stars | two

angel // markhyuck

  The mornings were Mark's favourite time of day. He got to watch the beautiful Sun paint the sky with bright yellows, dark oranges, and pale pinks as he opened his thin gray curtains. Mark had been infatuated with the outstanding colors of the morning ever since he could remember, he even tried to paint them once in Second grade. Nothing had been more admirable, not even the stars could grasp his attention like the Sun did.

  And the Sun was happy he could hold onto Mark's hand through the day until his eyes got heavy, a small yawn escaping his mouth each and every night right before the Sun let go of his hand and let his eyes close. The Sun had kissed skin, a wide, angelic smile that no other could mimick. His gaze held charm, loyalty, love; the only emotions the Sun could care to give. Mark didn't know if the Sun was entirely real, how could something so marvelous exist? It didn't take a genius to tell that Mark's first love had been the huge, yellow flare.

   Furthermore it didn't take a genius to tell that the aubade of golden rain had loved Mark just as much.

  Mark didn't exactly know that the Sun who loved him was a person, the Sun he loved was always quiet. It never talked to him when he talked to it. But the person who loved him answered him instead, every unanswered question had a long, love filled answer. The bleach blonde toddler soon grew into a young adult and stopped talking to the Sun, his friends told him it was weird to like something that he could never be with so much. Much to the Sun's dismay, he still talked to Mark, still held his hand, and whispered a "Good night" to him before his eyes closed.

  I noticed this morning that Mark looked out his window and up to the sky with wide eyes, his mouth opened for a split second before closing it again. The words he wanted to say were now just a forgotten thought as he grabbed the school uniform he hated, he personally thought the color was ugly. He set them on top of the toilet, setting a towel underneath the school attire, stripped himself and hopped into the shower. It didn't take long for the young adult to step out of the shower, grabbing the towel to dry his body as he swiped his hand over the fogged up mirror. Getting dressed quickly before styling his hair and grabbing his plain blue backpack, he was out the door; thankfully not missing the bus like the day before. As soon as Mark sat down, Jeno opened my door.

  "Uh, hey! Sorry for not coming before Jae woke up, I forgot. I hope you don't mind?"

  I waved him off, telling him I didn't mind while pouring him a cup of room temperature tea. Jeno goes on about how wonderful it must be to live on Earth, to interact with people different from you & breathe in the fresh air. 

  "Maybe one day, if I'm a good enough Angel, a Gaurdian from the Temple will grant my wish to walk on Earth for just one day. That'd be nice wouldn't it, Donghyuck?" He takes a sip of his more than likely cold tea, smiling into the cup.

  "I've never thought much about it," I'm gonna stop myself right there. I lied; I think about it all the time, every chance I get. "But I'm sure you'll get to someday. You take care of Jaemin so well, you're a really good Angel, Jen." 

  "You're a good Angel too, Hyuck. I know other Angels might not think so... But they never see how much you really care about Mark, do they?" Jeno sets his chin on an open palm, his elbow poking into his leg as he leans forward to get a smidge closer to me.

  A small chuckle that has little to no meaning behind it erupts from my throat, my shoulders bouncing a bit. "I do. I care about him so much. I just..." My sentence is cut off as I get distracted by the boy in an ugly colored uniform, his almost white hair sticking up in different directions from the wind this morning. I love the way it curls even if he hates it. The blond hair waves in the air as he hurriedly runs to his next class with Jaemin, the two friends laugh loudly once they finally reach the classroom door. Oh his laugh, it's so beautiful; I could listen to his laugh and watch the way Mark's face scrunched up all day. Nothing is better than when he's happy. Mark's happiness gives me all the more reason to love him every second of every hour of every day. 

  A harsh tug on my arm makes me nearly fall out of my chair. I look around to see the one and only Jeno standing not far from me, a small smile on his attractive features. It's not his usual smile that makes his eyes turn into small crescent shaped moons, the smile that makes any woman or man fall in love within a second. And then it hits me, Jeno Lee isn't smiling, he's smirking. And I do not like it.

  "What's that look for, you wet sock? Knock that smug look off your face, it's disgusting!" I stand on my feet, putting my weight on one foot and smack Jeno on the shoulder. 

  "You like him don't you?" 

  My pupils dilated, heart stopped beating, breathing faltered, all movements I had been making before have stopped. I'm completely still. 

  "What... What do you mean? Of course I like him, he's the person I'm supposed to look after! Why, uh, why would I not like him?" I scratch the back of my neck and look at Jeno's shoulders move up and down. That fool is laughing at me! 

  "I'll smack you again! Don't think I won't!"

  "Thats not what I meant Donghyuck," Jeno stands up, sets his hands on my shoulders and continues to speak, "You love him, and not the kind of love I know that you're going to protest with. Donghyuck, you want to be down there with him, am I wrong?"

