Chapter One

Wandering Heart

Baekhyun sighed for the nth time while looking outside. He is in Viva Polo, the café restaurant owned by Park Chanyeol, his friend Kyungsoo’s husband.

He is sad. It’s because his cousin Taeyong, who is a few years younger than him, is getting married to his longtime boyfriend, Jaehyun. And then there were his friends, Kyungsoo and Sehun. Kyungsoo is already married while Sehun is in a happy relationship with his boyfriend. While he, the great Byun Baekhyun is alone. If you think about it, among them, he is the one who cannot wait to have a love life. But there’s no one wooing him. And that’s why he is upset.  He knows he is a perfect catch but he doesn’t have a boyfriend yet. He’s so fed up of being single and chasing men.

“Hey! You’re just staring outside for the longest time. Are you okay?” Sehun prodded. He sat on the chair beside him and plucked a leaf from the plant and started to remove the paint under his nails. Sehun is an abstract painter so it’s normal to see paint on every part of his body.

“Don’t tease me especially when I’m getting sentimental here. I don’t want to smack the back of your head, Oh Sehun.”

“Relax, hyung. You’re a little bit tensed today.”

“I’m not. Just continue picking—” He gasped when he saw Sehun’s finger. It has a white gold band with diamond linings. “That’s an engagement ring!”

“Huh?” Sehun looked at his ring as if it’s his first time seeing it. But the smile on Sehun’s face and the sparkle in his eyes said otherwise. “Yeah. Kim Jongin proposed to me last night. And I said ‘Get out!’ He just took it as a ‘yes’. He’s so sweet, right?”

Jongin became Sehun’s nuisance of a critic when they first met. But now, the two of them are getting married.

“I’m so happy for you, Sehun.” Baekhyun sincerely said.

“Why do you look like you’re mourning?”

“Who wouldn’t be?” Baekhyun decided that he won’t hold back his feelings anymore. “As far as we all know, you don’t care if you’ll have a boyfriend or not, right? And Kyungsoo is so lazy to go out and find men. But look at the two of you. You’re both happy with your love life. While me, on the other hand, is still struggling every single day to find a man that I can spend the rest of my life with.”

“Yuck, hyung you’re so corny.”

“Hey! Let me finish!”

“Okay.”

“Look at them.” Baekhyun pointed at the couples inside Viva Polo. “They are all happy with their loved ones. What do they have that I don’t?”

“Boyfriend.” Sehun quickly answered.

Baekhyun just slapped Sehun’s arm. He’s about to pinch the younger when Kyungsoo pulled the chair in front of him and sat down. He’s carrying a small book.

“Hey, Sehun! What’s your zodiac sign?” Kyungsoo asked.

“Aries.” Sehun answered.

“Your horoscope is good today.” Kyungsoo read Sehun’s horoscope. “For stupid Aries, your analysis is correct.”

“I’m not stupid.” Sehun protested.

“Just laugh and play along, okay?” Kyungsoo said.

Baekhyun just placed an elbow on the table and sighed while watching the two of his friends laugh. They really love to laugh at trivial things.

“Baekhyun hyung is a Taurus.” Sehun prompted.

“Here it is.” Kyungsoo read what’s written on the small book. Where did he get it anyways? “For heartbroken Taurus, you will see your ex soon. You will notice a great change in him. He has grown three extra fingers.”

The two guffawed louder.

Baekhyun just grabbed the small book and tossed it in the trashcan.

“You’re such a party pooper.” Kyungsoo and Sehun said.

“Can we just focus on me now? Because you two have a wonderful love life. And I contributed a lot to get your man which is now your husband.” He said while looking at Kyungsoo. And then he turned to Sehun. “And your boyfriend.”

“Fiancé.” Sehun corrected.

“Whatever. Anyway, I want you two to help me have a love life of my own or I’ll curse you.”

“Well, it won’t affect us.” Sehun piped.

When he frowned, is two friends kept quiet.

Kyungsoo sighed. “Okay, fine. What is bothering you, hyung?”

“Boyfriend.” Sehun answered on his behalf. He also continued picking paint under his nails. “He’s annoyed because both of us have lovers and Baekhyun hyung doesn’t have one.”

“Well, Baekhyun hyung, we cannot do anything about that. Because naturally attractive person like me and Sehun can easily have lovers.” Kyungsoo said.

