Part 3

UGLY DUCK (MoonSun)

Part 3

 

Moon Byul-Yi's POV

 

I stole a look at Yong-Sun. She was following me. What's the big deal? I got confessed to many times and I rejected my admirers every time. I was not into serious relationships. I was not into casual relationships either. I'll just reject her. I barely knew her. She came into my life all of a sudden, with those goofy smiles of hers.

 

"Byul-Yi."

 

I stopped walking as soon as she called me. I was beyond nervous. I then slowly turned around to face her. Yong-Sun locked my eyes with hers. Hers seemed to waver before mine. She clenched the straps to her bag as she bit her lower lip. Her cheeks were so puffy. I wanted to fondle them. Focus, Byul. I heaved a sigh.

 

"I know what you want to say."
"Oh."
"Hye-Jin told me a while ago."
"Oh."
"You see. I can't be with you."
"Oh."
"I – I don't feel the same way."
"Oh."
"I can't accept it. I'm so sorry."

 

I did not want to play with her feelings. Yong-Sun was too innocent. I would worry about Hye-Jin later. I survived her tortures for months. I could last until we graduate. I looked down at the empty pavement. I could not bring myself to look at her but I gave in. The lost expression on her face was overwhelming. It hurt me.

 

Ahn Hye-Jin's POV

 

I clenched my fists as I quickly struck Whee-In. The puppy barked at me and I simply shut her up with another struck. Byul-Yi is pissing me off. Yong-Sun was getting teary and and he did absolutely nothing to lessen the blow. He even ratted me out to her. She suddenly took one step closer to him. He flinched in fear.

 

"Do you have someone else?"
"No. Never."
"Is it because of my disorder?"
"No. What?"
"What do I do? I still love you."
"Yong-Sun."
"I – I. I don't want to break up."

 

What break up? You're not dating. I was about to struck Whee-In again but the puppy was getting smarter. She furiously hissed at me as she hurriedly scooted for safety. I scowled at her before I looked back at Yong-Sun. She was staring at Byul-Yi. He seemed to be confused by her words. know. They confused me too.

 

Moon Byul-Yi's POV

 

What confession? She already assume we're together. I could hardly believe it. I did not know she had a disorder. Hell. I probably heard her wrong. She talked too fast. Yong-Sun was an absolute mystery. I took a tiny step back as she came closer. She started to sniffle at my subtle rejection. I give up. I slowly strolled to her.

 

"I'm sorry I forgot everything about us."
"Us – what?"
"I'm sorry I fail every subject this year."
"Everything?"
"I'm sorry. It's the crash. I can't help it."
"Oh – what?"
"It slowed me. Hurt. Sometimes. Here."

 

Yong-Sun reached out for my hands. She gently put them above her head and I simply patted her there in return. I retracted my hands as soon as she let out whimpers. My heartbeat quickened a little. It was not out of – you know, butterflies – it was out of fear. She was truly a time bomb. I decide to play along for now.

 

"It's okay, we're okay."
"We are?"
"Yes. I'm just teasing."
"Meanie."
"I'm sorry, Yong-Sun."
"Really?"
"Yes. I'm really sorry."

 

Yong-Sun suddenly hugged me. She practically squeezed the air out of me. My shirt was wet with her tears. She was crying in my arms. It's okay, Byul, it's okay. I reassured myself. I could just let her know the truth later, when I had enough of playing house with her. I can use her to keep my secret. Truth be told. I'm a girl.

 

To Be Continued