When I Met Her

Go Along With It
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

There one’s thing Mina hated the most, and it’s when something didn’t go her way. From the moment she was born, the Japanese always got what she wanted. Be it a new car, a brand new phone, a pony for her birthday, she got it all. She didn’t have to whine about it or throw a teenage tantrum. Her parents put all the things she wanted on a silver platter. So when Jeongyeon broke up with her all of a sudden, she couldn’t let it go.

 

It had been two months since the breakup, and she was slowly starting to accept the reality of it all. But as she sat in her car and watched her ex giggling and walking close to one of the girls in her class, somehow, all those feelings of frustration and anger started to overwhelm her. She was still in love with Jeongyeon.

 

Mina walked to class with a grumpy look on her face, caught up with her thoughts on what went wrong between them. She was so preoccupied in replaying the scenes of the possible causes of the breakup that she didn’t acknowledge her friends as she passed by them.

 

Sana, with her cheerleader skirt bouncing along with her steps, jogged up to her. As she grabbed a hold of her hand, Mina snapped up from her thoughts. “Yah, watch where you’re going,” Sana said.

 

The younger Japanese looked up in front of her and saw a pillar just inches away from her face. She took a step back and sighed.

 

“Is something wrong?” Sana asked.

 

Momo approached the two in hurried excitement. “Guess what I just saw! Jeongyeon passed by and was getting really clingy with that one girl in our class. You know, the one with the teeth.”

 

“Ahhh,” Sana turned her head from Momo to Mina with a grin on her face. “So, that’s what’s bothering you. It’s been two months! You can’t show her that you’re still not over it. That would be like admitting defeat.”

 

“It’s not a competition...” Momo commented.

 

The cheerleader shook her finger to her other friend. Shaking her head, she then placed her hands on her hips. “You don‘t understand. A relationship is a path of competitions. When you have somebody, there’s no guarantee they’ll stay with you forever right? You have to work hard just to keep them. And when they do leave, you have to work hard to make sure they regret it. You don’t get it because you’ve never been in one.”

 

“It’s not like you’ve been in one either.”

 

“W-well, no. Anyways! That’s not the point.” Sana turned back to Mina. “You have to make Jeongyeon regret it. I mean, she didn’t even give a proper explanation as to why she broke up with you. I don’t understand. You’re smart, pretty, talented, what more could she possibly want? Does that other girl have something that you don’t? Like a second heart or something?”

 

Mina chuckled at the last comment. “What are you rambling on about? Forget about her. Let’s go. The bell just rang.” She held onto her backpack strap and walked on, her friends following her right behind.

 

When they arrived in the classroom for their biology class, most of the students had already taken their seats. The three barely made it in time before the teacher arrived. Momo and Sana took their usual seats in front of the class. Mina was about to grab the empty seat next to them when a hand reached for it first. She turned to her side to see a girl with short, boyish hair huffing as if she ran as fast as she could to get there.

 

“This is my seat,” Mina told her with a blank expression.

 

“We don’t have assigned seating.” the girl replied.

 

“This is my seat,” the Japanese said one more time, with a stern tone this time.

 

The girl paused to get her breath back and kept a tight grip on the seat. “It’s only the second day of the term. Did you already buy and own this chair?”

 

“Psst,” one of the students from the back whispered. “Chaeyoung-ssi, there’s an empty seat over here. Don’t fight her on it and just sit here.”

 

Just then, the teacher came through the door and ordered everybody to take their seats. Everybody was already seated, which left the two standing by themselves, drawing attention to the whole class.

 

Chaeyoung glared at Mina for a moment, and with a click of her tongue, she let go of the chair and moved to the empty one in the back.

 

As if the whole interaction didn’t faze her, Mina coolly took the seat next to her friends. The way she did so, with a flip of her hair and her back straight, made Chaeyoung all the more irritated. She was practically throwing daggers at her from the back.

 

The students weren’t allowed to speak during the whole time the teacher was speaking, therefore Mina didn’t get to ask her friends until after class ended, when they were walking to their next class.

 

“Who was that girl? I didn’t see her yesterday,” Mina asked the two.

 

Sana slung her sling bag onto her shoulder and pulled out her phone, checking her social media as they walked. “Who?”

 

“The one who was trying to take my seat.”

 

“Ah, Chaeyoung. She’s new here. She doesn’t know any better,” the cheerleader replied without glancing up from her device. She smiled as she stared at it. “I just got 100 likes on my photo.”

 

“Yah, you’re too obsessed with that. Who cares if a hundred strangers saw your picture. That’s kind of creepy.”

