Angel

Trick or Treat

A/N: Fair warning, I at naming my characters.. ^^;

______________________________________________________

Hyejin and Yongsun were reliable as always – they found the best place to dine; it was a little expensive for their collective tastes, but the food was exquisitely delicious.

However, they could not say the same about the dining experience – it wasn’t the service or the staffs, but it was their fellow diners that made it very uncomfortable. Very often, Wheein would catch people ogling and glaring in their direction; particularly at Byul and Hyejin, who were either completely oblivious or just plain ignoring them.

After dinner, the two couples decided to take a walk in a park nearby.

The park was quiet with the occasional appearance of small, furry animals who scurried away at the sight of them. Fortunately, there were lamp posts placed interchangeably on the left and right of the path that lead through the park. There were also benches placed in between the lamp posts, but the light from the lamp posts barely reached them; it was the perfect spot for couples to take refuge and delve into their desires.

It was exactly the scene that the four of them encountered as they ventured deeper into the park – they saw couples cuddling on the benches in the dim light; some young, some old and some were already dry-humping each other, and groaning without a care in the world.

But they all stopped when they saw Wheein, Byul, Hyejin and Yongsun. They let out a sound that was half-way between a squeal and a scream before running off in the opposite direction.

“Is my makeup that scary?” Hyejin asked, gingerly touching her frowning face. Her makeup was lighter than usual and she looked perfectly innocent despite giving off a fierce aura. “I thought I had toned it down a bit…”

“I don’t think it’s you, baby,” Yongsun said and planted a soft kiss on her girlfriend’s cheek. “They must think we’re our doppelgangers.”

Wheein suddenly felt a chill going down her spine and she hugged Byul’s arm tightly. “Byulie, I’m scared,” she whimpered. “There’s something weird about this place…”

“Let’s walk to the end, okay?” Byul murmured, eyes darting around nervously. “The hotel is just on the other side…”

With careful steps, the four trudged down the path until they saw the park’s gate. They grinned excitedly at each other and picked up their pace.

Suddenly, a gust of wind blew towards them and they let out a surprised squeal. They struggled against tousled hair and dried leaves that somehow found their way into their mouths. When they were finally composed, they found four women standing directly in their path towards the exit.

“It’s them,” Hyejin hissed, tugging at Wheein’s elbow. “I told you they had red eyes.”

“Hyejin-ah, remember when you said you had that bad feeling?” Wheein asked.

“Yeah?”

“I hate you for being right.”

The four strangers were just like Hyejin described – same height, same face and same body type, but their appearances were completely different. Their eyes were red and glowing in the dim light; their faces were also smeared with something that Wheein hoped was just paint.

Wheein stared at her doppelganger – her hair was shorter and yellow in colour; she wore a dark leather jacket sloppily over a black crop top, exposing pale shoulders and stomach, and her leather shorts hugged her thighs perfectly; she was also wearing a choker and matching leather bands on her wrists. Doppelganger Wheein stared back, taking in her appearance, and then smirked as if she found Wheein’s casual outfit amusing. Wheein felt her face warming up; if Byul wasn’t holding her hand tightly, she would have marched over to her red-eyed doppelganger and gave her a piece of her mind.

Byul’s doppelganger could be her twin – they were both wearing long jackets and long pants with a simple shirt to complete the look, except doppelganger Byul had long silver hair and her pants were made of leather. They both looked at each other with an identical scowl on their faces.

Doppelganger Hyejin had the same long hair Hyejin sported before she decided to remove her extensions, except her hair seemed to permanently cover half of her face while exposing one tanned shoulder; she was also wearing a leather one-piece that accentuated her curves. Hyejin stared enviously at her doppelganger who just smirked in response.

Yongsun’s doppelganger was the exact opposite of her – long auburn tresses, see-through blouse and tight leather skirt; Yongsun looked like a child compared to her with her orangey-pink hair, oversized shirt and skinny jeans. Her doppelganger gave Yongsun a once-over and chuckled condescendingly; Yongsun suddenly felt self-conscious and hid herself behind Hyejin.

