Farewell

Trick or Treat

There were a lot of noises – voices talking, shouting and screaming; sirens were also blaring in the background.

She pried her eyes open and was greeted by the sight of a large crowd and a blazing orange light rising up to the night sky.

“Oh, you’re awake.”

She turned away from the fire and looked at the man who was approaching her; he was wearing a firefighter uniform, his oxygen mask dangling down one side of his soot-covered face and his lips pressed together in a grim smile.

“What…happened?” she croaked.

“The four of you were found unconscious in the hotel’s penthouse suite,” the man explained, nodding at the other three who were still asleep next to her. “Do you remember how you got there?”

She frowned.

The last thing she remembered was getting off the train and quarrelling with Hyejin in front of the station. After that…nothing.

“I-I’m sorry, sir,” she finally said, looking at the man with wide eyes. “I don’t…remember.”

“It’s okay,” he assured her. “You must have inhaled a lot of smoke and that’s why your memory is a bit fuzzy.” He paused and looked at her warily. “Do you remember your name, miss?”

“Wheein,” she replied, a relieved smile tugging at her lips. “My name is Wheein.”

He was also smiling with relief. “Well, Miss Wheein, it seems that you will be just fine,” he said. “An ambulance will be here soon to take you and your friends to the hospital.”

He gave her a curt nod before jogging away to join the other firefighters. Wheein looked up at the burning hotel and tugged the warm blanket around her even closer.

What exactly happened here? Why can’t I remember anything after leaving the station?

“Wheein…?”

Wheein tore her eyes away from the fire and smiled when she saw her best friend had awaken.

“You were right, Hyejinie,” she said, nodding at the scene in front of them. “Something bad happened and for some reason, I can’t remember what.”

Hyejin blinked and stared at the fire; it was slowly diminishing thanks to the quick effort of the firefighters. “I can’t remember anything either,” she whispered. “What happened after we left the train station?”

“No use trying to remember,” Wheein muttered, massaging her temple with one hand. “I get headaches when I tried.”

Just then, an ambulance arrived and they were quickly ushered into the back and they were driven away from the scene.

 

After going through numerous tests all day long, the doctors concluded that the four of them were uninjured, but somehow they were all suffering from a mild case of anemia.

“We need to monitor you for two more days,” the lead doctor said with a grim look on his face. “We need to get that blood count up before we release you.”

Without waiting for their responses, the doctors walked out of the room.

As soon as the door closed behind the doctors, Hyejin hopped out of her bed and dragged her IV stand across the room towards Yongsun’s bed. Yongsun smiled brightly when she saw Hyejin approaching and quickly made room for her. Hyejin climbed onto the bed without a word and embraced her tightly, as if they hadn’t seen each other in years.

Wheein shook her head, grateful that there were only four beds in the room and they didn’t have to worry about privacies. Then, she looked over at the bed across from her where her fiancée was currently sitting on; she had been silent ever since she woke up and it worried Wheein. Quietly, she approached the silver-haired, brooding woman and sat on the edge of her bed.

“What’s wrong, Byulie?” she asked, taking Byul’s hand in hers. “Other than your hair suddenly becoming long and turning silver…”

Byul’s mouth twitched and she lifted her gaze to meet Wheein’s. Suddenly, she remembered her nightmare and she became sullen again.

“Byulie, please talk to me,” Wheein pleaded softly.

“I dreamt that you died, Wheein-ah,” Byul whispered, her voice cracking with emotion. “It felt like time had stopped and I was forced to watch as the life slowly drained out of you…” Byul inhaled shakily and looked at Wheein with glimmering eyes, choking out the words, “I wanted to die when you died.”

Wheein quickly gathered Byul into her arms and held her as she broke down into tears; Byul hugged her tightly, almost crushing her, while her face buried deep in Wheein’s neck.

