Chapter 9

Flu-shot the world down dead

They drove for about an hour until they came to a remote park area. There were picnic tables spread apart and a trail that seemed to lead into the woods. Chanyeol drove to the edge of the woods and parked there, Sehun close behind him. 

Chanyeol turned to smile at Matt then quietly asked her to wait in the car with the kids til he and Sehun had checked to make sure the area was safe.

Once the two men had deemed the area safe, the party of nine set up near the cars but under a tree away from the heat for a quick meal of sandwiches and water. 

Chanyeol and Sehun wouldn't let the kids have any of the juice boxes in the back until they'd all drunk some water first. 

" You too Matt," Sehu said holding a bottle of water out to her, " the whole thing please."

" Oh but I already had one of the little bottles earlier," Matt smiled up at Sehun.

" Yes I know," Sehun said, " but, you've had a crazy three days, and somewhere in that brain all these stress hormones are just biding there time, almost like a growing stockpile of stress and if we don't address it now, it's gonna be uncomfortable when whatever's holding that stockpile back breaks. A simple way to lessen that stockpile is to drink some water, as often as we can and as much as we can....."

" Please, just drink the water, because otherwise Dr. Sehun here is going to go full throttle nerd on us if you don't," Chanyeol interrupted as he grabbed the bottle from Sehun and held it out to Matt.

Matt chuckled but accepted the water, the sighed and brought the bottle to her lips as Sehun and Chanyeol both stood in front of her with their arms crossed like mirror images of each other, clearly waiting for her to drink ( and finish) the bottle of water. 

" If it makes you feel any better," Kyungsoo offered from behind the men," they did the same to me and Jongin. Just stood there and watched us chug a whole bottle of water. Slightly creepy,"

Matt snorted softly at that, but did continue to drink the water, even if just to appease the two men grinning down at her.

Once they were satisfied she'd had enough water, the roped a the children into a game of catch. Chanyeol and Sehun switching between being the chasers, and really giving the kids- Jongin and Sehun included a serious run for their money. 

Matt watched from the sidelines, laughing and shaking her head no, when Sehun and Chanyeol tried to rope her into playing with them. 

Matt didn't keep track of how long they stayed out there playing, but it was long enough that the children were visibly exhausted. Chanyeol and Sehun played with them hard to the point where they were physically dragging their feet. 

After having the children play hard for what Matt realized had been about 3 hours, they had the rest of their sandwiches, did a bathroom run, wiped down with baby wipes, then loaded up into their cars. 

The sun was starting to set by that point and the children fell asleep about 30 minutes into their drive. 

" I wondered why you were letting them play," Matt said quietly as she turned back to face the front after checking to see how the children were faring and finding them all completely knocked out. 

" Dr. Sehun's treatment plan for little kids undergoing stressful situations. Force the brain to flush out stress hormones through lots of play and lots of water and lots of sleep, and heaven knows, these little one's have experienced more stressful situations than any little one should have to, and I have a feeling things areo only going to get worse."

That threw Matt for  loop. She honestly hadn't bee expecting quite that level of consideration and care to their wellbeing.

Chanyeol chuckled " why are you so surprised. We promised we'd take care of you as best we could," he said. 

Matt blinked. They had. This was true. But, she still hadn't expected .... well this. 

She honestly didn't know what to say. So for a bit she just said nothing. But then the silence started to bother, and because apparently stress could also make it so one was firing off of only one rational brain cell, Matt said, 

" so if that's Dr, Sehun's treatment plan for kids under stress, what's Dr. Sehun's treatment plan for terrified single women under stress,?"

Chanyeol pursed his lips the said, " we'd have to ask him. But he'd probably say, water and exercise. To be fair, we did try to get you to play catch with us earlier."

Matt nodded. To be fair. They had. And then because she was apparently still only firing off that one braincell she said " oh well, maybe he can work me out a different way later, since I missed out on playing catch."

And then she realized exactly  what she'd said, the innuendo very clearr, the suggestiveness  outright bold and loud.

Chanyeol to his credit simply hummed then said, " I think Dr. Sehun might approve that particular suggestion if you run it by him. Though you should be warned that I might ask him for the honour of assisting in administering said treatment."

Matt groaned, slapping her hands over her face in mortification, as Chanyeol just chuckled, then reached over with one hand to rub her knee. 

" Don't be embarassed, that particular response is also a normal response to stress. But, we're going to be driving for a while, and sleep is also really important so why don't you lean back a little and try and get some sleep. I'll wake you up at our next bathroom stop."

Matt nodded, face still hidden behind her hands and did as Chanyeol suggested. 

She didn't think she'd be able to sleep, or fall asleep for a while, but much like the kids had drifted off to sleep quickly, Matt was also fast asleep about 20 minutes later. 

Chanyeol smiled softly to himself. He couldn't wait to tell Sehun about the conversation he'd just had with their girl. 

Maybe he'd let Sehun drive the van tomorrow. Let Sehun get some time with their girl. 

It was, after all, only fair.