Mistake

Trick or Treat

It was a mistake on their part.

They should have checked out as soon as they came back from that nightmarish encounter; they should have done it as soon as they woke up too, but they didn’t want to waste the free breakfast.

“We’re already leaving a day early,” Wheein had argued. “Why don’t we enjoy the free breakfast before we go?”

They didn’t think, even for one second, that they would be meeting their doppelgangers again.

As soon as they stepped into the hotel’s small café, their eyes were drawn to a corner table where four familiar faces sat with four steaming mugs in front of them. There were no other customers; there were no sign of the employees either.

“Did you eat all the staff here?” Hyejin asked jokingly, but the tremble in her voice betrayed her nervousness.

Angel let out a soft chuckle.

Her eyes were no longer red (the same goes for the other three), but a beautiful dark brown; it made her look even more like Wheein. They also appeared more demure compared to last night; in one glance, they could almost be mistaken as humans. Almost.

“They are here,” she gestured towards the counter where two heads were nervously peeking up from, “and very much alive.”

“You drink coffee?” Byul inquired. She intertwined her hand with Wheein’s and they slowly ventured into the café. “Do vampires eat human food?”

“We do not. These,” she gestured at the mugs, “are for you.”

“That’s very nice of you,” Yongsun commented, smiling slightly as she dragged Hyejin inside. “Does this mean we can be friends?”

“Babe, don’t put things into their heads,” Hyejin hissed, pulling her girlfriend closer to her. “Do you want them to come visit us and then everyone’s blood?”

Yongsun bit her tongue and quickly muttered an apology.

“You’re here about that deal, right?” Wheein asked curtly.

“Please, take a seat first,” Angel said and the four of them rose to give way to the humans. When none of them make a move, her eyes flashed red and her voice became low, a growl escaping from deep inside . “I insist.”

Four yelps were heard and the four humans scrambled to sit in the four empty chairs, facing four mugs of semi-cold coffee. They could each feel a sinister presence standing behind them until Angel made the move to take another four chairs and the vampires sat in a semi-circle next to their table.

“Now, about that deal,” Angel drawled, arms and legs crossed as she leaned back into her seat. “We want you to help us get rid of some pesky hunters.”

Hyejin almost choked on her coffee. “Hunters?” she repeated in an incredulous tone. “You want us to fight?”

“Why us?" Yongsun chimed in. “You’re the ones with supernatural powers…”

“There will be no fighting involved,” Angel assured them. “We are too old and too tired for that. We will adopt a peaceful approach this time.”

Doppelganger Yongsun slid forward two pictures – one of a man and one of a woman. “These are the two that we have identified,” she said. “If we can convince them that there are no vampires in Braşov, they will leave and never come back.”

“How do you plan on doing that?” Byul asked, already relaxing after getting her dose of coffee.

“We convince them that we are humans.”

Wheein raised an eyebrow. “But you’re not humans,” she said flatly.

Angel sighed. “We originally had a plan, but we realized that it is pointless to fool the hunters with padded jackets, gloves, masks and sunglasses, especially on a hot summer’s day.” She paused and looked pointedly at the four humans, a smile finding its way onto her face. “We were minding our own business, trying to relieve our stress, when we met you.”

Byul took a long sip of the coffee and sighed. “You want us to pretend to be you,” she said quietly.

Angel’s smile turned into a full-blown, gum-showing grin; Byul had to remind herself that she was Wheein’s doppelganger and a vampire, not her actual fiancée.

“You are very sharp, human,” the blonde vampire drawled. “Yes, we want you to assume our identities and fool those hunters until they go away.”

“How long do we have to do this?” Wheein asked.

“Just for today. You have to be very certain that the hunters are convinced or-”

“Or what?” Hyejin asked with a smirk. “You’ll die?”

No,” doppelganger Hyejin snarled. “They will die and we will come for you next.”

“Stop it, Reo,” Angel barked. “You are not helping matters by spouting threats at them.” She paused and turned her gaze towards the humans. “Unfortunately, she is right. If the hunters remain suspicious, we will be forced to kill them and flee. We could take refuge in Korea,” curved into a sinister smile, “but that is not what you want, is it?”

“We’ll do it,” Byul said firmly. She didn’t like the idea of helping the vampires, but she liked the idea of vampires in Korea even less. “So, how do you want to do this?”

Angel uncrossed her arms and legs and leaned forward, a solemn look on her face. “This is the plan…”