Chapter 3

Come and Dream a Dream

She was beginning to feel exhausted. Her legs refused to carry her any further. She tried to comfort herself with the fact that everything would be back to normal, and she’d be safe once the day broke. Little did she know how wrong she was. Spotting a bush nearby, she lay down covered by the foliage. For the first time, she felt safe and protected. All she needed to do was rest for a few hours, and it would be daybreak. She had rested for barely five minutes when she heard something very familiar in the distance. The sound of water flowing. There was bound to be a little brook or a stream where she could refresh herself. She half dragged her feet towards the source of the sound, and came face to face with a stream. She collapsed from exhaustion and stirred an hour later when she heard something. Surely, she had to be mistaken. She could hear someone calling her name! With difficulty, she opened her tired eyes to find a heavenly prince staring at her intently. With his sapphire blue eyes and elfin features, he was easily the best looking guy she had ever seen. As he raised his hand, she felt a gentle mist touch her face. He seemed to have a strange power. The power to control air. She heaved a sigh of relief as he seemed harmless. His power only made her feel refreshed and happy. He walked into the stream and she noticed the ripples moving faster and faster as they turned into a wave. He stood on the wave and spun around elegantly like a ballerina. She watched with bated breath as he performed an intricate dance in the water, before stopping to gauge her reaction. She smiled as he moved to sit on top of a nearby rock, and motioned for her to join him. She sat down beside him, giggling as the ripples tickled her feet. She was extremely aware of his interest in her. The way he kept staring at her made her blush furiously. As he stretched, she couldn’t help but stare at his muscles. He walked into the water, and after a moments’ hesitation, so did she. Gripping his outstretched hand, she followed him till she was shoulder deep in the water. He brought his face close to hers for a kiss. Her heart started to race as she felt the gentle pressure of his soft lips upon hers. Without warning, he brought his hand against her neck and increased his pressure. She pulled away, startled and finally noticed the wide smile on his face. A wave rose as he raised his hand. She was so wrong. He controlled water, not the air. She gasped as she felt the wave hit her right in her face. He was going to drown her! Coughing and spluttering, she struggled to stay afloat, as he started pressing her face into the stream. The water started flowing into and she thought that her end had come. Praying for a miracle, she started struggling against his strong grip at the back of her neck. Breaking free, she placed her hands against his chest and shoved him with all her strength. He laughed cruelly at her feeble attempt, which scared her even more. She gasped as she was wrenched from his grasp by a pair of strong arms. Suppressing a gasp, she looked around at her savior. It was him. The being of the light. He had appeared like a guardian angel of sorts. His whole body glowed with strength as he took on the water sprite. Although he wasn’t much of a match, he used his light to dazzle the water sprite momentarily as a huge wave crashed over him. With her heart in , she waded to the shore where she would be safer. Turning around, she found only silence. Neither her tormentor nor her savior was present. Shaken by her experience and with tears of relief b in her eyes, she retraced her steps to find her way out.