[4/7]

Sanatorium

The next day, I was in the playroom with a good mood. My headache had gone last night and I felt a lot better. Thanks to the medicine.

I sat on a chair, there were pencil, papers, and also crayons on the table in front of me. I waited for a certain person to come. Fortunately, that person soon came with his expressionless face just as usual. I sat on his usual table, and I hoped he would do his routine today as well. And thanks, God. Kyungsoo really sat on a chair beside me (Although I was sure that the tiny man didn't even notice me here).

I giggled quietly. I didn't even know what made me so happy for doing something like this, but I was truly happy.

Then carefully I nudged his elbow and said, "Hi, Kyungsoo Hyung."

Here we go, the owl eyes widened in surprise. I wasn't sure what surprised him more; noticing me here sitting beside him or hearing me calling his name complete with the Hyung.

But, the man beside me didn't return my greeting (as expected), he only nodded his head as a respond. That didn't matter for me. At least, he didn't fully ignore me. That was an improvement for sure.

I smiled silently, watching the man beside me intently. This man looked like a little kid; his skin was pale and soft, his eyes were so round and big, his lips were thick and red, and his cheeks were chubby like pillow. I thought he would be younger than me, but yesterday I knew from Sehun that he was a year older than me. Wow, life was so unfair.

Kyungsoo was busy with his drawing again. I also knew from Sehun that Kyungsoo was indeed a painter before his parents sent him to this sanatorium. But unfortunately, Sehun didn't want to say the reason behind Kyungsoo's parents’ decision. Sehun said, I had to figure it out myself.

I sighed loudly enough to catch Kyungsoo's attention. I gasped, I didn't intent to disturb him. "Sorry," I weakly apologized.

And I was so thankful when Kyungsoo nodded and continued his activity. I then observed him silently again. I had to initiate a conversation. Now or never.

"Hyung, why did you draw yourself on the papers?"

My question reached his ears despite the noisy situation in the room. Chanyeol screamed loudly and Kris followed the lead. Those two giants screamed crazily without any reason. Typical crazy people.

"I only have myself."

The answer came out as a whisper. I barely caught that answer, but eventually I did. I heard that one precious sentence.

"What about your parents? Your sibling?" I tried to ask again carefully.

Kyungsoo ducked his hand low. His right hand clasped the pencil so tightly. "I only have myself," he repeated. Voice softer and less audible than before.

I felt sudden guilt inside my heart. I sensed something was not right in this tiny man's life, and it was related to his family.

Sehun yesterday told me that Kyungsoo had a complete family; he had a father, a mother, and also an older brother. Sehun also said that Kyungsoo came from a wealthy family. His dad was a successful business man, his mom was a senior chef in a famous restaurant, and his older brother was a surgeon. If he had a complete family, then why did he look so gloomy talking about them?

I sighed again. I knew I needed more than just one day to get closer with Kyungsoo, but at least I tried.

"Hey," I called him again, and thanks God, he turned his head to me. "I don't know why you keep saying that you only have yourself, but right now, at this hour, this minute, and this second, you are with me. Can you draw me too?"

Kyungsoo blinked his owl eyes but didn't give me any response. , I felt uneasy, and I felt worse when I saw Kyungsoo hurriedly collected his belongings, then stood up and walked away. Do Kyungsoo left me without any word, again.

Did I scare him?


It was Sunday. It had been two weeks for me in this asylum. On my normal Sunday, I would go out with my friends, playing around with them all day. But now I didn't care anymore. I wasn't even sure my friends would miss me even if I had 'gone' for two weeks.

In this asylum, Sunday was family visit day. Many patients had visitor on that day. Today was not an exception. Kris was visited by his mom today. His sweet mom came all the way from Canada to visit his precious son. Last week, I remembered that Kris' sister came to visit him. What a lucky bastard.

