Chapter 2

Come and Dream a Dream

She stopped to catch her breath and saw that the clouds had moved aside to reveal a blood red moon. There was certainly something wrong, as the moon wasn’t supposed to be red in color. With the faint light radiating from the moon, she was able to notice that half of her shadow was missing. Her breath came out in heavy gasps as she tried to compose herself. What had the shadow creature done to her? Why did she suddenly feel strangely empty inside? Up ahead was light so bright that her eyes hurt to directly look at it. Seeking new comfort, she walked towards it to find that she was sorely mistaken. The source of the light was a person, who just seemed to radiate the brightness. The complete opposite of the creature she had encountered just a while ago. His hair was the same honey blonde as the shadow being, but that was where the similarity ended. With eyes like pools of liquid gold that showcased his intelligence, and skin that was fair but not pale, he was extremely attractive. He seemed gentle and not sinister. His brightness seemed to diminish and she reached over to touch him, without stopping to think of the consequences. He smiled sadly as her fingers passed through his face. Her heart hurt a little as she saw a solitary tear run down his cheek, and she could almost sense his loneliness at that moment. He sat down on a tree stump nearby with his head in his hands, as a man possessed. All of a sudden, he looked at her with pure, unadulterated hatred in his eyes. Stunned, she looked to the ground before raising her eyes shyly to look at him. His face was so pleasant that it made her wonder if she had imagined his hatred of her. His very presence seemed to illuminate the area. Was he an angel? He beckoned to her and started walking as if he wished to be followed. Afraid to lose her only source of light in the terrifying forest, she raced after him. Though he was barely a few steps ahead of her, she could see his light visibly diminishing. He slowed down until she was right by his side and stretched out his hand to touch her arm. The frustration on his face was visible as he failed to make contact. Hearing a slight rustling sound, he pounced on a rabbit with the speed of light and devoured it in one bite. He then became brighter and she realized with horror that his light increased each time he’d fed. He stared at her hungrily, and this time, his desire for her flesh was clear. Although she could feel his open hostility, he didn’t make a move towards her. Although her mind was screaming warnings at her, she trusted him and continued to walk beside him. A while later, his light began to reduce again. It was time for him to feed. Out of the corner of her eye, she noticed him glance her way and his lips hungrily. She felt her hair stand on end as he turned to survey her, and although she needed his light, she decided to trust her instincts. His face grew sad as she saw the sudden determination on her face. She was not going to be an easy meal for him. “Help me”, he mouthed, with his light fading and tears sliding down his face. At that moment, in his vulnerability, he seemed like a little boy that she wanted to protect. Though she felt her heart hurt to leave him, she ran for her life towards the darkness in the opposite direction.