stop overthinking. Baekhyun scolded himself. Why doesn’t he just let things be? If they are getting along together, fine. If not, it’s fine as well. No big deal. It’s tiring to overthink sometimes.

“All I have in my cupboard is canned goods and instant noodles. How did you get the ingredients for these?”

“My butler, Yongho ahjussi brought all the ingredients that I need to cook. Actually, these were still few because I gave some of the food that I cooked to him. He likes the food that I cook.” Baekhyun said proudly.

“There’s still someone whom you forced to eat your cooking.”

Baekhyun wasn’t able to grab Yixing’s plate away because the latter managed to pull it first. Then he looked at him, as if saying he wouldn’t lose to him for the third time. Baekhyun just let him be. Because he was getting affected by Yixing’s gaze.

Darn those eyes! Yixing was supposed to be a nerd. But it turns out that he is getting attracted to that nerd. Baekhyun shook his head. Yixing is supposed to be the one who should be attracted to him—not the other way around.

“Well, you’re also one of the people whom I was able to force to eat the food that I cooked.”

“Maybe.”

“What ‘maybe’? Just admit that you like my food. You almost finished it.”

Baekhyun doesn’t know if he’s imagining things but he saw the corner of Yixing’s lips go up. Did he smile? It’s difficult to confirm it. But it’s still okay if he’s just imagining things. He can still dream, at least.

“Can I ask you a question, Yixing?”

“Depends on the question.”

“About your work. That question is harmless.”

“Well, it’s just you who is harmful.”

“Why does someone like you exists on this planet?” Baekhyun asked, annoyed. “Maybe the reason why we’re not getting along together is because you’re displeasing, stuck-up, snob, and ill-tempered.”

“And you’re a nice guy?”

“I admit that sometimes I’m grumpy. But I’m not like you who seem to be looking for a fight every time.”

“If I act that way towards you, it’s your fault because you always annoy the hell out of me.”

“See? That’s why I’m talking about. You’re so ill-tempered.”

“I was just explaining.”

“You’re being grouchy.”

“Whatever. Just think whatever you want to think.” Yixing continued eating his food.

Baekhyun did the same. But he is still annoyed. Yixing can irritate the hell out of him with the blink of an eye.

“Oh, you’re getting annoyed again.” Yixing said. “Just relax, okay?”

And Yixing could calm his heart with just his words. What is his problem? “It’s because you’re always teasing me.” Baekhyun blamed.

“Okay.”

That was it. No one said sorry but he’s sure that they have already forgiven each other.

“I make music.”

“Huh?”

“I am a music producer.” Yixing looked up at him from his food. “You wanted to know my work, right? I work for an entertainment company called SM Entertainment. I make music for their artists. I think that’s good enough answer.”

Baekhyun smiled. Even if Yixing’s trying to be nice, he still shows how grumpy he is. But in all fairness, he is still a nice man. “Yixing?”

“Yeah?”

“Do you have cousins around your age who are single and available?”

“What are you going to do with them?”

“Just answer me first. Do you have or not?”

“I have.”

“Good. Set me up for a date with them.”

“I don’t.”

“Huh?”

“I don’t have any cousins who are single and available.”

“But you just said—”

“It seems like you know more than me.”

Yixing was back to being his grumpy self. Baekhyun just frowned. He thought they will get along well because Yixing revealed some private information about him. Well, it’s not.

After a while, Yixing dialed someone on his phone. “Jackson, do you have a date tonight? Maybe you want to go on a date tonight? If it’s okay with you. Nah, he’s loud and he’s ugly. Okay.”

“Loud and ugly?” Baekhyun tightened his hold on his chopsticks. He’s ready to plunge it to Yixing’s face.

“Jackson said he’d be happy to take you out tonight.”

“Huh?”

Yixing shook his head. “Don’t say ‘huh’ over and over again. You really look stupid if you keep on saying that.”

“I… I have a date tonight?”

“Yes. Isn’t that what you asked for earlier? To introduce you to my cousin who is a playboy and insignificant? There, you will meet Jackson later.”

Baekhyun loosened his hold on his chopsticks. Yes, he will have a date exactly like how he asked for earlier. But why does it feel like he’s regretting it? Does he expect to date anyone beside Yixing’s cousins?  Baekhyun watched the guy in front of him. Yixing wasn’t his type. But he was… kind of expecting Yixing would recommend himself.

Baekhyun, you’re going crazy.

“Ah… thanks.”

