Part 4

UGLY DUCK (MoonSun)

Part 4

 

Moon Byul-Yi's POV

 

I was kicking the kickstand of my bicycle when I noticed Yong-Sun. She was frantically waving at me and I timidly returned the unnecessary gesture. I was not ready to face her. What happened again? Oh. She followed me. I rejected her. She suddenly cried. I accepted her. Does this mean we're together? I needed clues.

 

"You're early today, Yong-Sun."
"I want to surprise you."
"You did surprise me. In a way."
"Oh no, boo, boo, boo."
"Hmmm. What are you doing?"
"I forgot to say it. Boo."
"Umm. You're being ridiculous."

 

I stated the obvious with a slight frown. Yong-Sun puffed her cheeks at me. She was obviously upset by my lack of enthusiasm to stick to her silly banter. I was in no mood for stupid jokes. I had low blood pressure in the morning. Still. She made me waver. I don't know why. I gave her a broad smile despite my huge headache.

 


 

I glanced at Yong-Sun every now and then. We were walking together to the classroom. She was happily humming a lullaby. I know it was a lullaby because it sounds familiar. I did not remember its title. Hell. I might never knew its title. I then glanced through the hallway. It was too empty. My fangirls were nowhere in sight.

 

"Boo hoo, sob, boo hoo."

 

I cringed inwardly at the sudden echoes of the unknown. I clenched my fists and I buckled my knees. I was ready to run. Yong-Sun did not even flinch. She seemed to be oblivious to them. Worst comes to worst, I'll leave her in the dust. I considered my plausible thought as I heard them again. Hang on. They were actually cries.

 

"The boys must be lying."
"It can't be true."
"It can't. I can't believe it."

 

I squinted my eyes while I strained to discern the distant whispers. We made a turn and we immediately saw two girls huddled in the open. I knew those silly hairstyles. They're part of my fan base. I was about to approach them when Yong-Sun suddenly tugged my shirtsleeve. She looked up at me with teary eyes. This girl.

 


 

I took deep breaths. Yong-Sun was still sniffling. It took me ten whole minutes to comfort her. Her reaction was too slow. I mean. The cries were already gone by the time she processed them. I even lost sight of the two girls. I looked at Yong-Sun. She nodded at me. Let's go. We got to the classroom after four more turns.

 

"Yong-Kong Byul-Kong are here."
"Good job, Moon."
"We could finally have girlfriends."
"Congratulations."
"I never knew you were together."

 

I observed them, my male classmates, with mixed feelings. They're early. They happily greeted us with toothy grins, one by one, as soon as we entered the classroom. They even showered us with confetti as they escorted us to our seats. I caught sight of Tae-Seop. I can always count on him. He was different from them.

 

"What's going on?"
"Hyuk-Woo told us he saw you yesterday."
"What did he say?"
"You guys were arguing about something."
"You had it wrong."
"He also took pictures of you two hugging."
"With what again?"
"He made them into fliers. I got one. Here."
"What the - heck?"

 

I deliberately toned down the curse because I was around Yong-Sun. I turned around to face her but she was nowhere to be seen. Wait a minute, where is she? I sighed in relief as soon as I saw her. She was cowering in her seat while those idiots surrounded her with bowls of confetti in hands. I fetched her right away.

 

"It's fine if you don't want to talk about it."
"No . You scared me."
"The fights between lovers can be nasty."
"When did you get here?"
"I wish you the best. You too, Yong-Sun."

 

I was removing the confetti off Yong-Sun when Tae-Seop startled me with his deep voice. I spontaneously covered her ears as I cursed under my breath. He simply patted my back twice before he went back to his seat. His expression was lifeless. Hell. He was always lifeless. He was even dubbed as the dead by our teachers.

 

To Be Continued