chapter 5

Flu-shot the world down dead

" So based on the fact that neither one of us has been able to get in touch with Junmyeon, how worried do you think we should be?" Chanyeol said to Sehun as Sehun walked into their shared apartment late that night. So late in fact it was more like the buttcrack of early morning.

Both Sehun and Chanyeol had been so busy with emergency calls that they'd both worked double shifts and were now only just getting back home. They'd only have enough time to catch about three, maybe four hours of sleep and then they had to be back at the station.

" I think we both know the answer to that question, at this point it's really only a question of how long before they decide to stop sugarcoating it" Sehun replied., " thanks for taking that call for me by the way."

"You know you don't have to thank me for that. I connected her to the police broadband on her radio by the way. Your girl spent the better part of the day checking on the familues of the children she teaches. She had times, cureent status's, number of people..."

" So she's a regular little epidemiologist?" Sehun interrupted, " also why is she  my girl?"

" Ok fine,  our girl. but yes, she's a regular little epidemiologist, though more by necessity I think. She says she's thinking about moving into the school. Because there were a number of children on her list who weren't sick yet, but whose parent's she doubted would live the night."

" Well damn. We're checking on her," Sehun said as he flopped down onto the couch, sitting next to Chanyeol. 

Chanyeol gave Sehun an unimpressed look. They were obviously going to be checking on her. Did Sehun even need to say it? Seriously? 

" Do we need to stock up on anything?" Sehun yawned.

" Nah," Chanyeol replied. He'd checked their weapons closet when he'd come in. Considering that both he and Sehun had served in the Marines in the same unit, it wasn't too surprising that they had a nice little closet of weapons in their shared apartment. And the first thing Chanyeol had done when he'd gotten home was check it. Checked it and made sure they were stocked for bullets, and other essentials. He hoped they wouldn't be needed, but he had a really bad feeling about this. So did Sehun. And as both he and Sehun agreed, the fact that neither one of them were able to get in touch with Junmyeon, Captain Junmyeon of the Royal Navy Vessel  Black Pearl, was not a good sign. 

Being Sehuns older brother, and Chanyeol's close friend, there was no way Junmyeon would ignore any communication from them, unless his ship was under radio silence, operating under alpha con 1. Meaning the only communication getting through and from the ship would be coming directly from the highest levels of government.

" Chief looked sick when I left," Sehun whispered.

Chanyeol mulled that over, turning to Sehun after a few seconds he asked him, " how are you feeling?"

" Tired. I checked myself for a fever before I came in. I'm good for now."

" How bad is it at the hospitals?" Chanyeol asked him. Sehun had spent most of his shift helping with crowd control and hospital security. Which meant he'd seen a lot more than Chanyeol had.

" Bad," Sehun sighed, "though, from what I've seen, and obviously I'm not the expert, but, it sounds like if you contract it, within 2 hours body temp goes up. Stays elevated for a while, then about 12 hours later you really get sick. Like all the coughing, then the vomitting, then eventually the bleeding out. I've been checking my body temp every two hours. We're good. For now."

Chanyeol nodded and said nothing, though he did have this exasparated look on his face.

" Look, if you are sick, then I'm gonna be washing your and balls til you bleed to death anyway. I'd definitely catch then, so just shut up and let me use your nice shoulders as a pillow. I am so ing tired right now."

Chanyeol snorted, he didn't argue though. He was tired too. So it wasn't really much of a surprise to either of them that the moment they stopped talking for longer than a minute, they fell asleep.

 

Matt got more sleep than Chanyeol and Sehun. But she slept fitfully.Besides the fact that it was a new environment and she was sleeping in a sleeping bag on a couch  it didn't help that she couldn't stop seeing the faces of the dead family she'd found. And her students. Some of them sick, some of them looking scared,and the looks of fear on the parents faces. All of them haunted her, kept her tossing and turning in her sleep. Til eventually the early morning light was filtering through the blinds and the sun on her face woke her up.

Matt sat up and just stared at the window for a few minutes. Almost like she was hoping if she didn't move then maybe the world outside would stop spinning and the terror of a city so sick it was dying faster than they could cure it would stop. She sighed, and reached for her phone after a couple of minutes,and searched for news updates. There were some online, but not too many that said anything new, so she eventually got up and walked over to the small television in the staff room. Turning it on, she watched the news. 

Her heart constricted. 

Sometime during the night while she'd been sleeping, the city had entered a state of emergency. 

Citizens were advised to remain indoors as much as possible. They were advised to cover their mouths and noses if they had to venture outside. They were advised to refrain from sharing food or water, and to wash their hands as much as possible.

If they were experiencing, fever, headaches, runny nose, coughing or vomitting then they were advised to put a white flag in their window, medical personnel would come to them.

Matt in large gasps of air to try and keep herself from having a panic attack. 

Had it really come to that? Had it really come to quarantine and a state of emergency?
 

She didn't know what else to do to calm herself down, so she just headed to the small bathroom and decided to wash up real quick. She was lucky in some ways that this pre-school was one of the better ones, with facilities that included a small shower for teachers thatt may have been puked on to clean up in, or for getting food and paint out of kids' hair.

After her quick shower and getting dressed, she grabbed her notepad, on which before she'd gone to bed last night she'd made a list of items she thought she might need. She was glad she had, because now she didn't even have to think about what she was going to get. She just had to go get it. 

Her first stop was the gas station. She filled all the gas cans she'd been able to find in  the store room then paid for her gas and loaded it up into the back of the van, and then she made her way nervously back to the houses she'd visited yesterday.

She'd help as many people as she could. She just hoped she could help someone.