Chapter 4

Come and Dream a Dream

She was terrified. In her current state, it seemed like she was certainly going to die in the forest. Now that the moon had disappeared behind the clouds again, she couldn’t see a thing in front of her. If only she had a light, or some matches, or anything that would help. Cursing her luck for not having anything of value with her, she stumbled around trying to make it to safety. All of a sudden, it seemed as if the entire forest was flooded in light. Although more than light, it was the heat that seemed envelop her body. Where was it coming from? Her eyes started burning and watering, as they usually do when they come in contact with smoke. There was no way there could be a fire in this forest, as she seemed to be the only inhabitant there. That is, the only human inhabitant. She needed to know what was going on, so overcome with curiosity; she followed the smell of smoke to find the source of this level of heat. Her eyes kept hurting as she walked, as it had started getting way too hot. Along the path, she could see burnt leaves that crackled as she stepped on them. Disturbed by the sudden noise, a crowd of bats flapped their wings and shrieked as they left their tree and flew towards silence. Peace. That was something that the forest had, before her intrusion. She followed the trail of scorched leaves and singed bushes until she spotted a figure walking in front of her. With flames the bottom of his feet, he was a rather formidable sight to behold, even from the back. She watched him silently, too afraid to even let out her breath, as he emitted a ball of flame from his slender fingers with a flick of his wrist and set fire to a nearby bush. Almost as if he could sense her company, he spun around rapidly with a ball of flame ready in his hand. His eyes blazed red with heat as he hurled the ball of glowing flames at her. She dropped to the ground, to dodge the flames, and found herself drenched in sweat. From her place on the ground, she looked up at him. In fact, he was brilliant to look at. He was tall with an athletic build, and his dark hair had red streaks in them. He had an authoritative, cold face and was clothed in a black and crimson robe, which seemed to reveal his power. The raw energy he possessed was enough to send her into a frenzy. It seemed impossible that those cold eyes of his would turn into flame, but that was exactly what had happened. When he gazed at her, she felt her body heat rising. How was he doing this? She started to feel a burning sensation as he walked closer and closer to her. His proximity was actually causing all of her insides to heat up. When it had started getting too hot for her to handle, he reached over and touched her wrist, and held it. She watched in silent horror as red welts started to appear where he had touched her. With great difficulty, she yanked her hand back from him with a shout. "Scream. Don't stop", he said as he watched her squirm in pain. He was a vicious sadist who seemed to crave her screams of pain and horror. Just as she was about to lose all hope, there he was! The majestic prince of light. The fire fairy seemed to shrink in size when confronted by the giant beam of light that hurtled his way. With a cry of distress, he moved back into the darkness of the forest, where he had come from. Almost as quick as lightning, the handsome savior disappeared from her view. She never even got to convey her thanks. No matter how hard she searched, she just couldn't find him at all.