Jongdae was visited by his girlfriend today. Wow, another lucky bastard. His girlfriend must be so in love with him. She didn't leave his boyfriend even if his boyfriend was a patient in an asylum. Such a nice and caring girl. How lucky.

And then I saw Park Chanyeol, all alone sitting on the grass. Ah, I remembered this tall man didn't have any family left. I felt bad all of a sudden. We were same, man.

I decided to approach the giant, sitting right beside him. But, there was something weird. Park Chanyeol was so quiet and calm. So weird.

"Hi, Hyung," I greeted him carefully.

He turned his head to me and that wide smile made a comeback. The giant smiled so wide from ear to ear.

"Mom!"

Oh, so now I was a mother for Park Chanyeol. Nice.

The giant guy suddenly hugged me. "I thought you wouldn't come today," he whispered right beside my ear. , it tickled me.

But, you were lucky that I was not in bad mood today. I decided I would cheer you up today, Park Chanyeol. So, I hugged him back reluctantly. "I promised you that I would come, didn't I? You should have trusted me, Son."

Uh, there was something weird in my tongue. I was just too nice, wasn't I?

Chanyeol hummed calmly, still hugging me. "Mom," he called slowly, and I hummed back. "Please don't leave me. I feel so lonely lately. I never see you, dad, noona, grandpa, or grandma. Where were you? I missed you all."

I could feel the pain. Chanyeol lost them all in one day. I could understand his feeling. That must be so painful for him to bear. I hugged him tighter than before.

"Chanyeol, you should know that you are not alone. Even if mom, dad, your noona, grandpa, or grandma go, you still have friends, right? You are not alone."

"I don't have anyone, Mom. My friends left me alone. They didn't even come to visit me. I don't have any friend."

That was true. In two weeks I was here, I never saw a friend came to visit Chanyeol. He literally didn't have anyone.

"Chanyeol Hyung, this is Jongin. I didn't know you before, but I do care about you now. I wanna be your friend so you will not alone anymore. Do you think we can be friends, Hyung?"

No answer. I waited for a minute more but still no answer. Few minutes later, I realized that the Giant was sleeping soundly in my embrace, again.

I had no option. I pushed Chanyeol's body a bit harshly so the giant now sleeping on the grass. My harsh action didn't even disturb his sleep. I sighed and tried to enjoy the evening wind. It was cloudy evening and the wind was quiet strong. I was pretty sure it was gonna rain tonight.

Suddenly, something interesting caught my attention. Approximately ten meters from my position right now, Do Kyungsoo was walking together with a man that looked very similar to him. That man slightly taller than Kyungsoo and looked a bit older. Ah, that was his older brother.

I smiled a little. I was glad that there was a visitor for Kyungsoo. At least, that tiny man was not alone on this cloudy Sunday.


So, I was right. It was raining tonight. No, it was not just any ordinary rain. It was a storm, and the electricity out.

Two or three nurses guided all patients to gather in the playroom since that room was the biggest room in the building. They lit some candles in the room.

"So, everyone is here now? There's no one missing, right?" Doctor Kim Junmyeon asked softly.

The nurses started to count the patients one by one, and one of the nurses hesitantly said, "One patient is missing, Doctor. It's Do Kyungsoo from room 143."

What? Do Kyungsoo was missing? But, I saw him together with his brother this evening.

I checked the patients one by one, and finally I was sure that Do Kyungsoo was missing. No, the weather was not good right now. Where was that tiny boy? I started to feel worry.

"Please keep calm, everyone," Doctor Kim Junmyeon tried to calm the patients that started to scream and cry in fear. "Now, who is Do Kyungsoo's roommate?"

"It's Park Chanyeol, Doctor," a nurse answered.

They asked Park Chanyeol about Kyungsoo's whereabouts, but that giant just couldn't stop fidgeting and not giving any answer.

