Chapter 10

My Heart With You

Hyukjae swims to the ends of the world, from ocean to ocean, letting himself get as far his heavy heart can go. He knows it won’t take long, and it grates at him, taunting him. It's like attaining a goal you never wanted for yourself, but you have to go through it because somehow it's the only way you can see.

 

A legend among the sea creatures is told like this.

 

When a creature of the sea gives their heart away, it belongs to that place permanently. Once that place accepts them, they remain close to them. They become a part of each other that it was hard to distinguish where one begins, and where one ends. A heart dies without its other half.

 

Hyukjae closes his eyes, because he is beyond exhausted. He gives one last push, and he dissolves into foam and bubbles. Heechul mourns the loss of his younger friend.

 

However, on the other side, Hyukjae greets Donghae with a bright smile. 

 

They are at sea again, and Donghae’s boat floats on the pristine waters. The heavens had granted them one last wish.

 

He raises his fingers toward him, and Donghae meets it eagerly. Donghae lines his calloused fingers against his smooth ones, and clasps his hand with a resolve to never let go of it. They can afford that forever now, to make reckless promises that they will continue to live out the rest of it together.

 

“I told you, I won’t forget you,” Donghae tells him. He welcomes him back, and Hyukjae knows that this place won’t let time touch their days.

 

~

 

No matter how much the others had warned him, Hyukjae is a curious kid, and he happens to land himself in unfortunate situations.

 

Tonight, the sea is in a rage. It folds in anger, only to open up to take in more space. 

 

Hyukjae comes up to the surface, and sees a boat break into pieces. 

 

He sees someone go under and he rushes to rescue them.

 

The human’s hand comes up to brush his face and Hyukjae shudders.

 

“Hello,” the human breathes in wonder, like it was his first time speaking. That very word is sacred, a reverence meant for only him.

 

Hyukjae senses that he’s not like the other humans that his kind paint them to be. So he opens his heart to him, and in that moment, Donghae becomes his to love. Somehow, he knows that the other man will stalk the sea to scan for him.

 

Yes, you will see me again. You will find me, and I will do the same. Do you hear that? Hyukjae. That’s my real name. It breaks the sky apart and it shakes your land to ruin, but it’s yours to hear and yours to keep.

Don’t forget me, Donghae. My heart is with you now. 

 

 

End.