Tricksters

Trick or Treat

The moon was bright that night and it helped light the way as they walked down a quiet and dimly-lit alleyway. It was quite a long walk and Hyejin was having trouble walking straight; she was in heels and walking became a struggle with her limited vision.

She had been forced to put her extensions back on and styled her hair to mirror Reo’s one-eyed look. Fortunately, Hyejin wasn’t the only one to suffer a forced makeover; Byul had to wear extensions too and dye her hair silver, the same shade as her doppelganger, Tsuki. They were also wearing red contact lenses and false fangs to complete their vampire look – they look exactly like their doppelgangers at one glance.

Thankfully, they had the freedom to choose their clothes from Reo and Tsuki’s wardrobes – Hyejin had chosen a shoulder-less black dress that fit her like a dream; Byul had chosen a simple navy blue suit to go with a black shirt that fitted her like it was her own.

“You okay, babe?” Byul asked, tightening her hold on Hyejin’s arm.

“I’m shivering inside every time you call me that, unnie,” Hyejin grumbled, but still clung to Byul for dear life, “and it’s not the pleasant kind.”

 

“You two are to assume Reo and Tsuki’s identities,” Angel had said, pointing at Hyejin and Byul. “You must look exactly like them...even their tendency to cling and be affectionate to one other.”

 

Byul chuckled softly. “Bear with it,” she murmured. “We’re nearly there.”

The end of the alleyway opened up to a wide space where a single building stood in its center, surrounded by vehicles in all shapes and sizes. A dark red canopy stretched for a couple of feet from the entrance with a red carpet spread out vertically underneath it and a neon signboard flashing the words “Trick or Treat” standing proudly on its roof.

Byul let out a low whistle. “Seems like a full house,” she muttered, mentally comparing this European club to her own club back home. “I’m actually jealous.”

Hyejin hit her squarely on the chest with her free hand and almost stumbled as a result. Luckily, Byul had quick reflexes and caught her before they both fell flat on their faces.

“Don’t be jealous of a vampire club,” she hissed. “Who knows what they’re running in there...”

“Blood and , of course.”

Hyejin stared at her in disbelief. “How do you know that?”

“I’m just assuming based on Angel’s explanation,” Byul replied with a shrug.

 

“Reo and Tsuki are in charge of managing our club, ‘Trick or Treat’. They are also the reason vampire rumors sparked amongst the guests,” Angel had explained while scowling at said vampires. “Feeding while pleasuring them is all good and dandy until someone runs out screaming.”

Reo and Tsuki looked like kicked puppies as they cowered under Angel’s angry gaze. Angel looked away and continued.

“Such rumors are bad for business, but even worst when they attract hunters. They will try to infiltrate the club and get Reo and Tsuki alone before making their move. That is precisely the time to reveal to them that the rumors are just that. Rumors.”

 

They slowly moved towards the club’s entrance where a few people were being checked thoroughly by two very big men before being admitted; there were also a few who were tossed out of the club, looking dazed while walking unstably back to their vehicles.

“I’m scared, unnie,” Hyejin said, intertwining her hand with Byul’s and gripping it tight. “What if we fail?”

“We can’t,” Byul said firmly. “They have Wheein and Yongsun, remember?”

 

“We will keep these two,” Angel had gestured at Wheein and Yongsun who were being held by their necks by Reo and Tsuki, “as insurance and a motivational source, just in case you two decided to change your mind or worse, fail.”

 

They stopped just where the canopy ended and faced the two burly men with confident smiles plastered on their faces; inside, they were shaking with fear.

One look at them, however, the men quickly stepped aside; beads of sweat formed on their foreheads and the fats of their cheeks trembled slightly as they determinedly avoided making eye contact with them.

“This is actually kind of cool,” Hyejin murmured as they stepped under the canopy and walked along the red carpet towards the front door. “They got scared just by looking at us.”

“Don’t be too happy,” Byul said grimly. “It’s only because this is their club.”

They pushed open the door and were greeted by a man and a woman dressed in leather outfits with feathery masks covering their eyes and noses.

“Trick?” the man asked with a wide smile.

“Or Treat?” the woman asked with a devilish smile.

 

“If you are faced with the question, ‘Trick or Treat’, just flash this card,” Reo had instructed, handing over a black card with cursive writings in white. “Only the members of the club have it. Then, you will be brought to the Trick room where the members, also called Tricksters, are gathered. There is a balcony there where you can view the Treats, I mean, guests dancing below.”

“As the VIP members, we get to choose our Treats first,” Tsuki added. “Remember to choose the hunters and when everything’s ready, you will be ushered to the basement where your chosen Treats will be waiting.”

 

Byul fished out the black card and flashed it at the masked man and woman. They took one glance at it and the Trick man led them towards a door with the sign “Trick” above it.

As soon as they stepped through the door, Byul and Hyejin realized that they were the only ones who were not wearing masks; even the waiters serving the Tricksters were wearing them.

“No wonder those rumors started going around,” Hyejin grumbled as they made a beeline for the balcony, completely ignoring the glances thrown at them. “With these red eyes and fangs and them not bothering to wear masks like the others, how can the rumors not start?”

Byul patted her hand, hoping that it would calm the younger woman down. “Smile, babe,” she said through gritted teeth as curved into a stiff smile. “They’re watching us, remember?”

 

“We will be monitoring you from this device,” Angel had said. She produced a laptop with multiple screens displayed, showing empty interiors of the club and the rooms within. “Human technologies are really useful in these times,” she said with a smirk.

 

Hyejin grunted and leaned her head on Byul’s shoulder to demonstrate the “clinginess” Angel had demanded from them. She spotted the camera hanging from the corner ceiling and subtly flashed a finger at it before they stepped out onto the balcony. Byul noticed and bit back a grin, shaking her head in disbelief at the younger woman’s bold action.

They looked down at the dance floor below where people from all walks of life were dancing freely and sensually to the upbeat music.

Byul thought the two floors had contrasting atmospheres – the Trick room felt like a gathering of wealthy people, hiding their twisted desires behind fancy masks; the dance floor felt like a whole different world, filled with youthful and vibrant energy with no ulterior motives other than to have fun.

“I’m not jealous anymore,” Byul murmured into Hyejin’s ear as she hugged her waist from behind and pulled the younger woman close to her, resting her chin on her bare shoulder. “This place reeks of corrupted desires and I feel sorry for the people down there who don’t even know what they’ve walked into.”

“Yes, your club is so much better, unnie,” Hyejin said, sighing as she leaned into Byul’s arms. “Your thing still grate my nerves, but at least you don’t take advantage of people. Not anymore.”

Byul hummed her response. Her eyes wandered around the dance floor until she spotted two figures who had been constantly looking up in their direction. It almost made her smile at how hard the two hunters were trying to get their attention; even resorting to grinding and bumping bodies with complete strangers.

“I see them,” she whispered. “They’re being so obvious, it’s pretty hard to ignore.”

“Why are they making this so easy?” Hyejin sighed. “Are they even professionals?”

Byul chuckled in response before calling over one of the masked waiters. Then, she pointed out the two hunters and the waiter nodded curtly before heading out of the room.

Fifteen minutes later, the waiter re-appeared and ushered them towards an elevator hidden at the back of the room.

Byul grasped Hyejin’s hand and murmured, “Ready?”

“No, but we’ve got no choice,” Hyejin grumbled. She took a deep breath and put on her fiercest expression. “Let’s do this.”

Hand in hand, they stepped into the elevator and silently prayed that Angel’s stupid plan would work flawlessly.