sun | preview

angel // markhyuck

  Angels may look young, but we've been here for quite some time. Especially the ones with wings, they've been here the longest and have everyone's respect dramatically thrown at them. But I've just learned that it's normal and you get used to it over time.

  Being an angel can be tiring. I mean, wouldn't you get bored of protecting the same reincarnation for centuries? I've been here ever since his actual, real life first breath. And he's technically been there for mine.  As soon as he was born, the first time, I was sprouted from the hands of God and was sent off to protect him forever. I had no wings, I had no Halo, and definitely had no experience. How you lived so long the first time, I have no clue.

  Everytime you died, you came back into this world with the same face and a different name. To be honest, I lost count of how many times the boy's blood stopped flowing and the beats of his heart came to a slow end after three. Other angels, old and new, considered me reckless for it, but sometimes I enjoyed watching you grow up over and over again. Your forty-third first breath happened nineteen years ago yesterday, I bet you didn't know that. Technically we're the same age, but your youth gets renewed; did you know that the longest you've ever lived was 101? I loved watching you figure what to do with your life as you got older, it definitely entertained me.

  "Donghyuck?" My thoughts are interrupted by another angel, Wong Yukhei. He's one that hasn't been around for long, maybe sixty-two years? I remember when I was that age, it was your very first life; you lived it so well. Thirteen years later you would've left that life to be born again, however. Did I ever tell you how good of a father he had been? An excellent grandfather as well.

  "Yes?" I almost forgot about the much younger angel waiting for my response.

  "You've been called down to the temple." My eyebrow lifts itself as I turn around to face the angel, my wings twitching from the cool breeze.

  "Oh? May I ask for what?" Yukhei rests his weight on his right leg and shifts his gaze down to his feet with a look in his eyes familiar to sadness, perhaps guilt.

  "God wants to assign you a new human."