Chapter 4

My Heart With You

Another storm comes without warning, and it flips the seaside village upside down. Homes tumbled down, and the boats rocked violently against the docks. The wind comes through, moving the sand and knocking off any unstable establishments. One of the elders who had worked hard to build the lines of dried fishes falls, and the animals that were able to free themselves from their confines ran away to safety.

 

The food shelter was ravaged, the wooden carts used to haul goods and other trades were splintered like they were made of glass.

 

The village becomes undone, and unfortunate lives were lost.

 

There was a popular myth about the sea creatures passed down throughout the generations of people and outsiders, but the people did not believe it until now. The powerful sirens or maybe even the gods, when angry or even bored, they use their powers to stir the oceans. They are ruthless, and their emotions seeps into the storm, wrecking havoc in the world.

 

They lead people astray, their voices are lies, and their beauty are temptations that humans should never indulge into.

 

They are monsters, and they do not belong in this world.

 

~

 

The men of the village, including Donghae, scavenged what was left for them to live for. The women cried for their dead, and the children went hungry.

 

Frustrated, Donghae’s father, Leeteuk and the other men planned a roust to hunt for sea creatures. Donghae can see them by setting out early in the morning, and bringing home huge tails that befit a larger fish by sunset.

 

Donghae comes out at night, searching for Eunhyuk, wondering if he is all right, and hoping that he will not see the day where his tail is hanging off on rack for sale for those merchants coming by to trade. He gnaws on his worries, and comes home with a heavy feeling that his heart is somewhere else, and not anywhere on land.

 

He touches the pouch by his waist, containing the pearls that Eunhyuk had left behind. It was going to be his keepsake from him.

 

Eunhyuk, please be okay.

 

~

 

The waves were virulent one night. It pounds the shore like it’s threatening to wipe the little world beside it from its existence. Donghae backs away from sea creature hunting, but the men were all brave and they are strong, so they go to the raging sea. He follows them out like a madman, pleading with his father to stop, to get away, but they no matter how much the rain pushes them back, they continue to hop on their boats.

 

Donghae charges towards the rocky shore, desperate and calling for Eunhyuk. The wind howls and the sea is roaring, it is loud in his ears.

 

“Eunhyuk!” Donghae shouts. The sea starts to scream. “Are you there?”

 

He stands on their rendezvous spot, and the sea builds its momentum. It screeches, and Donghae barrels into the darkness. He floats in uncertainty, and suddenly, arms come up around his waist. They come up to the surface, and Donghae takes a huge gasp for breath.

 

Eunhyuk is in front of him and suddenly there’s silence. Donghae leans over, trying to catch his lips.

 

Don’t forget me, Donghae.

 

Donghae opens his eyes and vomits water. He was certain that Eunhyuk had told him something. The sun blinds him, and the hot sand sticks to his skin.

 

Donghae groans.

 

~

 

Donghae knows, somehow that Eunhyuk is far away. The town slowly recovers, but they continue to hunt for Eunhyuk’s kind. Donghae never joins in the cruel hunt and chooses to help the women with the children. A caravan passes through their village, bearing products from the outside world, and Donghae uses Eunhyuk’s tears to acquire what the people needed.

 

“Where in the world did you find the money to get this?” Sungmin demanded, taking the silks into his hands.

Donghae grits his teeth. “Just accept it.”

“Donghae, we’re ing poor!”

“I’m not a ing kid who don’t know his money!”

 

A horrible shriek tears Donghae away from his brother’s face. He peeks out of their window and spots a half-man with a tail. His red tail glistens under the sun like the embers of a fire, it was loud and it begged for attention.

 

“Look!” One of the men exclaims. He picks up something from the ground. He raises up a giant pearl in his hand. “His tears turn into pearls!”

 

Donghae’s eyes widened. Sungmin stares at the back of his brother’s head.

 

“Donghae, where did those pearls come from?” Sungmin asks with trepidation. “You know the men hate these creatures. If they find out you’ve been-”

“You hate them too!”

“Father will kill you if you keep dallying with them!”

“They didn’t do anything-”

“How do you know?” Sungmin deadpans.

 

Donghae stops, but the sea creature outside is still howling.

 

“Make it cry more! We’ll be rich!” The village men cried in fervor.



 

 

A/N: Don't read in the story too much.