  I don't look him in the eye, too nervous to even speak. That is until another knock is heard, my head snaps towards the door and move to open it.

  "Hope I wasn't interrupting anything, children. Just stopped by because I'm bored and Taeyong is being a brat."

  "No, we weren't doing anything important." Jeno frowns, his hands moving to his sides. "What did you want?"

  Kun chuckles and sits on the oddly comfortable wooden chair by my desk, "So mean to me... Anyway, I just wanted to spill some tea."

  "Spill what? You're not touching any of my tea, I like that stuff!" The angel in the lighter blue gown nods in agreement, crossing his arms.

  "Wha– no, no I heard Taeyong say that to one of his dorky friends, it means to um... Uh, hold on I know what it is–"

  "That's great and all, Kun, but why'd you come to me? Go bother Taeyeon."

  Jeno snorts, "Taeyeon would beat his if she saw him not sparing a glance at Taeyong, you know how strict she is about, "Jeno pauses for a split second before mimicking the female's voice terribly, "making sure your human lives the most beautiful life!" Kun and I chuckled, the male older by only twenty years bursting into a fit of laughter.

  "Kun, it's not that serious shut up." 

  Said male snorts one more time and sighs, "So, what have you guys been up to?"

  Jeno looks at me with squinted eyes and a smirk, quickly catching onto his backstabbing plan, I shake my head two seconds before he starts nodding his. The Chinese angel sits and watches, clearly confused.

  "Donghyuck lo– mph!" my hand flies over Jeno's mouth quicker than the speed of light, muffling his words of the dangerous truth. 

  "Clearly what you were doing was important."

  I glance at Kun, trying to ignore Jeno's tongue on the palm of my hand; which is harder than you think because saliva is a lot grosser than people make it out to be and his tongue feels weird. 

  "It wasn't important, he's just trying to spoil the end of a book for me," the soft gaze I gave Kun is now– dare I say– hellish when I look back at Jeno, "Isn't that right?"

  He hesitates to nod at first, but eventually puts his tongue back in his mouth and moves his air head up and down. I slowly take my hand away from his face, pleased when all he does is pout.

  "I'm pretty sure Jeno has never even picked up a book in his life, what book could he possibly try to ruin for you?"

  "Um... Gone With The Wind?" It sounded more like a question than I would have wanted it to, but being Kun he just nodded.

  Jeno looks down and through the clouds for a minute or two while Kun and I converse about whatever comes to mind, he's almost like a third wheel. His eyes turning into little crescents as he watches Jaemin struggle to take his uniform off after a long day of school. Jeno's eye smile is something that any angel would describe as– even though a lifetime in heaven is cliche enough– angelic. His eye smile starts to turn into a frown, his frown easily twisting into that of horror and surprise morphed into one. Jeno's mouth hangs open as he watches the boy on Earth put a new shirt on and flop on to his bed. 

  "Jeno? Hey, Jeno! Are you okay?" Kun shakes the younger boy's shoulders, trying to snap him out of the daze he's in. "I'm gonna take him to the Temple to see what's wrong, maybe the higher-ups know what's wrong."

  "Give me updates." As the two Angels walk out of my little studio room, I look down just as Jeno did; maybe Jaemin almost got injured severely and he was just shocked... What if Jeno saw something that was a clue to the of the world! I'm sure it wasn't that serious, he's a dramatic boy. Him and Jaemin both, they make such big deals out of everything from what I've heard about. If Jeno wasn't an angel I would've labeled them as soulmates, something along the lines of being soulmates at least. Jeno's tone of voice when he talks about Jaemin reminds me of how I speak of Mark– oh! Mark! I should check up on him.

  Mark is studying, for once, in his quiet room. His tongue is poking out of his mouth just a tiny bit and he scratches the back of his neck when one of his answers doesn't seem to make sense to him. What I would do to be able to see that up close, right next to him, to be able to see him face to face. I've been looking at the boy from above far too long, what did I do to deserve such punishment? To long after a human that probably doesn't even believe or know I exist is painful; I just want Mark to know that I'm watching over him. I want him to know that someone, something, loves him more than he could ever know. 

  It may sound creepy in some aspects to have a somewhat mythical creature crush on a human reincarnation for centuries, but blame it on Mark. He's the reason I feel this way! If it weren't for the way his whole face scrunched up when he laughs, or how he mixes his English with Korean when he's frustrated, the way he can cheer up anyone just from being in room, his admiration for music and singing, I would have never fell for Mark Lee.

  Suddenly there's a small, quiet knock and the door opening without me giving a response, but oh well.

 "Donghyuck?" My thoughts are interrupted by another angel, Wong Yukhei.