They stayed like that for a while until Byul finally calmed down. Then, Wheein gently pushed Byul away and cupped her face. She gently wiped away the remnants of Byul’s tears with the pad of her thumbs before speaking.

“Listen to me,” her voice was quiet yet firm, “that was just a nightmare. This,” she leaned in and captured Byul’s lips in a soft kiss before pulling away slightly, looking deep into Byul’s dark eyes, “is real. I am real and alive, Byulie.”

Byul let out a small whimper before crashing against Wheein’s; her kiss was urgent and desperate as if she was afraid she would forget her fiancée’s warmth and taste. Wheein kissed her back with the same urgency and desperation and pushed Byul back against the bed before climbing on top of her and sat on her stomach, without once breaking the kiss.

“Stop, stop, stop!”

Wheein and Byul looked up with dazed eyes. Hyejin was glowering at them from Yongsun’s bed across from them; Yongsun hid her face in the crook of her girlfriend’s neck, blushing to the tips of her ears.

“You’re not the only two people in this room, you know,” Hyejin grumbled. “How would you feel if Yong-ie and I start making out too?”

Wheein and Byul grimaced and quickly apologized. They settled for a few quick pecks before cuddling under the sheets. Soon, exhaustion washed over them and they slowly drifted off to sleep.

 

Wheein suddenly woke up in the middle of the night and saw four strangers standing at the foot of the bed.

“This is for you,” one of the strangers said, handing four pieces of paper to Wheein.

They were all wearing a mask, covering the bottom part of their faces; their voices were also unusually deeper. It was too dark in the room to make out their faces, but Wheein noticed that one of them had blonde hair.

Wheein slowly sat up and took the papers. “What are these?” she asked.

“We heard that you needed to stay for a few more days,” the blonde stranger answered.  “You must not have the time to book new plane tickets, so we took the liberty to do it for you.”

“Who are you people?” Wheein asked, narrowing her eyes suspiciously.

“We owned that hotel you were at. You can think of this as…compensation.”

Wheein studied the papers in her hands; they were indeed one-way tickets to Seoul. “Um, thank you,” she finally said. “For giving us these.”

“Farewell, Jung Wheein,” the blonde said. “Let us not meet again in this lifetime.”

With a curt nod of their heads, the four strangers left the room.

Wheein thought their parting words were quite rude, but who was she to correct the very people who handed her free tickets home?

“Angel…?”

Suddenly, Wheein felt a chill running down her spine. It was the endearing nickname Byul often called her with, so why did it felt wrong just now?

She shook the feeling away and turned to her sleepy fiancée. “Did I wake you?” she murmured, giving Byul’s puckered lips a quick peck. “I’m sorry if I did.”

“It’s okay,” Byul mumbled, pulling Wheein down to lay next to her. “Who were you talking to?”

“I don’t know,” Wheein answered. She placed the tickets on the nightstand before turning to face Byul and pecked her lips once more. “They said they’re the owners of that hotel and gave us free plane tickets as compensation.”

Byul frowned. “That sounds…suspicious.”

“It is, but I checked the tickets and they looked genuine enough.” Suddenly, Wheein let out a big yawn. “Let’s just be thankful that we can go straight home after all of this is over,” she mumbled, snuggling closer to Byul. “Maybe we can start planning that wedding we always dreamt of…”

“Are you sure?” Byul asked skeptically. “You’re going to be busy the moment we touch down…”

“Hey, I have at least one week before I have to start working for real,” Wheein countered with a pout.

“Anything you say, love,” Byul chuckled and pulled Wheein into her arms.

Wheein placed her head on her fiancée’s chest and closed her eyes, smiling blissfully as she let the steady beating of Byul’s heart lull her into a deep and peaceful slumber.

 

______________________________________________________

A/N: Hi, so this is the end. I know I have not answered a lot of questions about our vampire "friends", but this fic is not all about them. If you still want to know, comment below and I will answer you as best as I could.  =)

As always, thank you for reading until the end! ^^