chapter 3

Flu-shot the world down dead

If Matt had hoped that people around her would stop dying after that, she soon found that she was wrong. 

She had to send three children home the next day with fevers so high she almost wanted to call the hospitals for an ambulance and not just their parents. And this was with a class that was already down about a quarter of the students. 

She'd gotten calls earlier that morning when she'd opened the school to let her know that some of the kids were home with fevers, coughs, colds, just basic flu symptoms.So she hadn't really been too surprised by the absences. 

Honestly Matt had just been too overwhelmed with the events of the last few days to really process what was going on around her. Because otherwise the influx of people getting sick around her would have set off alarms. Big alarms. 

The alarms did eventually go off. It just took her a little longer than would have otherwise probably been the case. 

It wasn't til she got home that night that it even occurred to her to call the nearest hospital, clini, firestation or even police station just to report it so there'd at least be documentation of the 'outbreak', isolated though it seemed to be to her school.

So that's what she did. She started by calling the hospital. The nurse she got on the phone was really polite, asked her a lot of questions, even took down the names of the children she had sent home that day. 

" No, I'm at home,so I don't have their parents phone numbers on me, but if you'd like I can call back tomorrow morning as soon as get to work," Matt said.

" If you can, that would be helpful, but if you can't or if you call and are unable to get anybody then don't worry about it either. You've actually done more than enough, in fact more than most would do I think. And now I need to ask you some questions about your own health,"

The nurse asked her how she was feeling. If she'd experienced any flu-like symptoms herself. 

" No fever?"

" No,"

" Headaches?" 

" No"

" Coughing, sneezing? Runny nose?" 

"No, none actually," Matt answered honestly.

" Ok, good, that's good. If you do, please go to your nearest emergency room as soon as possible," the nurse said.

" I will," Matt promised.

After she called the hospital she picked up the phone to call the police department, but then decided maybe it would just be easier, or quicker to just call the number that officer Oh Sehun had given her.

She debated it for a few seconds, then in the end she decided to just call. If he didn't pick up, he didn't pick up, and if he couldn't talk then he couldn't talk.

He picked up,and Matt who hadn't really been expecting him to was caught off guard for a moment.

" Hello, Officer Sehun here,"

" Oh, hello, I'm sorry. Um,yes, this is Mattaleya. We spoke two nights ago. You came to my friends apartment at 901 Cherry Lane...."

" Oh, yes, yes I remember. Is everything ok?" 

" Yes, well no, but yes. I um.. maybe it's nothing, but three more of my students got sick today and after the last two days I.. I just thought it was important that I should... tell someone I guess. I'm sorry, maybe I shouldn't have called?"

" No, no. I'm glad you called me. I gave you my number and considering that the last two people around you to fall sick have died," he said softly, empathetically, " I understand that you'd want to make sure someone knew about your children and their families. You're a good teacher," he said. 

" I don't know, I appreciate you saying that, but maybe I'm being paranoid, or silly," Matt sighed.

" Perhaps. But better paranoid and silly I say, than later regretful wouldn't you think?" 

" Yeah. Yes, I guess so," she said quietly.

Sehun smiled from his end of the phone, then said, " I know it will be hard, but why don't you try and get some sleep.I promise I'll make a note in our emergency calls database about your sick children, this way it will at least have them in our system as well, and if anyone else around you, or even you starts feeling sick, don't hesitate to call me. Ok?"

Matt nodded then realised he couldn't see her.

" Ok. Thank you." she whispered back.

Once she'd hung up, she made her way to her bathroom. She took a quick shower then made her way to bed. Where once in bed, just like Sehun had advised. She slept.

And while she slept, emergency rooms all around the city started to fill up, and emergency responders found themselves as busy as though there were a state championship match on halloween weekend.

Everywhere, people were getting sick. And dying. 

 

Normally, Matt would wake up with just enough time to shower, get dressed and run out of the house. But her internal sleep clock was under duress, from the stress and anxiety of people around her dying and getting sick, so she found herself awake and unable to go back to sleep two hours earlier than she needed to be awake. So she the TV and watched from bed. 

She even caught the morning news.

The morning news that was reporting the alarming number of flu-related deaths that had occurred over the last few days.

Matt sat up. Her attention fully grasped as she listened to the report.

As soon as the report ended Matt jumped up out of bed and rushed to get ready to go to work.

Once she got there she grabbed the list of emergency contacts and started calling parents to tell them that school would not be opened today.

She called and made a note of everyone she spoke to. Made a note of the families she couldn't reach. Then she sent out an email to all the families just as back-up explaining that with the death of her co-worker and supervisor, along with the other children who had fallen ill, and finally with the report on the news, she was making the executive decision to keep the school closed for a few days. She apologised for the inconvenience but safety was her number one concern.

She was thankful that she had an emergency and first aid bag that they kept in the school, which included face masks. She grabbed a few, packed some gloves, slung the backpack on then armed with her list of emergency contacts that she'd marked she made her way to the closest home. 

She intended to visit every home and check on every child. She needed to make sure they were ok. And if they weren't, if, sweet mercy forbid, if they weren't ok, if they were dead, then she needed someone to know when it happened. So she would record it, document it. 

She needed to do something.