8

Marshmallow Boy
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Once upon a time, there was a little boy who wanted to play with other kids.

He pleaded to his mother "Umma, could I go out and play?"
Yet the mother could only sighed, caressing the boy's soft hair she replied "No, love. Please don't ask for that again..."
The little boy replied with dissapointment "But I wanted to make a friend,"
"Stop asking that, I am your friend, remember?"

---

The next day came before long, and although Hyukjae was still couldn't shake off about what Ahra had said to him about Seohyun the day before, he didn't want to think about it that much at least until Monday, when he supposed to talk to Kyuhyun about it. From the time he and Seohyun spent together he didn't sense anything strange about her. Moreover, he thought it could be more of Ahra's protective side of Kyuhyun because he is his brother. Nothing else. While he was deep in thought Donghae suddenly leapt onto the kitchen island, smiling at Hyukjae as he tottered to him. 

"Hyuk Hyuk! Look! I made a smiley pancake for you!" 

True to what Donghae said, Hyukjae could see behind him one of the pancake was decorated with a chocolate syrup, a little smiley face with two beads of eyes and a stripe of smiling mouth was created. Seeing what Donghae had made for him, he chuckled a bit, showing his gummy smile. 

"Do you like it?" Donghae asked shyly, and Hyukjae stared at Donghae's eyes, about to answer when he finally realized there is a glint over there he didn't quite notice before. He was stunned for awhile, he knew Donghae's eyes are a shade of his favorite cocoa drink, but he never really paying any attention to them as then and there. His two chocolate orbs seemed more alive than ever, Hyukjae thought he could see stars inside them if he looked more closely. 

Upon realizing Hyukjae freezed for quite some time, a confused Donghae stepped closer carefully and poked Hyukjae's hand that was propped on the table a few times. 

"Hyukjae? What are you thinking? Do you not like my pancake?" little Donghae pouted. He looked down at his pancake, wondering what went wrong of his drawing. He knew he wasn't the best at drawing and the mouth he drew was kind of slanting a little bit, but he hoped Hyukjae sees past it. Behind him Hyukjae groaned loudly all of a sudden, startling little Donghae, "Donghae I really love your smiley pancake! But please, stop becoming so adorable you made me want to actually eat you just now..."

Seeing Hyukjae now covered his face with both of his hands, little Donghae gasped and ran away in a spurt of panic and sat at the pancake mix box Hyukjae left lying around on the table. He sat in silence, hoping if he stayed quiet it will prevent the marshmallow monster from eating him, because as much as he liked Hyukjae, he still wasn't sure he wanted to be devoured. This marshmallow monster... Sometimes still scared him quite a bit.

After a few seconds of silence, Hyukjae finally opened his eyes and saw Donghae sitting quietly on a box while once or twice moved his dangling legs, he sighed. Yes Donghae is too adorable for his own good. At this point he wondered if he could just surrender his fragile heart to Donghae on a platter. 

With a huge smile on his face, Hyukjae started to eat the pancakes. He looked quite amused and cannot stop smiling even after he finished chewing, "Could you draw me a smiley face pancake everyday from now on," he said after he swallowed his last bite, hearing that Donghae laughed and answered "I will if I could see you smile too. Like my pancakes," Hyukjae agreed wholeheartedly while chuckling. He put up his pinky finger, and Donghae knew to seal it with his hand as a sign to keep his promise.

After he had done eating his breakfast, Hyukjae washed the dishes. While he was tidying the dishes he suddenly called Donghae, who was sitting down in front of the TV watching some cartoons. "Donghae, Seohyun will be here today, please behave and keep yourself hidden ok? I am not very into the idea introducing you to her just yet... I just, I don't know," hearing that Donghae walked over to Hyukjae in his small steps. "I promised you I will behave Hyuk, don't worry... Have a good time tonight Hyukkie..." 

Sometimes Hyukjae was thinking how life is so easy with Donghae, although he technically is not a human being. But Donghae listens, and it helped that he's also had a very soft sense of humour that Hyukjae loved, he thought to himself. Until now he still couldn't figure out how everything just clicked so easily with Donghae that he didn't quite get with Kyuhyun, even after years becoming his roommate. What was it that made their friendship more special than any of his other friendships before?

---

Hyukjae was cleaning the dishes as he recalled his conversation last night with Seohyun, she called him last night to inform him that she's coming to his apartment this weekend, when suddenly the doorbell rang. He quickly told Donghae to hide at the kitchen cupboard inside the marshmallow jar. And so that was how most of the day went by, Donghae was inside the marshmallow jar all day while Hyukjae and Seohyun were chatting, watching TV, and having lunch together. It was already dark when Hyukjae opened the cupboard and found Donghae rolled himself into a ball inside the marshmallow jar.

"Psst, Hae, I am just checking on you. Are you ok all alone? It seemed Seohyun will stay the night today. I'm saying...you might need to be here all night is it ok for you? She just went into the bathroom just now. So I thought I had to ask you, if you're uncomfortable I will just, er... ask her to leave?"

Upon hearing that Hyukjae was thinking for his sake instead of himself, Donghae is very touched. Although inside his mind he did want Seohyun to leave so that he could stay in Hyukjae's room, he couldn't help to burst Hyukjae's bubble, seeing him so happy. He silently told himself to not be selfish. After all, he could be with Hyukjae all week, while Seohyun could only be here for a short while. He should not be selfish.  

"No Hyukjae, it is absolutely ok! It is your place Hyukjae please treat it as such!" Donghae giggled, "I will be fine inside this jar, don't worry about me, I am not a kid." He added sticking out his tongue, which made Hyukjae grinned, since Donghae just proved he was really a child. Sticking out his tongue like that.

"Thank you Hae, I really appreciate it..." Hyukjae gave Donghae's head a peck before he closed the jar and closed the cupboard. He heard Seohyun was coming out of the bathroom door by the time he closed the cupboard. However the next question she uttered was the one he wouldn't ever predicted.

"Oppa who did you talk to?"

Hyukjae beamed, "What do you mean? I'm talking to you right now,"

"Just now... Who did you talk to? When I was in the bathroom? I heard you talked to someone..."

Hyukjae thought hard and afterwards he could only remembered that cute video Siwo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter