Chapter Six

Wandering Heart

Baekhyun was able to glimpse at all the shows on the television but he doesn’t stop changing channels. He just finished cleaning Yixing’s house. That’s why he is trying to watch television right now.

“If you want to destroy my television, you can just grab a chair and smash it.” Yixing sat beside him on the couch and watched television. “You hate the world today, Baekhyun?”

Baekhyun stilled for a while because of Yixing’s sudden appearance. He was able to quickly collect himself. Of course it’s Yixing’s house so he can appear whenever and wherever he likes. He was still the trespasser. Baekhyun pressed the buttons of the poor remote control with a little bit of force. “I’m just tired. I was just resting for a while.”

“I see.”

“Where is your girlfriend?”

“Went home already.”

Baekhyun just bit his lips. Then what the kids have said is true, Yixing went home with his girlfriend. Because of so much frustration that he is feeling, Baekhyun wasn’t able to stay still at his house. He had to do something. And he knew he could only set his mind at peace again after he had gone to Yixing’s house and had done something, like cleaning and cooking. He managed to calm himself a bit that’s why he managed to sit on his couch and slowly destroy—or rather watch on Yixing’s television.

Yixing has a girlfriend already. That’s what his mind has been repeating for the past few minutes. At the corner of his eyes, he can see Yixing put earphones on his phone and he just went on with changing channels of Yixing’s television.

“If you’re tired, then why do you keep on cleaning my house? What do you even gain in doing it?” Yixing asked.

“Nothing. I just want to clean.” Baekhyun looked at Yixing. “Maybe if I’m at your house, I can relax. Especially when I’m doing something.”

“You’re just making things hard for yourself.”

“Just let me, okay? It’s me who’s having a hard time and not you.”

“Whatever. It’s in favor to me anyway. My house is cleaned and I have meals for free.” Yixing placed both of his earphones on his ears and chose a song to be played.

Baekhyun turned the volume up and faced Yixing. “I’m handsome said my friends and my colleagues.” Baekhyun said in gritted teeth. “I know how to cook. I just don’t know how to wash clothes but at least, I know a decent laundry shop. I’m also good, thoughtful, and sweet. I have a good educational and family background. And I like you, damn it! What else is lacking, huh?”

Yixing is just staring at him, puzzled. It seems like he can’t hear anything that he just said because of the loud volume of his music, plus the noise coming from the television. That’s why he gathered courage in talking to Yixing like that.

“And you, why didn’t you tell me that you have a girlfriend already? Did you know that it is difficult having feelings for you? My head hurts. Now my heart is hurting as well. Of all the men here in this planet, why do I have to like you? I just like you, though. I’m not even in love with you. But why do you confuse me this much?” Yixing just remained staring at him. “And you should have been the one attracted to me, not the other way around. You’re so annoying!”

After he stared at Yixing for a long time, he turned his gaze back on the television. Baekhyun started to be annoyed at himself. After he blurt out everything he feels, it turns out that he is at fault and not Yixing. It wasn’t older man’s fault that Baekhyun fell on his charms. Yixing didn’t force him to like him so there’s no one to blame but himself.

“Argh. I’m really frustrated. Why did God gave me this man?” Baekhyun looked up the ceiling. “Not that I’m complaining. I’m just asking a question.”

He’s always failing when it comes to love. There are men who came in his life but it’s either he didn’t had any feelings to them or they like someone else. Just like this guy beside him. Yixing is one of the men who came into his life but he cannot love him.

Baekhyun sighed. “Okay, let’s stop this madness. If there’s no guy meant for me, then fine. It’s not as if it would be the end of the world. I can do many things even if I don’t have a boyfriend. In fact, maybe I can do so much more if I’m alone. I can be a volunteer at UNICEF or at the World Wildlife Fund because I love animals. I could travel the world and help a lot of people.”

As for growing old, he wouldn’t have to worry about that. There are many institutions all over South Korea that takes care of old people. He’ll just stay in one of those places. It’s sad but he should accept that not everyone have someone destined to them. If he won’t accept that, then he would never be contented in life.

Baekhyun looked at Yixing. The older guy is just looking at him with his earphones jammed on his ears. There’s still that nagging feeling in his heart. Oh well, Baekhyun could get used to the fact that he would be alone for the rest of his life, just like the way he got used to his feelings for Yixing.

“Did you hear what I said?” Baekhyun asked. He didn’t get any reaction from Yixing. “I won’t explain it anymore. You deal with it yourself.”

Yixing moved. He removed his earphones and placed the one on his ear. “Just relax, okay?” He said.

That’s when he realized that Yixing didn’t hear everything that he said. The rock music playing on his phone is so loud. Baekhyun just sighed. He lied down on the couch. There was a warm liquid building at the side of his eyes. He closed his eyes to stop the tears to fall from his eyes.

“Why couldn’t I just fall for a normal guy?” He softly asked.

