Letter 1

I Could Never Stop Loving You

May 11

The day we first met.

I don’t remember much from that day to be honest, Kook. The night before I had gotten completely wasted with Yoongi and Hoseok. (Still the wildest party I’ve ever been to, it was the .) It’s a wonder, though, that I even showed up for the graduation ceremony, much less attended school that morning to take the last final of my senior year. 

Even if I don’t remember much of the actual ceremony, I do remember when we met, but you already know the story obviously. 

Just think, if I had never come to school earlier than normal, and if you hadn’t been running behind that morning, we probably wouldn’t have even met.

Strange how life works like that.

It was probably the most cliche moment that ever could have happened but, knowing the two of us, I wouldn't have had it happen any other way. You were so adorable I swear when our eyes met my heart burst out of my chest and angels started singing. Might have also been the hangover messing with me but I highly doubt that was the case. 

I honestly thought I hurt you when we ran into each other. You practically were thrown on your and your books and papers went flying everywhere. Your eyes were HUGE when you looked up at me, it was so funny. And when our eyes met and I saw your teeth were poking out between your lips along with the innocent look on your face made me think I had messed up big time, running a freshman over on my last day of school.

Turns out you weren’t a freshman and you were just extremely shy and small for you age, who would have guessed? If anyone looked hard enough, they would have seen past your facade and saw how much of a clingy and annoying brat you were.

But that’s what I loved about you the most. What made you different from everyone else.

I remember thinking that I needed to do something to make up for running you over and making you late to class, and the first thing that came to my mind was the ice-cream shop near my house. I thought I was the biggest fool for thinking of that. I mean, no one ever went there and it was run down and kind of dirty, but then you smiled at me and my heart stopped for a solid minute while I processed what you had said. 

Your teeth were on full display when you laughed at my stuttering reply and I wondered what I had done in life to be able to witness such pure beauty. (I know it’s cheesy but you loved these sorts of things so I have to keep it up.)

I don’t think I had ever experienced that saying, you know, the one about the butterflies in your stomach, until we met. I still haven’t experienced anything quite like that moment. Even if I didn’t know what would happen after we went out for the makeup ice-cream outing, I knew I wouldn’t be able to forget the feeling I felt the entirety of that day.

I couldn’t even focus on my actual graduation, I was so enthralled with the idea of seeing you again. And when we went to order the ice-cream and you said you wanted plain vanilla, I knew I was going to be smitten with you whether I wanted to be or not. You were just so cute and pure, so untainted, and the complete opposite of me and my lifestyle.

I knew I wanted to keep seeing you over the summer and before I went off to college and we’d most likely part ways. My heart was going a mile a minute when I asked for your number, but it calmed the instant you flashed your wide smile and asked me to hold your ice-cream cone while you got your phone out. 

You had a drop of cream on the corner of your mouth, and the entire time we were talking and even when we were walking to the bus stop I wanted to just lean over and wipe it off with my thumb, but I knew that would have been overstepping my boundaries way too early in our relationship.

It’s funny how that ended up becoming a habit of yours.

It was one of the many things I came to love about you.

It’s one of the little things I think about everyday when you pop into my mind.

It’s getting late and I have to get up early tomorrow. I started a new job, working at the cafe near campus. I know you’re laughing at me right now. Me working at a dainty cafe? Highly unlikely I know. But I need the money and the labor isn’t too demanding. At least I get free coffee and pastries.

Love you always,

Namjoon.