Chapter Eight

Wandering Heart

“Trick or treat!”

Baekhyun laughed when he saw the children who ran towards him. They were wearing different costumes ranging from cartoon characters to scary costumes. It’s Halloween so they are going around the neighborhood to collect some candies.

“Oh no, I just came home from work and I don’t have any candies with me. Is it okay if I give you money instead?”

“Your money is good.” Seungjae said. He is five years old and his father is a former idol turned businessman. “But we need candies.”

“Candies.” Naeun said. “Not money. Today is Halloween, not Chuseok.”

“But I don’t really have candies. I forgot that it’s Halloween today.”

The two children rolled their eyes and their comrades made noises that resembled disappointment on their painted faces.

“It’s always like that. Always out of candies.” Six year old Manse said. “We should just give the grown-ups candies instead.”

“Yeah.” Manse’s brother Daehan said. “I feel bad for them. They’re always running out of candies.”

“Let’s go.” Mingguk said. His brothers, together with Seungjae and Naeun started to walk away.

“Kids, don’t worry. I know… I know someone who has lots of candies.” Baekhyun was kicked by his conscience when he saw that the kids’ bags have just few candies in it.

“Where?”

Baekhyun gazed at Yixing’s house. “There. Uncle Yixing has lots of candies and chocolates. Let’s go?”

The five children screamed out of joy. They were racing towards Yixing’s house. The elder’s confused face welcomed them when he opened his door.

“H-hi.” Baekhyun greeted. His heart started to beat wildly when he saw him. “I’m sorry for disturbing you. But… do you have candies? I don’t have anything to give to these children and they’re a bit disappointed.”

Yixing looked at the little children and looked at him. “I don’t have—”

Baekhyun quickly covered Yixing’s mouth with his hand before looking at the children who were just staring at them. “Uncle Yixing said he has candies. Inside his house.”

The children ducked and avoided Yixing’s arms that are blocking the doorway and immediately entered the house.

Baekhyun smiled wryly at Yixing. “I saw ingredients in your kitchen for some quick chocolate candies.” He quickly explained. “That’s the only thing I can think of so that the kids won’t be disappointed. It seems like no one’s giving them candies for a while now.”

Yixing just stared at him so he started to be ashamed. Good thing the elder already entered his house before he can even die of shame. Yixing opened the door wider. “This better work.” He said while going to the kitchen where the children are waiting. “If not, I will feed those kids to a troll.”

“Don’t worry, I got this.” Baekhyun said.

The children are standing around the kitchen table and waiting for something. Baekhyun wondered how the children thought of going to the kitchen. He didn’t think any further and just prepared everything that he will need in making the chocolates.

“I will make some chocolate cookies and candies.” Baekhyun announced to the kids. “This will just take a short time but if you want to help, you can do so.”

“Uncle Yixing, will you help too?”

Baekhyun looked at where Naeun is looking. Yixing is standing near the kitchen door and just observing them. Then he walked near them. He took the apron that was hanged near the refrigerator and placed it on him. Since Yixing is behind him, it looks like he was hugging him when he put on the apron. He was surprised with what Yixing just did but he managed to keep his cool.

Baekhyun cleared his throat and distanced himself a bit. Then he remained on Yixing’s side. He took all the ingredients that he will use as well as the bowls. The stainless bowl made a noise when he dropped it because his heart is still beating wildly with what happened earlier. He picked it up but another hand caught it, touching his hand at the same time. When he looked, Yixing’s handsome face welcomed him. Because he was surprised, he immediately stood up which resulted in him bumping his head under the table.

“Aw!” Baekhyun complained.

“Hey, careful.” Yixing hugged him and caressed his head. “Don’t be scared of them, they’re just wearing costumes.”

“Okay…” Their faces are so close Baekhyun can almost make out every detail of Yixing’s face. “I-it doesn’t hurt anymore. Thanks…”

“Hmm.”

Damn it! Why is Yixing still not avoiding him? And if he’s not mistaken, Yixing’s face is slowly closing in on him. His heart went wilder. He wasn’t able to move because it feels so good to be in Yixing’s arms. And their place under the table had given them a bit of privacy from the prying eyes of the children. Maybe that’s the reason why Yixing braved to stay like that for a while.

My goodness! I love you so much! Why do you have to be with another person? If stealing someone else’s boyfriend is not bad, I will steal you away from your girlfriend. Why do I have to be so nice? I cannot steal you away from that woman.

Baekhyun was sad because he’s the only one who can hear his thoughts. What if he tells Yixing everything? He decided not to. It will be just chaos if he decided to confess his feelings to Yixing. Maybe he should just be contented with what is given to him right now.

“Does it still hurt?” Yixing asked.

“Not anymore. I already told that to you, didn’t I?”

“I just want to make sure.” Yixing brushed his hair away from his forehead. “Hmm.”

Baekhyun just let himself melt under Yixing’s gaze. He will cherish every little moment like this to be with the man that he loves the most. But there are some nuisances. The children peeked under the table and disturbed his moment with Yixing.

“Uncle Baekhyun, Uncle Yixing, when are we making the chocolates?”

“My cavities are already hungry!”