 

“You don’t understand because you’re never on it. You don’t even update yours. Everybody in this school has one. Anybody who doesn’t will be thrown out of the loop on all the updates.”

 

“She can’t not know what happens. You tell us the moment something remotely scandalous occurs,” Momo commented, rolling her eyes.

 

“Why should I care what a bunch of random people are doing with their lives?” Mina said, not showing a hint of care for the application. “I should delete my account. I have way too many things to be thinking about than people like my photo.”

 

“Like Jeongyeon and her new buddy,” she said with a smirk.

 

Mina groaned and walked faster.

 

High School was a social hierarchy and Mina, Sana, Momo, commonly known as MISaMo, practically led the whole school. They were what one would call The Holy Trinity. Neither one ever went to events alone. When Mina was there, people would surely see the other two as well. However, it wasn’t that they meant to be that popular. The three were simply the most beautiful people in the whole school, and somehow, it just so happened that they were also the best of friends.

 

Whenever they walked the hallways, they didn’t fail to turn the eyes of the students around them. They walked with elegance, as if they were the only people in the whole planet. Of course, it helped that they were also known for being the richest.

 

Sana’s family owned a line of perfumes known in all of Korea. Her father was a notable man that helped funded the school. There was also the fact that she was the head cheerleader that led their team to nationals for the first time since the birth of the school.

 

Momo’s mother led one of the best dance studios in all of Seoul. For that, she was known as one of the best dancers the town had ever seen. There was no dance competition she couldn’t beat. It got up to the point that the Japanese was banned from the school’s talent show after singlehandedly beating all the other contestants three shows in a row.

 

Mina was the daughter of one of the most successful restaurant owners in the whole country. Her father’s restaurant was known for being the first in all of Korea to receive three Michelin stars, and because of that, its popularity rose to the roof. Customers would need to reserve a seat months in advance just to get inside.

 

There was not a single soul in the prestigious Joongdoong High School that didn’t know the three. It wasn’t that they were mean or a group bullies. They had this air of royalty about them that separated them from the rest of the student body. Students simply remained their distance and tried not to get involved. Nobody would dare get in their way, which was why the whole interaction during her first period class left a deep impression on Mina.

 

When the three arrived in their second period classroom, Mina stopped in her tracks. The seat Sana had taken the day before was already preoccupied by the same girl who tried to fight her for the previous class’ seat. Chaeyoung was already seated up front and had her notebook and pen ready on the desk.

 

The Japanese approached the seat and looked down on her, causing the younger one to look up.

 

“What? Did you brand this seat with your name too?” Chaeyoung said with a hint of sarcasm.

 

“No. That’s my friend’s seat,” Mina replied with irritation in her voice.

 

Chaeyoung nodded, “Ah, sorry. Did your friend brand this seat with her name?”

 

“Aish, yah. There’s an unspoken rule in these types of things. The seat you take on the first day of school remains your seat for the entirety of the term. My friends and I had already taken these three seats right here,” Mina gestured to the other two empty seats next to Chaeyoung. “That means you, who joined us late, gets to take whatever empty seat is available.”

 

“Ahh, I see. Did you make that rule yourself? Wow, you must be quite influential.”

 

“You’re crazy...” Mina said with gritted teeth. “The three of us would like to sit next to each other. As you can see, there are no other seats other than these that would allow us to do that. You don’t have any friends that you would like to sit with, so why don’t you just take that empty seat at the back and make way for us, huh?”

 

Chaeyoung gave a light chuckle, “You’re so in over your head. What makes you think that I don’t have any friends in the class? Not everyone comes to school to chit chat with their friends.”

 

“What did you say? In over my head?” Mina placed her hands on her hips, getting even more irritated by the second. She was already in a bad mood and the more she spoke with this girl, the worse it got.

 

She was about to take another step forward to give her a piece of her mind when Sana pulled her back. “It’s okay. I’ll sit over there.”

 

Mina turned to look at her and then to the empty seat in the back. Right next to it was a girl with long, purple hair. She turned her gaze back to her friend. “With the delinquent?”

 

At that comment, Chaeyoung abruptly got up from her seat, causing the chair to loudly scape against the floor that caused the whole class to turn to them. “Did you just call my friend a delinquent?”

 

Mina looked at her. “Friend? The purple head? There’s an empty seat next to your friend, so why are you so intent in taking this one? You’re not just doing this to get on my nerves, are you?”

 

“I have my reasons, and they definitely do not include you. The world does not revolve around you, you know.”

 

Just then, the teacher came into the room that caused the rest of the s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter