chapter 7

Flu-shot the world down dead

" She says there's a curfew in place, and she doesn't recommend we try and drive into the city tonight," Jongin said turning to his friends once he'd hung up on Matt.

" How's your brother?" Kyungsoo asked him.

" He's ok.His teacher, at the preschool, she's with him. My parents are... the flu" Jongin said softly. 

" man, I'm so sorry," Kyungsoo said and meant it.

" Here, try your parents," Jongin passed the phone to Kyungsoo, "I'll see if I can find somewhere to spend the night"

"I see an inn," Kyungsoo suddenly said, " there"

He was pointing to a sign past a turn on the highway. It seemed like their best bet so they drove over. They were lucky. The elderly couple who owned the small establishment offered to let them stay for free once they learned that Jongin was trying to get back into the city to his baby brother.

" We can pay," Jongin and Kyungsoo insisted.

" No. Keep your money boys. Use it to stock up on emergency supplies once you get back on the road," the elderly man said, " things are about to go to hell."

" What do you mean sir?" Jongin asked as he pocketed his money.

" Tell you what boys, why don't you go get your things into your room. Lock your car up, keep your keys close to you and then come over. The Mrs and I will be eating soon. You can eat with us, and I'll tell you what I know. Maybe it will help you, maybe it won't."

Jongin and Kyungsoo nodded. Taking their bags to their room quickly, being sure to, as the man had advised lock their car up and keep the keys close. Then they made their way over to the old man and his wife. 

Over dinner, the man told them what he knew, or what he suspected was going to come.

"I'm old," the man said," old enough that I've served in two wars, I'm a military man, and was up until my retirement about ten years ago."

He explained that he still had some friends in the military, friends that had told him that this curfew wasn't just here. It was in about half the cities in the country. All the major one's at least.

" There's nothing on the news though," Kyungsoo said softly.

" No, no there isn't," the old man agreed, " and that's how you know that has hit the fan. Radio silence is never a good sign.Boys. My suggestion to you. Once you get your brother, get as far away from the city as you can manage. Get as far, far away. Sickness loves densely populated areas. The Mrs and I are gonna pack up the trailer and hit the road at first light. You're welcome to take whatever you want or need.,"

"I don't... I'm not exactly sure what we should or will need in an emergency like this," Jongin said, " and I'm not too proud to ask for advice."

" Water. Lights. Weapons. Non-perishable food items, and gas. We've got extra water and non-perishables in the pantry if you'd like."

" Thank you sir," Kyungsoo and Jongin both said.

" Sweetheart," his wife interrupted, " it's late. We should let these boys get some sleep. "

They agree that it was pretty late, and the old man showed them where the pantry was on their way out.

Early the next morning, Jongin and Kyungsoo grabbed a couple 12 packs of bottle water, then made their way to the city.

Chanyeol was already awake  when Matt woke up the next morning. Awake and cooking breakfast. He had a feeling the power would be going soon, so he was trying to get rid of the perishables.

" Goodmorning," Matt rasped,voice still hoarse from sleep.

" Goodmorning," Chanyeol turned to smile at her, " I hope you don't mind. I found some perishable stuff in your fridge. I'll re-stock later, but there's no telling how long we'll have power, so we probably don't want to keep the fridge stocked."

" Oh.Ok, I didn't even think about that," Matt said, then immediately jumped and clutched at her chest as she heard someone knock at the front door.

" Here," Chanyeol said, " will you watch the eggs and I'll get the door?"

" It's.. it's probably Jongin, um, Baekhyuns older brother," Matt replied as she took the spatula from Chanyeol.

It was Jongin and Kyungsoo. They'd left before sunrise so they could get into the city as soon as curfew broke. 

" You were right Matt," Chanyeol said as he walked back into the room with two college aged boys behind him," this is Jongin, and his friend Kyungsoo. I told him Baekhyun is still asleep."

" Hi," Matt said, " yes.Baekhyun is still asleep. He'll be really excited to see you though. I'm sure it'll be ok if you wake him up."

" Where?" Jongin asked.

" Just right through that door," Matt poiunted behind her.  Jongin walked through, leaving Kyungsoo with Chanyeol and Matt.

" How far did you drive?" Chanyeol asked Kyungsoo.

They'd driven about 500 miles. Kyungsoo's parents were doctors. Both of them. They'd called Kyungsoo and told him to leave, get somewhere safe .

" Where do your parents live?" Matt asked.

" Rahgon," Kyungsoo replied, " they said it was really bad. Made me promise not to come that way. Jongin said I could come with him. So I did"

From the fact that Kyungsoo had spoken with his parents two days before illnesses had started being reported in Matt's city, it meant the flu had been infecting people longer and further than was being reported in the news.Which meant things were a lot worse than everyone assumed.

A lot, lot worse.

" The old man at the inn we spent the night. Told us to get as far away from the city as we could manage," Kyungsoo said quietly.

" He's a smart man," Chanyeol said, " is about to hit the fan. And I don't think we wanna be here when it does."

" But.. the kids.. I can't just take them," Matt said softly," what if someone comes looking for them?"

" Then you leave them a note, like you left for Jongin," Chanyeol said, " but trust me. We need to get the hell out of the city. The sooner, the better."

" You really think it's that bad?"Matt whispered.

" No.I think it's a whole lot worse."