The music stopped. Then a classical piano music replaced the rock music that he was listening to. He looked at Yixing. He seemed to know what he wanted to ask when he answered.

“People just have different taste in music. Classical music is one of the things that I like to listen to.” Yixing lowered the volume of his phone. The music became a soothing sound in his ear. “Try to relax once in a while, Baekhyun.”

“Hmm.” Baekhyun closed his eyes again. “Maybe I should really relax. I’m getting tired with what I am doing.”

“Good.”

“Yixing? What’s your type in a person?” Another pang of pain stabbed his heart. “Why do I even ask you that? You already have a girlfriend. I’m so stupid.” Baekhyun tried to laugh at his own question. He felt something touched his cheeks. He opened his eyes and saw Yixing brushing his thumb against his cheeks.

“You’re really weird when you’re tired, you easily cry.”

“I’m not crying. I’m just tired.” Baekhyun denied.

“Here.” Yixing removed the earbud on his ear and placed it on one of Baekhyun’s ear. “It seems like classical music makes you relaxed.”

“I don’t want—”

“Just relax here until you want, Baekhyun.”

Baekhyun forgets why his heart was protesting when Yixing gently caressed his cheek. Was it just his imagination or did Yixing actually looked at him like he adored him? But before he could asses that any further, Yixing averted his gaze and adjusted the volume of his phone for him. Then he turned off the television and left him in the living room. Baekhyun closed his eyes and let sleep envelop him.

 


Baekhyun woke up because of a melodious music. He felt so good. It feels like he had a good rest. A very good one. But even if his whole system is awake, he still doesn’t feel the need to get up. He still wanted to feel that warm and soft thing enveloping him.

Warm and soft thing? He opened his eyes and he’s in an unfamiliar place. He’s in another room. He glanced at that thing at the side of the room. It is Yixing. He’s in front of his laptop and busy with pressing the keys of his keyboard. He stared at him. The feeling he had for Yixing was still there. Maybe it won’t be gone. Or if it did, it will take a long time to do so.

Yixing must’ve felt his presence so he turned to look at him.

“Oh, you’re already awake.”

“Yeah.” Baekhyun sat on the bed. “I didn’t know I fell asleep. I’m sorry.”

“It’s okay.” Yixing motioned at his bedroom using the pencil that he is holding. “I don’t have a guest room that’s why I brought you here. I saw you’re not comfortable sleeping on the couch.”

“Ah… thanks.”

Yixing put down his pencil and took the tray that is placed on the table. Baekhyun was surprised when Yixing brought the tray to him. Breakfast in bed? Yixing must’ve seen his reaction. “You did a lot here in my house. You cleaned, did my laundry and cooked for me. I’m not dumb to not appreciate what you did for me. This is the least thing I can do to compensate for that.”

“I didn’t ask for any payment for everything that I’ve done.”

“I know.” Yixing fixed the utensils on the tray. “Eat. Finish it all.”

“I’m on a diet.”

Yixing looked at him with furrowed eyebrows. “I made an effort cooking that. `You see this?” Yixing raised a hand where gauze on his index finger can be seen. “It’s been a long time since I had a wound because of a knife. And it’s because I wanted to make you breakfast. Then you will say you’re on a diet? Argh.” Yixing almost pulled his hair out of frustration and went back in front of his laptop.

Baekhyun looked at the tray. It has a glass of orange juice, three slices of bread, fried egg, fried sausages, fried bacon and gaji bokkeum, a stir-fried eggplant side dish.

“Why is there an eggplant?” He asked. It’s a bit unusual to serve an eggplant side dish for breakfast.

Yixing looked at him with furrowed eyebrows.

“I was just asking…”

“Just eat your food, okay?” He turned off the music. “Finish everything. Especially the eggplant.”

A lulling music that put him to sleep, a comfortable bed, and now, breakfast in bed. Baekhyun wants to think that Yixing prepared it all for him. He cannot help but smile. There’s no other person who did it for him before just like what Yixing did to him. His heart softened for the older guy again.

“Thanks for this.” He started eating, with so much grace just so he could fully appreciate the taste of the food.

“It’s been a while since you last came here.” Yixing asked after a while. “You became fed up of coming here?”

Baekhyun looked up at Yixing. “I was just busy with the magazine. We were chasing a deadline last week so I stayed at my office frequently.”

“Ah…”

“Did you miss me?” Baekhyun couldn’t help but ask. He wiggled his eyebrows at Yixing.

“I was just asking. Did you hear anything that I was looking for you?”

This man is such a snob. Baekhyun pouted. But it’s okay. Yixing is taking care of him now. He could forgive him.

“I missed your cooking.” Yixing said.

“What?” Baekhyun almost choked with what he heard.

“I didn’t miss you. But I missed your cooking.” Yixing turned his attention on his laptop again.

“Really?”

“Yeah.”

