chapter 2

Flu-shot the world down dead

Matt was still shaking. Finding a dead body, more so that of someone she knew and was even a little close to was a hard pill to swallow.

" Hey, miss. Miss are you ok? "

Matt looked up at the police officer and blinked. 

" Um.. " she cleared , " um yeah. I'm sorry, I didn't quite catch what you said."

" That's ok. But here why don't we get you outside for a little bit?" he said.

Matt let him lead her out and to the backyard, just so she didn't have to be in the house where her friends dead body was. 

Once he had her outside he gently asked her some questions.

" When did you last see the deceased?" he asked.

" Um... yesterday. Last night. After work. She said she had a headache. She don't show up to work today. When I called her she said she had the flu. I said I'd bring her some soup. She.. she was fine... I mean not fine, but alive  a few hours ago."

" Do you know if your friend had any other medical issues? Heart disease? Anything like that?" the officer asked.

Matt shook her head, " no. No nothing like that. She.. she was fine. She  just had the flu.  Her family? What do I tell her family? I.." she looked up at the officer with panic in her eyes, " what do I tell her family?"

" Do you have her family's information? Do they live in the city?" the police officer asked her and Matt shook her head.

" No, um...  she came here for college. Her family is from Tehghul if I remember correctly and I don't know their contact information, but I can get it from the files at work. I...um.. her emergency contacts will be on file at work." 

" I know it's late, and I can appreciate that you probably just want to go home and get some rest, perhaps try to work through this, but do you think you could let us into the office tonight. The sooner we can get in touch with her family..." the police officer said, leaving the rest unspoken.

" Oh! Oh my gosh. Yes, yes of course. I mean I'll have to call my supervisor to let her know I'm going into the building after hours, but oh my gosh yes," Matt replied.

Two police officers drove her back to work where she let them into the building having called her supervisor and left an voicemail. The police officers also assured her that they would give her the necessary paperwork so she couldn't be charged with breaking and entering or anything like that. To show that it had been a civic emergency that she allow them into the building.

The police officers took care of calling the family, for which Matt was extremely grateful. She honestly hadn't even known where to start. What would she have said? 

And once they had everything they needed from her the police officers drove her back home. The one officer was really kind. 

" Hey, I know how hard it can be to sleep after finding someone you care for dead. If you find you can't sleep tonight there's a hotline that's open to police officers but they'll also listen to civilians if you tell them you were part of the investigation. You can give them my name if you need to ok?"

Matt nodded and thanked him, making sure to look at his badge carefully even though he'd just given her his name. Once she'd locked her door she slid to the floor and just sat in the dark for a bit. 

She wasn't sure how much time passed like that, but eventually she convinced herself to crawl to the bathroom and take a shower before heading to bed. She never made it into clothes after that. She fell ontop of the covers and still damp, and woke up early the next morning chilled and sneezing. 

She didn't have to rush to work for once in a long time considering how early she woke up. And her commute to work was a lot quicker, as the bus was for some reason half empty, though she didn't think anything of it at the time. 

Getting to work early she autopilot and just did what she always did, getting the pre-school ready for the kids. Once she was done, about thirty minutes before opening time she just sat in one of the chairs and wondered what to tell the kids, or even the parents. Or would her supervisor take care of it. And speaking of her supervisor, Matt was a little surprised that the woman hadn't returned her call yet.

She headed to the back office thinking maybe if she called from the landline her supervisor might answer. But just as she got to the office the phone rang.

" Hello, Bright Start Pre-school Matt speaking," she answered.

" Yes goodmorning. My name is officer Park and I'm calling from 19754 Cohli st. Is this ...." 

Her boss was dead. Found early that morning when a neighbour came to check on her. To say Matt was shocked would have been an understatement. She needed to sit down.

" Um.. how did she die?" she asked quietly.

" It would seem she was unwell as she visited a local clinic late last evening complaining of flu symptoms. She died sometime early this morning," was the response to Matt's question.

" I.... I.. wow. Um.. I don't know if this is relevant, but a coworker of ours also.." she had to clear , to swallow the lump, " also died last night. From flu related symptoms. I... wow. I'm sorry I just need a moment. Ok, so I found my coworkers body last night and I spoke with officer Oh Sehun last night, I.. I don't know if....if that's important."

" No, no it is. Thank you," the officer said, " may I have your name please? "

Matt gave him her name and her information, hung up then just stared at the walls.

 

She couldn't just sit there forever though. With both her supervisor and coworker sick- wait- dead, that just left Matt. She needed to email the parents, she needed to be figure out what she was going to tell the kids. 

And she needed to figure it out quick.

 

Meanwhile officer Park Chanyeol made a quick phonecall.

" Hey Sehun, the case you were on last night,?" Chanyeol said to his friend Sehun.

" Yeah what about it?" Sehun asked.

" Do you know if an autopsy was ordered?" Chanyeol asked.

" Yeah why?" Sehun wanted to know.

" Because I'm working a case right now, the victim is the supervisor of the preschool your victim worked at.Dead of, yeah you guessed it, apparent flu-like symptoms"

" We don't like coincidences," Sehun said.

" No." Chanyeol agreed, " No, we're far too paranoid for that. We do not like coincidences."

 

No sir. They really didn't.