“I’m really going to ask for help on a witch to put a curse on you.” Baekhyun retorted childishly.

“Well, it can only be effective if you can sneeze with your eyes open.” Sehun smirked.

Then the two of his friends laughed a maniac.

Baekhyun decided not to join them anymore and just leave the place. He’s about to stand up but Kyungsoo grabbed his arm.

“You’re so sensitive, hyung. We’re just trying to make you laugh.” Kyungsoo said.

“What ‘trying to make me laugh?’ You’re laughing at me.” Baekhyun returned to his seat, pouting. “You two are so annoying. You’re not taking my problem seriously.  If you won’t help me, I’m going to make a scene at your wedding, Sehun.”

“It’s okay. I like it. There will be a scandal on my wedding. That would really be interesting.”

“You’re really crazy.”

“I know.”

Baekhyun just sighed and looked outside the window again. No one really paid much attention to his problem. Well, it’s not new anyway. He was the perpetual single man who was always looking for a handsome man to hook. That must be the reason why instead of approaching him, men are staying away from him.

“What’s wrong with those men? Don’t they like someone who is handsome, y, smart, rich, and a good citizen of this country like me?” Baekhyun sighed again. “What’s wrong with me? I’m a good catch, right? Handsome, smart, successful, and y. But why is no one trying to be my boyfriend?”

“So many people adore you.” Kyungsoo said.

“Just adore. What am I going to do with that if no one’s approaching me and asking me to be their boyfriend. And you cannot say that I’m not making an effort because I’m doing everything just for men to notice me, well, ert people are out of the question though. Still, is everything that I’m doing not enough? Don’t I deserve to be loved?”

“There’s nothing wrong with you.” Sehun said. He finally stopped picking the paint under his nails. “Ypu probably just had too much of everything—success, wealth, and even that handsome face. And some people are threatened by those.”

“You’re handsome, smart, successful, and famous. But why is Jongin not threatened by you? And you, Kyungsoo. You’re on the crazy side but why did Chanyeol love you?” Baekhyun asked. Chanyeol is Kyungsoo’s husband who is the owner of Viva Polo.

“Because Chanyeol is different. He’s not the type of man who becomes insecure of people who are achievers.” Kyungsoo answered.

“Same with my Jongin.” Sehun piped. “He doesn’t think of those things that you mentioned when he is with me. He doesn’t care if I’m a beggar or a successful painter. He loves me and that’s what ‘s important to him.”

Kyungsoo agreed with Sehun. “The point is, don’t be too impatient. Someone will come and who will love you without caring about your social status. If that person comes, you shouldn’t let them go. You can tie him on your waist just to make sure.”

Baekhyun calmed a little with his friends’ words. But he’s still envious of the couple around him. “But why you two have men already? Why am I the only single here?”

“Of course not.” Sehun was smiling when he motioned him to look at the door of Viva Polo. “Yixing hyung is still single. Am I right, hyung?” Sehun loudly asked the older man.

Baekhyun wryly smiled when he saw Yixing. Zhang Yixing was their neighborhood’s resident nerd. He had a tousled hair. He was wearing a white crumpled hoodie jacket over an even more crumpled shirt, worn-out jeans, and unlaced worn-out sneakers. If Yixing won’t move, he would assume that the man is a huge rug. But in all fairness to him, even if his clothes are all crumpled, it looked clean. To fashion editor of fashion magazines like him, Baekhyun cannot help but criticize Yixing’s choice of clothing.

“Yixing hyung!” Sehun hollered again.

Looking over the book he was reading, Yixing adjusted his black-rimmed eyeglasses and nodded before burying his face to his book once again. He was still holding his book when he falls in line on the counter.

Baekhyun knotted his forehead. “Do you think Yixing is an alien? His weirdness is not normal.”

 “Just because he’s reading a book?” Sehun turned to him.

“And his taste for an outfit is bad.” Baekhyun said.

“I don’t know about you, Baekhyun hyung. But I think Yixing hyung is cool.” Sehun said.

“He’s like you so you have that point of view. You’re both not normal.”

“Hyung, if you could just look past his clothes, I’m sure you will like him.”

“Huh?”

“You know,” Kyungsoo said, finally joining them. He’s still looking at Yixing though. “I noticed this for a long time but I think Yixing hyung is good-looking. It can’t be seen though because he’s always staying inside his house. He has a nice body and handsome as well, right? And his clothes are decent too.”