Baekhyun almost leaped out of joy. He felt as if his heart was fed with thousands of chocolates that’s why it’s crazily beating right now. He easily felt joy when he is with Yixing. His words are enough to satiate his heart. Still munching on a strip of bacon, he went to Yixing’s side. He is busy with making melodies and mixing beats and rhythms.

“That sounds good. Is that your new work?” He asked.

“No. I just finished making a new album for a boy group and I already sent it to SM. I’m just spending my free time. Did you finish your food?” Yixing looked up at him.

 “Huh? Oh, yes. You’re good at frying. It tastes good.” Baekhyun placed a whole strip of bacon in his mouth.

“I know that you’re good at cooking so don’t mock me. Just be thankful that I fed you.”

“Yixing, chill out. I was just kidding. Breathe out.” Baekhyun playfully slapped his shoulders.

Instead of following his advice, Yixing just pulled the leg of a chair and motioned him to sit down on it. And Baekhyun was more than willing to oblige. “You want to try making music?”

“Even if I wanted to, I don’t know how.”

“That’s why I’m teaching you.” Yixing held out a box of tissue to him. “Since you don’t want to stop with teasing and bugging me.”

Baekhyun took the tissue paper and wiped the oil from the bacon off his fingers. It’s a miracle that Yixing is inviting him to be close to him that’s why he won’t waste the opportunity. He wants to be with Yixing for a long time.

“No, thanks. I’ll just watch you. Wait, did you make the lyrics of that song as well?”

 “Yeah.” Yixing continued playing with a small electric keyboard at the side of his laptop. “This title track debuted number two on all charts and the album ranked first on the physical sales charts.”

“Really? Wow! You’re so amazing.”

“Not really. I will accept that I’m amazing if my songs ranked number one.”

“Wow, that’s a bit… arrogant.”

“I was just saying the truth.”

Baekhyun turned at the laptop screen. “Well, even if I don’t listen to music that much, I can say that you did an amazing job. The rhythm is catchy and the lyrics make me feel good. The chorus part is amazing as well. It’s not a surprise that you don’t go out on daylight very much. You spend so much time creating great music like this.”

“Not really.” Yixing cleared his throat. There’s a hint of redness tinged on his cheeks.

“Don’t be ashamed.” Baekhyun pressed a finger on Yixing’s side. He jolted that’s why he laughed. Oh, so Yixing is ticklish.

“Stop that.” Yixing chided.

“How did you do that?”

“Do what?”

“Not smiling for a whole day. Isn’t your head hurting?”

“No.”

“How about your cheeks, it doesn’t get any stiff neck?”

Yixing looked like he saw a foreign object with the way he was looking at him. “How can a person’s cheek will get a stiff neck?”

Baekhyun clicked his tongue. “Yixing, I told you to chill out. You know.” He reasoned. “Just take a deep breath.”

“Stop it. You look stupid.”

He laughed. “You don’t want me to look stupid?”

“You look smart and elegant. Looking stupid doesn’t suit you.”

“Concerned?” He asked, grinning at Yixing.

“No. Troubled.”

He laughed again. Yixing is really something else. He can easily make him laugh with his simple remarks, which is intended to . Well, sorry to say that Yixing’s teases don’t affect him in any way. He doesn’t know when his behavior towards Yixing changed. Before, he is ready to clock his face when he is just lightly teasing him. But now, it seems like he made sure to laugh and smile every time the older guy is around. His day is also not complete when he doesn’t see him. Or when he isn’t thinking about him.

Yixing had a huge impact in his life without him noticing. But it’s okay. He’s happy and that’s the most important thing. Even if he doesn’t get Yixing’s attention, he’s contented with that.

“You became quiet.” Yixing said. “You’re still hungry?”

“No, there are still some egg and sausages left. I’ll just eat it.”

“Do you really have to mention the egg and sausages?”

“Why?”

“Nothing.”

Baekhyun thinks for a while. What is wrong with egg and sausage? When he cannot think of any answer, he just shrugged. He looked at Yixing’s face. He really couldn’t get enough of that face. “Yixing?”

“Hmm?”

“Why are you always wearing your eyeglasses? You can just use contact lenses.”

“Contact lenses are high maintenance. It’s difficult to remove and put on. Unlike these glasses that I’m wearing.”

“But you cannot show your face.”

“You’re the only one complaining.”

Come to think of it, he learned to like Yixing’s grumpiness. Baekhyun brought his face closer to Yixing and gently blew at his ear. He turned to him. Baekhyun just smiled at him. “Just relax, hmm?” Then he kissed Yixing’s cheek and bailed out.

His smile is as wide as an elephant while he is leaving Yixing’s house. He wants to scream and brag to everyone that he just kissed the most handsome guy on this planet. But in the end, he just kept it to himself. He wants to keep that special moment in his heart without everyone knowing about it.

Memories like that should be kept in her heart. Forever.

 


I'm really sorry if I updated this just now. So many things have happened these past month. Anyway, I'm really sleepy and I just want to say that we have only four chapters left before the end of this story. Thank you so much for supporting this story even though I seldom update :(