Chapter 5

Come and Dream a Dream

She spent ages searching for the heavenly being until she was absolutely exhausted. Unable to move even one step further, she sank against the trunk of a tall tree, to rest for a while. From her spot, she could hear some really eerie noises. They were like nothing she had ever heard before. The sounds filled her with body numbing fear. Once more, the silvery moon hid behind the dark clouds and her vision was lost. She gripped the grass under her, and pressed her back harder against the tree trunk as she heard something that sounded unmistakably like a laugh. The laugh was soft but powerful, and filled with utter mirth. It sent chills down her spine. Spotting a fallen tree branch near her, she grabbed it and threw it in the general direction from where the noises could be heard. Almost immediately, she could see a dark cloud swarming towards her. The forest echoed with the squeaky cries of the bloodthirsty bats that encircled her. Too stunned to even scream, all she could do was crouch as low as she could and cover her head, hoping that they’d leave her alone. She felt their sharp nails graze her soft flesh. Her arms, legs, and face. Nothing was spared from their unholy touch. She could hear the twigs crackling as someone walked towards her. Was it her savior again? She heaved a sigh of relief and with a smile, stopped panicking as she saw the horde of bats disappearing quickly. How wrong she was. The being in front of her was pale, almost like a marble statue, and wearing a long cape. His hair, however, was two toned with some blonde among the dark hue. The contrast between ancient and modern was quite remarkable and distinct. She looked into those dark, almost black eyes, which seemed to draw her towards him. Before she could say anything, or move, she heard a voice in her head. It was his. “You’re bleeding. I can’t resist this”, he said. Rooted to the spot, she couldn’t even move, no matter how hard she tried. It felt as if her feet were nailed to the ground. The being touched her face, with his cold hands, yet she was unable to flinch, no matter how hard she tried to move. Her mind was filled with his voice, whispering to her, with a voice so warm, it seemed like honey. She couldn’t even think, without him knowing her thoughts. She knew she had to resist him, but she couldn’t. He grabbed her, raking her skin with his sharp nails, as he held her by the neck, slowly choking her, to hear the sound of her heart beating faster in fear. When he grinned in pleasure, she could see the elongated tips of his fangs. A vampire. That was what he was. A creature from her worst nightmare. “Scream as much as you want, no one can hear you here”, he said as she started begging for mercy. All of a sudden, she gained control of her body, just for a few minutes. Gasping for breath, she sank to her knees, as he laughed evilly as grabbed her again. With the power of hypnosis, he was able to force her to do whatever he wanted. She then knew that she was definitely going to die here, at the hands of this monster.

 

As she felt her whole body tremble in uncontrollable fear, the surroundings became really bright, as though the midday sun had appeared. Squinting against the light, she struggled to see what had happened, as she heard the vampire let out a hiss of anger. It was him. He who possessed the power of light. Had he come to rescue or devour her? All she could do was tremble in fear and hope for the best. A slight smile curved on his luminous face as he gazed upon her and the monster that had her in his grip. The vampire released his hold when the being walked close to him. At that moment, she felt hope. She was going to be free. Free from what seemed to be an eternal nightmare. She knew the being would help her escape, yet again. Inwardly rejoicing, she took a step towards the being of the light and extended her arm to touch him. She felt a sharp pain as his hand grasped hers, and she could feel her energy and strength drain rapidly. With a gasp, she raised her eyes to question him, when she saw the vampire approach her again, grinning widely. This wasn't supposed to happen. The heavenly being was her protector. Was he only saving her for himself? If only she had sensed this sooner. With her hands clasped together, she dropped to her knees, pleading with him to let her live. “Please don’t do this. Please let me go. I’ll do anything”, she begged. “Anything?” asked the being of the light with a smirk, as he traced the outline of her face. Once more, she could hear the vampire’s whispers in her head “It will soon be over. Have you figured it out yet?” She bit back tears as the pain struck, yet again. Why was he doing this? The vampire reached out to the luminous being and smiled broadly. She waited for him to feel the same pain that she did, but there was no reaction at all. Her voice of reason was screaming warnings in her head. Finally, she understood it all. They were a team. Light and night. A fearsome duo that manipulated their victim’s emotions before they killed them. She felt the vampire holding her shoulders in a vice-like grip. It was soon going to end, but she still felt a shimmer of hope within her. "Please save me", she pleaded to the being of the light, as the creature of the night plunged his fangs deep into , and she felt a sharp pain before her thoughts faded into oblivion.