moon | one

angel // markhyuck

  Being immortal is boring. I don't know where people get those measly ideas of living forever, I don't know why you'd want to. Living forever would mean you'd witness everyone you love and everyone around you perish. You'd be living in an eternal depression, a life that you wouldn't be able to fully live. It truly is boring after reading all the same books for years on end, since new ones are just copies of the originals with a longer name and ty punctuation. Speaking of reading the same book, here I am reading The Great Gatsby for the sixteenth time. Mid flip of the page, I feel a tap on my shoulder, which is a little disappointing since I was just getting to the same, old, now boring part that riles me up each time.

  "Yes?" I avert my eyes from the page finally, my darker than black eyes shifting to the newer Angel friend I made a year or two ago. "Oh, hello, Jeno. How are you?"

  "I'm good, I was just getting bored and wanted to bother you. Jaemin is taking a nap and he won't be up for another hour or so." I puppy-ear the page I'm on, although I've come to remember what page everything happens on, throwing it somewhere across the little room.

  "Mh, Mark is at the library being a nerd." My fist makes it's way underneath my chin to hold my head steady while I look down, down, down below the clouds and see what I like to call my Mortal Angel reading... Oh, The Great Gatsby. What a good book. 

  "Donghyuck, you were just read..." Jeno loses his train of thought mid sentence, scratching the back of his neck before continuing with a whole new sentence, "You confuse me sometimes, you know?"

  "Oh, Mark's friend showed up." I let out a small gasp that i didnt mean to make, "It's the one that I actually like! He's so snarky and sarcastic, we'd be great friends."

  "Who is it? Do you know who his Gaurdian is?"

  "I think it's uh, what's his name?" I question more to myself than Jeno. My finger almost snaps with how fast I point it at my friend, "Sicheng! Sicheng is his Gaurdian."

  "Ah, I like Sicheng. He takes real good care of that boy... Uh, Yuta is it?"

  I nod my head twice and return my focus to Mark and Yuta. Sometimes I wish I was down there with you. 

  "So, how have things with Jaemin been going? I saw him hanging out with Mark the other day, seems like they had fun."

  "Oh! I had fun that day, too! They aren't anywhere near done with that project, they keep blowing it up. But he's been doing great, thank you for asking." Jeno pauses for a quick second after he notices his quick ramble, "Ah, sorry. Anyway, how is Mark?"

  "Don't be sorry, we don't get to talk as often anymore. Mark is being a brat, by the way. He won't eat a proper meal and stays up late all the time. I try putting him to sleep but the brat just drinks another Mountain Dew." My bottom lip juts out, the two arms i have are crossing over each other against my chest while I complain to Jeno about Mark.

  "Mountain what?" Jeno tilts his head in pure bewilderment.

  "Does Jaemin not drink soda?" The Angel shakes his head with confused eyes, waiting for my explanation on what soda is. "Mountain Dew is soda. Soda is a carbonated drink with loads of sugar and fake flavors. No one consumes anything good for you anymore "

  "Well, Mountain Dude sounds gross. I'll stick to my nutrient-rich milk, thank you very much."

  "It's Dew not– nevermind, Jeno."

| | | | | |

  After Jaemin had been woken up by his upstairs neighbors stomping their way through their apartment, Jeno had bid his goodbye and promised to show up tomorrow morning before Jaemin got up for school. Jeno really could have stayed seeing as our assigned humans had met up only twenty minutes after the pink haired teenager was brought back to reality. 

  "Mark, you're gonna go bald stop bleaching your hair." I make a mental note to let the reckless boy, who has no care for his scalp, know to leave his head alone for awhile. 

  Watching Mark and his group of friends got boring as soon as they started talking about all of the classes they don't have together and what drama goes down when rhe other isn't there. It happens about eleven times a day. On the phone, in person, at school, to their parents, everywhere. So, I fell asleep. Reckless you could call it, but I've been awake for just about my whole immortality, I deserve a nap. 
  
  Others did not agree.

  "Lee Donghyuck, you get up his instant!" You're not being the Gaurdian you're supposed to be right now!" Is heard throughout the small room I've decided to hibernate in temporarily, my shoulder getting whacked with my own book.

