Part 6

Umbrella

Jieun kept sobbing until she fell asleep, the petite girl curled up the photo frame inside her hug. It was around midnight when she unintentionally opened her eyes upon hearing some loud voice, she heaved a deep painful sigh, trying so hard to get back to sleep but failed. Her parents fought again, she knew that her Dad had always been the one who started the fight. She grew hated her Dad day by day. Jieun could hear sound of smattering glass against the wall, skin-slapping on the cheek, painful shriek and her mom’s sobs. She just didn’t want to come out because she felt worn out; she was only there, staring at the ceiling with her watery eyes.

“Brother, can I just follow you there? I can no longer bear all of this.”

She remained the same after several hours before she heard the birds chirped. Jieun never go back to her sleep that night, she was busy spacing out. A light knock jolted her up; she hid inside her blanket and pretended to sleep. Her mom walked toward her carefully not to wake her daughter up, her warm palm reached for Jieun’s head. She her hair gently as holding back her tears.

“Jieun, wake up. You need to go to campus; Mom has cooked your favorite pancake and scramble egg.”

Jieun didn’t answer, she was afraid once she spoke, she would cry as loud as she could.

“Hurry, wake up. Mom will be waiting downstairs.”

Mrs. Lee planted a small peck on Jieun’s head before she walked away. Jieun’s Mom was quite altered, there was time that she wouldn’t respond at all just like last night but there was time that she acted like she was all fine just like this morning. It happened after her brother’s death and her father started to cheat. Jieun started to cry, she cried her lungs out, everything seemed suffocating for her even this morning but she needed to pretend. Done with her things, she went downstairs and found her Mom busy with her cooks, she gave her Mom a hug before ran to the table, Jieun acted as cheerful as she could. She ate her Mom’s cooks as holding her tears, she couldn’t cry now.

“Mom, I’m finished. I’ll go straight to campus because I’m late.” She rushed herself.

“Chanyeol picks you up right?” Her Mom asked her.

“No, Mom. Chanyeol has early class; I’ll just go and catch the bus. Bye, Mom!” She hurriedly ran.

“Alright.”

Jieun purposely excused herself because the longer she stayed, she might cry again, beside she needed to catch the early bus, thus she didn’t need to face the crowd. Chanyeol usually picked her up but he just couldn’t make it today, Jieun had already told her that she could go to campus by herself but the tall guy insisted. Her bus had arrived; she chose the back seat by the window, her most favorite spot. She could observe the world behind the window, she always thought. Busy with her own world, she didn’t realize that the seat beside her was already occupied now.

“Good morning, Jieun.” The guy beside her spoke.

Jieun jolted, her eyes blinked several times before she could respond.

“You?” Her eyes widen up, “H-how come you’re here? Since when?” She was all surprised.

Instead of answering, Baekhyun chuckled as handed her a chocolate bubble tea. Again, the petite girl blinked her eyes, she didn’t really understand how come this guy was suddenly beside her and of course the chocolate bubble tea.

“I promised you that last night, so, drink it.” He flashed a wide smile.

“You haven’t answered my question.” She frowned.

“Questions, you mean?” He chuckles again, “Yeah, it’s me,Baekhyun. I need to go to campus that’s why I’m here, in this bus and I have been here since ten minutes ago because you were busy staring outside the window. There I have answered your questions.” He nods.

“O-okay.” She awkwardly responded.

They kept quiet since then before Baekhyun blurted out.

“I didn’t put any poison there, so, you can drink it now.” He talked rather seriously.

Jieun chuckled, she only nodded and drank her chocolate bubble tea, it tasted as good as always, she wondered how came he even knew her favorite place to buy this.

“Baekhyun-ssi, can I ask you again?”

“Yeah?”

“How come you know that I like bubble tea and how did you find out the place that sell this bubble tea?”

“Those are questions.” He laughed, “I just happened to know it. I’m sorry if I act like a stalker or it might scare you but I just want to be your friend.”

“Why?”

“No particular reasons, I just want to be your friend and you somehow remind me of someone.”

“Your ex-girlfriend?” She blurted out.

He laughed a little bit too loud.

They talked naturally just like at the library that day, Baekhyun lied, he actually had been there before Jieun came, that girl didn’t even aware of his presence. Baekhyun purposely waiting for Jieun to give her a little treat, he promised the bubble tea at the library but he couldn’t even wait for it. Baekhyun was aware with Jieun’s swollen eyes, his heart hurt seeing her this morning. She must had been crying alone last night, Baekhyun sincerely wanted to protect Jieun more whenever he saw her fragile side, even she didn’t really show it. Jieun didn’t want to be seen as weak.