Letter 2

I Could Never Stop Loving You

August 21

 

Our first school year together.

 

Well, we went to different schools, you high school and me college, but that doesn’t really matter. We still saw each other as much as if we did go to the same school. Despite this factor, I think the school year was as strain for us. Or, more-so me than you.

 

I’d always come to the icecream shop with a pile of books to study over and you’d always just sit and watch, interrupting me when I wasn’t giving you the amount of attention you wanted. Thinking back on it, I don’t think I studied all that much while we were together all those afternoons. I hate to admit it now but when you always asked if I had gotten done with all of my studying, I’d tell you yes, when in reality I wouldn’t get anything done. I was too busy ignoring the strings of text to stare at you or listen to you talk about your day.

 

But I’m pretty sure you already knew this.

 

I swear, every time we met I’d tell myself- “Kim Namjoon, we’re not going to neglect our responsibilities and we’re definitely not going to get caught up in talking with the cutest distraction that is Jeon Jungkook. We’re going to be the top ranking student we know we are and focus.”

 

Inevitably, this never worked out.

 

As soon as you’d come in wearing your usual pair of denim jeans and worn out sneakers, whatever t-shirt of the day thrown on and your hair tousled from the wind, I’d loose all focus. Especially when you’d sit with your cone of vanilla ice-cream and hit me with your usual “Hi Joonie, what’re you studying today?”

 

I swear I’d throw all common sense out the window and sputter over myself every time the endearing name left your mouth. I think you knew it too, because you’d smile wide, your teeth full on display. Your smile would grow impossibly wider whenever I’d blush right after and your hand would come up to your mouth to try and hide the giggle leaving your chapped lips.

 

To say I was whipped for you after months of this going on is an understatement.

 

I was utterly smitten with you by the time the end of the first semester of school was rolling around. At this point, I no longer bothered to get my books out or my notes full of impossible scratch to go over. We both knew I was never going to actually study while we were together, anyway.

 

It still melted my heart, though, every time you questioned the reason as to why I wasn’t studying. Of course, I lied, said I didn’t have any studying to do. You knew it was a lie but you went along with it all the same. You were still quick to ask about my classes though. You never said it, but I knew you were fascinated with what I was learning. For whatever reason you were bored with your own classes but loved hearing about mine. 

 

I wonder now if that was just a ploy to hear me talk consistently. You always said later on in our relationship how you loved to sit and listen to my voice, said you could listen to it all day if time allowed.

 

The same was for me, in all honesty. Our voices complimented each other well, your light and airy to my dark and deep. 

 

We fit together in more ways than one.

 

Love you always,

 

Namjoon