“We cannot let you leave,” doppelganger Yongsun said, drawing out each word with her low and raspy voice. “Not after you chase away our dinner.”

“It’s not our fault,” Byul spoke despite her trembling voice. “If you were a little bit nicer to them, maybe they wouldn’t run at the sight of you, I mean, us.”

“That is why we approach them in the darkness,” doppelganger Byul hissed. “When they are the least suspecting...”

Doppelganger Hyejin gave a hard slap to the back of doppelganger Byul’s head. “Stop telling the humans our feeding habits,” she scolded her. Then, she sighed and looked at the humans with a glint in her eyes. “Now we have to kill them,” she growled, giving a glimpse of sharp canines.

Byul, Wheein, Hyejin and Yongsun let out a whimper and clung tightly to each other, eyes shut tight and silently praying that this was all just a nightmare and that they were actually still napping in their hotel rooms.

“There is no need.”

The trembling four slowly pried their eyes opened and their gazes fell on doppelganger Wheein who was now standing in front of the other three with a solemn look on her face.

“Our meal-”

“Their insolence-”

“But Angel-”

Doppelganger Wheein held up her hand and the others reluctantly clamped their mouths shut. Then, with red eyes still trained on the humans, she spoke.

“You are not from around here, are you?”

“N-No,” Wheein answered shakily. “W-We are from Korea.”

“Why did you tell her that?” Hyejin hissed, hitting Wheein repeatedly on the arm. “You’re supposed to be the scaredy-cat!”

Doppelganger Wheein chuckled. “It has been a while since I heard Korean being spoken here. Much has changed in the language it seems.”

Wheein frowned and slowly straightened up. “You…understand Korean?” she asked curiously.

“Why else do you think we have the same face? We probably share the same ancestors too…”

She didn’t know where she got the courage, but Wheein held out a hand to her doppelganger. “Wheein,” she said. “My name is Jung Wheein.”

Her doppelganger looked amusedly at her hand. “Angel is my name,” she drawled, taking Wheein’s warm hand in her cold ones.

“Are you going to k-kill us?” Byul asked as she approached Wheein and placed a hand on her shoulder. “Like what she,” she nodded at doppelganger Hyejin, “said?”

Angel looked over her shoulder and sighed. “It is the rules,” she looked back at Wheein and Byul, “but I will make an exception for you.” She paused and smiled impishly. “I have a feeling that we will meet again,” she murmured. “Perhaps then we can work out a deal.”

As soon as the words rolled out of , there was a puff of smoke and Angel transformed into a bat. The other three gave a parting death-glare before doing the same and the four bats flew off into the night.

Wheein, Byul, Hyejin and Yongsun found the sudden silence deafening as they stared up at the sky.

“That…was a dream, right?” Yongsun asked no one in particular.

“Her hand was cold,” Wheein murmured. “That was not a dream, unnie.”

“And she speaks Korean,” Byul muttered. “We can’t even bad-mouth them if we want to.”

“Our doppelgangers are vampires,” Hyejin said in awe. “And they are bad-asses.”

Wheein, Byul and Yongsun looked at Hyejin in disbelief and shook their heads – they had narrowly escaped death thanks to Angel’s sudden whim, but it might just be temporary.

“We need to leave as soon as we can,” Byul said as they resumed their march out of the park.

“Can we at least spend the night?” Wheein asked as she hugged Byul’s waist and nuzzled her neck, making it a little difficult to walk. “It would be a waste otherwise.”

“Okay, ange-love,” Byul said, feeling a little conflicted using that particular nickname now that she knew there was a vampire out there with Wheein’s face and was actually called Angel.

“Let’s just hope we don’t meet them again before checkout time,” Hyejin said carelessly as she pulled Yongsun in for a one-arm hug.

Wheein glared at her. “Ahn Hyejin, what did I say about saying things that could actually come true?!”

Hyejin quickly apologized and they peacefully walked the rest of the way to the hotel.