Mr. Kim

Rescued beauty
Chapter 4
Mr. Kim
 

In the distance Jin could hear faint ticks. They were made by a college student who was hurriedly preparing his homework for his next classes. Jin was in an almost empty cafe, and the noise irritated him. He was about to call Sowon’s father. A phone call he dreaded. For some reason, Sowon’s father was never fond of Jin. He did treat the young man properly, but that was only for the sake of his daughter’s happiness. He never talked fondly about Jin, or even casually talked to him. That cold, almost non-existent relationship made Jin anxious for the phone call. The ticking, only made it harder for him to calm down.

 

He took a sip from his green tea and straightened his back. He started doing some breathing exercises he had learned in college. At first, it was to calm him down before presentations, but it was so effective that he started doing them before any big event that made him nervous. After a couple of those deep breaths, he found himself calmed. Still stressed! But he was ready to go.

 

He took his phone and dialed the number his secretary had sent him this morning. As he waited, he played with the pointy edges of the napkin that laid besides his tea. The image of Sowon’s chaotic appearance lingered on his mind. Jin wanted to call the police, but yoongi discouraged him from doing so. According to Yoongi, Sowon wouldn’t have gone with the girl if she did not want to.

 

“Hello?” An elderly voice was heard. His voice did not change much. It was slightly hoarser  and weary, but Jin could still recognize it. He raised Sowon on his own after his wife died, a year after Sowon was born. Jin respected him for that, and in his opinion, Mr kim raised Sowon into a confident, smart and strong young woman.

 

“Hello Mr. Kim, you’re speaking with Kim Seok-jin. I hope you still remember me.”

 

There was a short silence, and Jin wondered if Mr Kim would hang up.

 

“Goodness Jin! How are you?”

 

A relieved smile spread across Jin’s face. “I’m fine Mr.Kim, how are you? I hope you don’t mind me calling, but-”

 

“No, not at all! Jin I’m so happy to hear your voice. I’m currently enjoying my retirement, so I’m okay. What are you doing these days? Are you already married?”

 

There was a sudden cheerfulness in his voice. It surprised Jin, because in the seven years that he was with Sowon, Mr Kim had only talked to him in a cold tone.

 

“Yes, I’m still working at Hankook P&G. I’m a few positions higher now… currently I’m single.” Jin said.

 

Yesterday, Irene left the apartment, and they haven’t talked since. His feelings were complicated. Every time he thinks of Irene, there’s a pain in his chest.Yet at the same time, his mind was too occupied with Sowon.

 

“I’m happy that you’re doing well… about Sowon. I am so sorry it ended the way it did. I’m really sorry.”

 

Before Jin talked, there was a quiet moment where both men did not know what to say to each other. There was this quiet understanding that they were not on the same side. Because No matter how bad Mr Kim feels for Jin, Sowon will always be his little girl.

 

“It’s okay Mr Kim… If Sowon did not love me anymore, than it was better to break up. It was her decision and I need accept that.”

 

“You’re a good guy Jin. She was lucky to have you. I’m sorry for the way I treated you back than.” Mr Kim said. To Jin, Mr kim’s nice words came unexpected. He was sure that his relationship with Mr Kim would never become better. Especially when Jin asked him for Sowon’s hand in marriage. The older man couldn’t even look him in the eye when he gave his blessings. Things must have changed in these past four years.

 

“How are things going with Sowon?”

 

“She’s fine.” Mr Kim quickly replied.

 

“That’s great to hear” Jin hesitated for a moment “This is none of my business, but I saw her the other day and she didn’t look well. I’m worried about her.”

 

“What do you mean?” Mr Kim asked and all cheerfulness left his voice.

 

“She was at a convenience store in Cheongdam- Dong. Her hair was untidy and her makeup smudged. She cried when she saw me and I believe that she already cried before she came into the store. There was also a red haired girl that she left with. The girl seemed to have some kind of control over her.”

 

“Oh my gosh Jin. When did this happen?” Mr Kim asked and his voice was shaking.

 

“The night before yesterday. It was around half past 10.”

 

Jin could hear something fall on the other side of the call. “Mr kim?” he called out in worry.

 

“Jin, I need to go. Goodbye” Mr kim cried.

 

“No Mr Kim wait.” Jin called out and he stood up from his seat. It was something he did when he gets excited, worry or angry in a business call. “We need to call the police if Sowon is in danger.”


 

“No, Don’t call the cops! Promise me that Jin.” The old man begged and Jin could clearly hear him cry.

 

Mr kim hung up and Jin looked at his phone in disbelieve. He could not comprehend why Sowon’s father did not want to get the police involved. It unsettled him and he feared that Sowon was in much bigger trouble than he initially thought she was.

 
AUTHOR'S NOTE:

Hey there! Thank for reading up to chapter 4. From now on the titles will just be the chapter number. I had a hard time coming up with chapter titles. So I decided to go with the chapter numbers. Hope you had fun reading <3 don't forget to subcribe when you want to follow this story.