Baekhyun looked at Yixing and looked at the good points that Kyungsoo mentioned. But his eyes hurt because he can’t really accept Yixing’s outfit. “Is it okay to look at a vagrant like him? I can’t see what you are seeing.”

“It’s because you’re always looking for handsome men.” Sehun said. “That’s why you always fail in men because you’re just looking for their physical appearance.”

“What can I do? It’s always better to look at handsome people instead of looking at that…” Baekhyun glanced at Yixing. “That kind of person.”

“Well then, good luck on being unsuccessful in having a boyfriend.”

“Hey, I have a suggestion, Baekhyun hyung…” Kyungsoo smiled at him. “Why don’t you change your preference of the men that you’re looking for? In that way maybe you can find the man that’s for you.”

“What do you mean?”

“Why not go for brainy guys this time? Because you’re unlucky with just handsome men, anyways. Let’s raise your standards a little.” Kyungsoo pointed at the counter. “Yixing hyung is single. And available.”

He gave Kyungsoo a fake smile. “He is out of the question. You know my type. He’s not one of them. And I won’t waste my time on chasing him.”

“Okay.” Sehun turned to the man who is the subject of their conversation. “Hey, Yixing hyung! Do you want to have a date? I have a friend who is looking for a date tonight.”

Instead of reprimanding Sehun, he just let the younger man do whatever he wants. Even if Sehun managed to make Yixing say yes, he’s still the one who’s going to decide if he wants to go out with Yixing or not. If he doesn’t like something, he’s firm with his decision. He doesn’t have any plans of lowering his standards with the men that he will choose to love.

Sehun called Yixing again and his plans of setting him up on a date with him. But Baekhyun didn’t hear any reaction from Yixing. He looked at the man. He is still at the counter while waiting for his turn to order with his face still buried on the book. He cannot take it anymore. He marched towards Yixing and grabbed the book that he is reading.

“My friend is asking if you want a date tonight.” He said to Yixing.

“Who? You?” Yixing takes the book from him. “No, thanks. I can still do more important things than to waste my time having a date with you. Tell Sehun I said thanks.”

It suddenly became quiet inside Viva Polo after Yixing spoke. Even he cannot react. Baekhyun just gawked at Yixing while he feels his body getting numb. While Yixing casually returned his attention back to the book that he was reading. He cannot believe that someone has the audacity to talk to him like that. He is the great Byun Baekhyun, one of the most important people in their neighborhood. He also belongs to one of the most prominent family in South Korea and he’s also one of the most famous person in the fashion industry.

Yixing looked at him, bored. “Do you mind? I’m the next in line before you.”

That seemed to snap his thin patience. Baekhyun grabbed Yixing’s book again and slapped it on the older’s arm. “Hey! You’re not that handsome!”

“You’re not that handsome as well. Excuse me.” Yixing retrieved the book from him and took a step away from him and towards the counter and ordered.

He was left there, speechless. He can repeatedly hear what Yixing has told him. It means that he’s not good-looking. His mind is still somewhere else when he returned to their table. His friends immediately consoled him.

“Baekhyun hyung don’t mind him. Yixing hyung was just joking.” Sehun said.

“Maybe he’s not in the mood to talk to anyone.” Kyungsoo said.

But Baekhyun doesn’t heed their words. The only thing registering on his mind is Yixing’s words. Maybe he’s not handsome that’s why no one is asking him to be their boyfriend. Even a nerd like Yixing turned him down.

“Hyung you know it’s not true. Of course, you’re handsome. I told you Yixing hyung was just joking. Right, Yixing hyung?” Kyungsoo stood up and pulled Yixing by the arm towards their table. Yixing was standing in front of him now, sipping his iced coffee. And not an ounce of guilt was visible on his face as he looked down on him. “Yixing hyung, please say that you are joking. Baekhyun hyung is handsome, right?”

“If he’s handsome, why would you need my opinion? Don’t waste my time asking about trivial things.” Yixing walked away from them.

Baekhyun just looked at him while Yixing was walking out of Viva Polo. While he was looking at him, he feels sadder and sadder every second. He was ugly. No wonder no one was courting him.

 


Here it is! ;) Typos and grammatical errors will be edited tomorrow