Part 1

Umbrella

Pit-a-pat

The sound of a light raindrop knocked the big window in front of her, it sounded like a thumping rhythm that she liked the most. That girl lifted her face from the book; she stared at the big window in front of her. A small smile could be seen on her tiny face, the rain sound gave her comfort. It resembled her favorite serenade, when the raindrop touched the ground as they made pit-a-pat pace. That girl kept daydreaming, leaving her book alone to enjoy the scenery in front of her, the raindrop gradually dripped from every side of the window, leaving vague trace as if they were showing their journey before went down and disappeared. Fifteen minutes passed, she got back to her book, and the atmosphere was too comfortable. Her beautiful eyes scanned the thick book carefully, her pretty tiny fingers moved to some lines as if they caressed her favorite words.

“Ji, it’s time to close the library.” Said the familiar figure beside her.

“Already?”

“I’m afraid yes.”

“Time flies whenever I read books and watch the rain.” She sighed rather deep.

“Yeah, you have been here since three hours ago though.”

“Really? I thought it was still an hour.”

“This girl.”

She chuckled upon hearing her friend who also worked as the library staff, Jieun had been a regular and very loyal member at this library. She would gladly come and spend her entire day to read books. Done with her things, she swung her legs toward the door. A heavy sigh could be heard, followed by a silent whine. She particularly liked rain, especially at night but she disliked it this time because she forgot to bring her umbrella, she was in a rush.

“It seems that I need to wait.” She scoffed softly.

That girl was standing in front of the library, arms reached for the empty air to feel the raindrops. Again, a sweet smile could be seen on her face, her smile could make someone head over heels for her in a snap. It was quite cold; she kept rubbing her palms and her arms. The raindrops wouldn’t seem to stop anytime soon, she heaved another sigh as a deep voice startled her.

“Here.” That figure handed her a grey umbrella.

She was too surprised and kept blinking her eyes in confusion. The figure in front of her could only smile before reaching her hand to hold the umbrella.

“Take this.”

He flashed a smile before covering his body with hoodie then run, protecting himself from the rain.

“Wait! I-“

“Tomorrow, before the library closed, bring that umbrella.”

As she wanted to reply, that figure was already running away. She was still dumbfounded; he shouldn’t had given his umbrella to her. The rain got heavier, she hurriedly open the umbrella and started to walk. She wondered who that man was. Her eyes could only catch the glimpse of his smile but not his face, he has a sweet smile though.

“Oh come on, control your brain Ji!” She scolded herself.

Once she got home, she ran to her room and plopped herself on the bed. It was 10 PM, she kept wondering about that man. Was he alright? Was he drenched? Who was he? A small sigh escaped from her lips.