  "If you have the audacity to smack me with The Great Gatsby, consider me not so great." I wave whoever is in the room off and pull the extremely white sheets over my head. (Only to have them be pulled off of me not even ten seconds later.)

  "Mark almost got hit by a car again, I had to make sure Yuta dragged him out of the street, again." 

  I chuckle nervously and force a little smile onto my face, "What? Again? Mark has always been a safe young man!" My name should just be Pinocchio at this point.

  "Don't even, Lee Donghyuck. What about that time when he got stabbed?"

  "Wrong place, wrong time. I told him to go the other way."

  "You're more like a demon, Lee–"

  "Okay, Dong Sicheng, no need to bring full names into this now."

  Sicheng grumbles and let's an inhumane noise escape his chapped lips, "You get on my nerves so gosh dang much!"

  "That's nice and all, but could you move? I have a person to look after."

  "Oh, so now you have time to watch him?!" Sicheng thrashes his arms in the air before grasping onto his hair and pulling, he's acting like a middle school girl and I can't help but let a pitiful chuckle out. 

  "Honey, you've been here too long."

| | | | | |

  The days been long. Mark woke up, skipped breakfast, had a lame excuse of a microwavable pouch of pizza rolls for lunch, did some homework, hung out with friends. He had a normal day. Oh! Can't forget about the time he almost died again, that sure would've wouldn't it? I shouldn't be so careless, but I love watching him grow up over and over and over again. It helps me fall in love with him for the millionth time; even if I've been here nowhere close to a million years. Mark is on my mind, just like all the other sleepless nights I've had, as I watch him drift off to sleep. He snuggles in the comforter for extra heat even when it's 72 degrees out on a summer night, now he's just asking for a heat , it's not my fault if he has one.

  "Knock knock?" My attention is directed at the person on the other side of my door, not caring for who it is I respond.

  "Who's there?" 

  "Your favorite Chinese pal."

  "Oh, it's not Sicheng, come on in!" As the door opens, a loud, adorable laugh is heard. The laugh belonging to no other than the great–
  
  "Kun! It's been some time." He nods along, humming to the music I have playing while going to sit on my red bean bag chair I begged Dong Sicheng to let me have. The song switches and Kun pouts, his humming of the previous song continuing. I replay the last song just for him and get a bright smile in return, 

  "Thanks. Yeah it's been awhile, but guess what!" 

  I put my thumb and index finger on my chin as I let out an obnoxious hum, "Hmm, I don't know. What is it?"

  "I got upgraded to the Temple!" All color is removed from my face but still make sure to have a smile on display. How didn't I notice the different color gown he's wearing? The blue gown I have been wearing since I gained my wings and halo, a very different hue from the stain free white garb the older Chinese male had been clad in since sometime yesterday, I guess.

  "Donghyuck, are you listening?" Kun rest his soft hand on my shoulder.

  "Uh, yeah! Yeah, sorry. I'm happy for you!"

  "Please, Hyuck, I know how much you want to work in the Temple. I'll be sure to put in a good word for you, yeah?"

  The laugh I throw up is loud enough for humans to hear, my hand making it's way to Kun's own shoulder and patting it twice,

  "Sure you will! Especially when Sicheng is there to help snitch on me," Kun chuckles at that true statement, Jeno, how do you like him? "Also, anyone in the Temple can see literally anything I do to alter Mark's life. There's no way I'm getting a good word in."

  "You'll get there soon, Donghyuck. I promise." 

  "Thanks, Kun. You have a good night, make sure to let Taeyong have a good one, too!"

  "I will definitely do that. You too, let Mark not die one of these years, yeah?"

  I push him out of the room to the outside world of clouds and random Angel Buildings, laughing out one last goodbye. I slide against the door, wincing when a feather from my wing gets stuck in a chip of wood and gets plucked off.

  "Ow..." I shrug it off, grabbing the white fringe and throwing it into the trash bin as of it didn't matter. To me it didn't. My eyes slowly start closing, sometime during my battle of staying awake and giving in on tiredness, I indeed feel asleep. 

  The morning will be fine. Tomorrow will be different, it'll be eventful. Mark will know what it feels like to live, I'll make sure of that.