The magic was gone. Baekhyun immediately crawled out the table before the kids think of something. He started to make the chocolates for the children before they grew more impatient. And all the while, he was fully aware of the presence of the man beside him.

“Okay, our chocolate mixture is complete. All we have to do now is to put it in these little cups. After ten minutes, you can have your chocolates.”

Yixing dipped his finger inside the chocolate bowl. “Hmm, it’s delicious. You’re really good, Baekhyun.”

“Not really. Is it delicious?” Baekhyun is happy because he got another compliment from Yixing.

“Me too!” Shouted one of the children. He dipped his little finger inside the bowl of chocolate. “It’s so yummy!”

As if on cue, the other children did the same and tasted the chocolate. Because of that, he cannot lift the bowl.

“How about we just stop here and you drink all of this chocolate mix?”

 “Kids, let Uncle Baekhyun do his job, okay? He will feed you to monsters if you don’t let him finish his job.”

“Uncle Yixing is right. I will also give your bones to wolves if you don’t let me finish making your treats.”

The children finally let go of the chocolate bowl.

“Let me.” Yixing volunteered. He took the bowl from him and he transferred it to small cups. “You have to pay for the ingredients that you used, as well as for using my kitchen.”

“What? You won’t treat these children?”

“I will treat them, but not you.”

“I will give you my chocolates.”

Yixing thought for a while. “Okay.”

“You’re saying that you want a payment, just say that you want to taste the food that I make.”

“Why, is your food delicious?”

“Of course. That’s why you’re always eating and finishing my food, right?”

“You’re just imagining things.”

Baekhyun dipped his own finger and pasted the chocolate mixture on Yixing’s dimple. The children laughed. He was about to dodge Yixing when he held his arm. Then he dipped his finger on the bowl and smudged the chocolate on the side of his lip. “Ah! You’re so mean, Yixing!” He threw the leftover flour on him.

“Me too!” The children shouted.

“Let us join!”

Yixing joined in the mess. Instead of attacking the children with flour, he chose to target only him. They chased each other inside the kitchen and threw flour at each other.

“Wait.” Yixing halted. He removed his eyeglasses and blew at the flour that’s stuck in there and wore it again. Then he looked at him. “You’re ugly. Come here.”

“Why?”

“I will make you look good.” There was a smile on Yixing’s lips. That’s why he wasn’t able to protest when he pulled him against his chest. “The dirt on your face doesn’t suit you.” Yixing removed his glasses again and put his lips at the side of his own lips. Baekhyun could feel his hot tongue gently brushing the chocolate that Yixing had put in there a while ago. “Hmm.” Yixing pulled away but he is still on his arms. “Yummy.”

Baekhyun’s defenses instantly melted. Damn, he really loves Yixing. And nothing can change that.

Manse stood on the chair beside them and wiped some chocolate on Yixing’s lips. “Oh, your turn, Uncle Baekhyun.” Manse told him.

“Huh?”

“Uncle Yixing brushed away the chocolate off your cheeks. Now it’s your turn to wipe the chocolate off his lips.”

“He has a point.” Yixing grinned.

Baekhyun looked at Yixing. He doesn’t have an idea why is he looking at him with such expecting eyes. He cannot explain the feeling. He liked it though, but… “Yixing, don’t joke like that. There are children–”

“We’re going!” the children said. “Bye!”

The children ran outside without even glancing at the chocolates that they patiently waited to be made. He wants to question their actions. But Yixing is still holding him so he cannot move from his spot.

“Okay, there are no more kids. What are you going to do now?” Yixing asked him.

Baekhyun removed the apron and dabbed it on Yixing’s lips. “It’s all clean.” He took a step back and continued making the chocolates. He placed it on a tray and put it inside the refrigerator.

“Baekhyun?” Yixing called him.

“It looks like I made too much. Don’t worry, there are many children here. I can take the other chocolates and give it to my neighbors. You can give the remaining chocolates.”

“Okay.” Yixing took the utensils from him. “I’ll take care of these. Go home so that you can rest.”

“No, I’m fine.”

“Baekhyun.”

“I’m really fine.” Baekhyun raised his right hand. “I swear. I made this mess so it’s only right that I clean these too.”

“Okay, your call.” Yixing placed the utensils back on his hand. “Here. Take care of these as well.”

“You won’t help me?”

“You can do it. Wait, taste your chocolates so that you will know if it’s okay to give them out.”

“Okay.” He would do everything for the man in front of him. Darn the world, but he was still so much in love with the man!

“Baekhyun.”

“Huh?” He tasted the sweet flavor of chocolate that Yixing wiped on his lips.

“Well? How was it?”

“You’re really crazy, Yixing.” He was about to place the utensils on the table to wipe his lips when Yixing stopped him.

“I’ll do it.” Yixing said.

“Do what?”

“Remove the chocolate mixture off your lips.”

“Huh?”

For the second time that night, Yixing smiled sweetly. His heart seemed to stop beating for a moment.

“Cute.” Yixing said. Then he placed his lips on his parted ones.

Yixing kissed him!

 


Happy Halloween, everyone! And hooray for EXO's comeback this coming November!