Part 1

UGLY DUCK (MoonSun)

Part 1

 

Ahn Hye-Jin's POV

 

Yong-Sun was staring at Byul-Yi again and so did half the girls in this classroom. But the thing of it was, unlike her, they knew when to back down. You look away when you're caught staring at your crush, right? She was something else. She kept staring until he glared at her in return. They even sat close to each other.

 


 

Yong-Sun shifted uncomfortably in her seat. She was restless. She misses him already. This is bad news. She was obsessed with him. I tricked Byul-Yi into getting some records from the faculty. It was my duty. I was absolutely not lazy. I was worried for her. I took over his seat. Whee-In sat next to me straightway.

 

"You've never spoken to Byul-Yi."
"Right."
"Isn't it weird for you to love him?"

 

Yong-Sun laughed at me. I frowned at her in return. I did not make any joke. I rested my eyes on Whee-In for some sort of explanation. The puppy ignored me. She happily munched her favourite meatbuns. She even dared to give me a threatening glare as soon as she noticed my stare. I don't want your ing meatbuns.

 

"He's my lover. It's natural."
"Did he ask you out?"
"No way! We never spoke."

 

Yong-Sun laughed again before her puffy cheeks reddened all of a sudden. She quickly shook her head back and forth. I started to lose my patience. I knew her for ten years already but I could never figure her out. The hit and run did not help either. It worsened it. It even made her mind work in a special way. Innocent.

 

"So how did you become lovers?"
"We eat lunch together."
"He eats in his seat, next to you."
"He cleans up after me."
"You are paired with him in labs."
"We go home together."
"He lives in a dorm. You stalker."

 

Yong-Sun pouted every time I butted in her logics. Whee-In laughed at our seemingly funny conversation as she popped another meatbun into . I looked daggers at her. I wished it choked her before I looked back at Yong-Sun. Her sniffles made my heart melt. I heaved a deep sigh. Is she running out of reasons?

 

"He helps me with my exercises."
"So? He's the monitor."
"He waits for me even if I'm late."
"He does head counts."
"He calls me by my given name."
"Uh-huh. Who doesn't?"
"He smiles when our eyes meet."

 

He glares when your eyes meet. I wanted to tell her the truth but she was already in tears. She bit her lower lip as she trembled under my penetrating stare. Whee-In was about to say something but I hurriedly struck her stomach from under the table. Why? I read her lips. She was gasping for air. I knew this puppy too well.

 

"I'll ask him on our way home then."
"What?"
"I'll ask him about us. You just wait."

 

No . Whee-In could barely breathe as normal again when I struck her stomach for the second time. I honestly could not care less as I watched the puppy gasping for air. Yong-Sun got my full attention. She was unbelievable. I had to do something, anything, to stop her oblivious confession. What do I do? Do I warn him?

 


 

Jung Whee-In's POV

 

I coughed some meatbuns into the sink as I massaged my stomach. I loved Hye-Jin, as a friend, but she kept crossing the line. We were now in the restroom where I puked my heart out while she frowned at me in utter disgust. You make me. We left Yong-Sun in the classroom so that we – no – she could think. I never got her.

 

"We should tell her the truth."
"Do you want more?"
"You're such a jerk, Hye-Jin."
"I'm protecting Solar."
", really, by hurting me?"

 

I cowered in fear as soon as she showed me her fist. Hye-Jin was always the tough one between us. She acted older than her age. I still hardly believed that she was the youngest in our triangle circle. I also wanted to protect Yong-Sun. She changed a lot after the hit and run. I even scored higher than her in everything.

 

To Be Continued