It was frustrating! I walked toward Chanyeol and grabbed his arms tightly. "Chanyeol Hyung, do you remember me?" I asked carefully. Chanyeol stared at me hesitantly, but then he nodded his head. "We were sitting together before you fell asleep this evening, and then fifteen minutes later you woke up and went back to your room. In your room, did you meet Do Kyungsoo?"

Chanyeol stayed silent for a moment before he shook his head. I couldn't hide my disappointment, but to my surprise, the giant spoke once again, "B-but, I saw him climbed up the back gate a-and then I couldn't see him a-anymore."

What the hell. I, without thinking anymore, snatched a flashlight from a nurse's hand and ran toward the back gate. I heard Doctor Kim Junmyeon shouted my name in the background, but I didn't care. I kept running until I was in the back gate.

The storm was no kidding. The rain was so heavy, the wind was so strong, and the thunder... BOOM! , it was so deafening. But I paid no attention and started to climb up the back gate. Thanks to my tall body, I easily climbed up and jumped on the other side of the gate.

I imagined the location behind the gate would be something like forest, but I was so thankful that my imagination didn't come true. This area more liked a normal residence, but it was quiet and there were not so many building there. In this stormy weather, of course the road and the residence would be so empty and quiet.

And I just realized that I was so stupid. I ran out without umbrella or raincoat. Now I was completely drenched. But I continued to look for Kyungsoo. Thanks, God. The flashlight still working properly despite it was soaked by water.

The buildings were dark and quiet. The electricity in this residence was also out. It was so difficult to find anyone in this condition.

But, I wasn't giving up and keep trying to find Kyungsoo. And when I directed my flashlight randomly to a closed shop, finally I found him. I hurriedly ran to him. He was crouching in front of the closed shop, hugging his own knees. I was relieved he found a shelter.

"Kyungsoo Hyung!" My voice startled him for real. His head turned to my direction so fast, and then his owl eyes widened. Surprised to see me here? Of course.

I crouched beside him and examined his condition. The rain and the wind were so heavy and strong, so Kyungsoo was drenched even if he was under a roof.

"You okay, Hyung? Why didn't you come back to the sanatorium? Why didn't you—"

BOOM!

, a deafening thunder once again struck the earth. I worriedly checked Kyungsoo's condition again. "Are you scared of thunder?"

It surprised me when I saw Kyungsoo shook his head. Oh, I thought he was scared of thunder, but I was relieved that he wasn't.

After checking Kyungsoo's condition, I checked our surrounding. This area was empty, we couldn't ask any help. And this storm wouldn't die anytime soon. That was for sure.

"I think we can't go back to the sanatorium tonight. We have to stay here until morning," I said carefully, my attention turned back to Kyungsoo. My heart hurt when I saw Kyungsoo's blank expression. This tiny man was not okay, not because of the storm, but because of other reason.

I decided to land my on the cold floor, then motioning Kyungsoo to do the same. I was happy when he followed my lead.

"I saw you walking with your brother this evening." My statement got Kyungsoo frowning his thick eyebrows. "Ah, he just looked like you so I assumed he's your brother."

Finally Kyungsoo nodded, but still didn't say anything.

"I was relieved that you got a visitor. At least you were not alone like Chanyeol Hyung. You know what? I had to pretend to be his mom to cheer him up."

I chuckled lightly, but I still got no response. I turned my head to Kyungsoo, but he just stared at front blankly without returning my gaze.

I sighed and carefully asked, "You didn't feel lonely, did you?"

It took a minute, then five minutes, and then eight minutes before Kyungsoo gave me a response. "I did feel lonely," he said weakly.

The response sounded so sad, but I was glad that he wanted to open up more about himself now.

"Why? Your brother came to visit you, though. Did you feel lonely after your brother leaving you here?"

Another minute without answer, but the next minute, the answer came, "My brother left me here forever and will never come back to me. That's why I feel lonely."

My eyes widened at that statement. I stared at Kyungsoo confusedly. What did he mean?

To be continued...