“Hmm.” Yixing just nodded and continued eating his food. “Good luck on your date later. Don’t scare my cousin. He’s a bit of a coward.”

“What do you think I am? A monster?”

“Yes.”

Baekhyun kicked Yixing under the table.

 


Baekhyun still doesn’t have an idea why he is standing outside the door of Yixing’s house. He just came back after his date with Yixing’s cousin and he’s supposed to rest at his home because it’s already close to midnight. But here he is, disturbing the older guy. He knocked on the front door. When the door opened and revealed Yixing’s eternally disheveled look, Baekhyun felt contented for the first time that night.

“Yes?” Yixing asked.

“Ask me about my date.”

“How was your date?”

He wasn’t expecting that Yixing will indulge him on his whim. He just laughed. “It was great. Jackson was such a gentleman. We went to a fancy restaurant and then we went clubbing the rest of the night. It was really fun having him. Thanks to you.”

“Uh-huh.”

That’s what you’ll say? You can’t even call that a reaction! Baekhyun said on his mind. “He asked me out again tomorrow night.”

“Okay.”

Baekhyun just frowned. What was wrong with Yixing? He’s not even interested on what he is saying. Better yet, what was wrong with him? Why does he want to know Yixing’s reaction about his date tonight? Why will he care about what’s happening in his life?

“Are you done?” Yixing asked after a while. “If you won’t say anything else, just go home and rest. And I will go back to work. Good night.” Before Yixing can close his door, Baekhyun stopped him. Yixing’s eyebrows scrunched up in question. “Is there anything else that you would like to say?”

“How about you? You’re not going to say anything else besides ‘uh-huh’ and ‘okay’?”

“Baekhyun, that was your date. Why the hell would I care about it?”

He has a point. But he can’t really accept Yixing’s reaction. He’s annoyed with himself too. Because he cared about Yixing’s thoughts on his date. He just sighed. “You’re right. Why would you care about my date? I’m sorry for disturbing you. Good night.”

“Baekhyun?”

“I know. Why would I need to hear your opinion? The truth is, I still don’t know, Yixing. I just realized that I’m here knocking at your door instead of going straight home. Ah, whatever. Okay, let’s just let this slide and pretend this never happened. Bye.” Baekhyun’s about to head home when he heard Yixing speak.

“You’re safe.  I guess that’s… a good thing.”

Baekhyun looked at Yixing. “Maybe. Thanks.” Argh!

“Take care on your date tomorrow.”

“I will.” His footsteps are still heavy when he reached his home. His butler immediately welcomed him.

“Good evening, Mr. Byun.”

“I think I will have a boyfriend soon, Yongho ahjussi.” Baekhyun said sadly.

“That’s great news. But why does it feel that you’re grieving instead of being happy?”

“I don’t know too.”

He’s walking towards his couch when he looked at the direction of Yixing’s house. That guy…

“Maybe you’re feeling that way because your heart is going to the opposite direction.” The kind old man said.

Baekhyun looked at the old man and smiled. “You’re saying nonsense.”

The old man smiled back. “I thought you want an explanation to what you are feeling.”

“Just don’t tease me about Yixing again.”

“I didn’t say anything about Yixing.” The old man smiled at him with mirth on his eyes.

“Ah, whatever.” He almost laughed at his own stupidity. How can he put himself on the hot seat?  He just sighed and went straight to his room. Even his clueless butler was able to notice something about him and Yixing.

His phone suddenly ringed. When he saw that Jackson is calling, he didn’t answer the call. Instead, he just went inside his bathroom and peeled his clothes and soaked himself on his favorite lavender-scented bubble bath.

 


Hello everyone! I just want to apologoze for not updating for more than a month. Work has been really busy these past few weeks and I barely have time to write. Oh, have everyone watched Minseok's Xiuweet Time earlier? I was really surprised when the members came and and Yixing too! The boys had him on a live phone call earlier. And as expected, there were BaekXing moments earlier:

D5vHyVKUwAAxg2H?format=jpg&name=small

Image

Image

Image

They're really making their long-distance relationship work perfectly, huh 😂😂😂

Also, can you please vote for Chanyeol in Show Champion here on this link: http://mbcplus.idolchamp.com/app_proxy.html?type=vote&id=vote_1177_489 Let's give him his first win because even though his song did well in International and Chinese music platforms, I feel really bad with how his song went in Korean charts damn those useless korean fans. And as international fans, this is the least we can do to pay off Chanyeol's hard work which is the song that he made while thinking of us, EXOLs. Aaaand sorry for the shameless plug as well lol.