5

Marshmallow Boy
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

That particular special day in February (Donghae knew this since he saw the calendar marked with a little red heart on it) finally came. Donghae came to know that Hyukjae had a plan to have a dinner with Seohyun.

Earlier he asked Hyukjae what special occasion there was that day, something that made  Hyukjae seemed so bubbly and beaming with each hour passed. He was arranging some decoration for his apartment in all shades of soft pink. If Donghae had to compare the colour, it would be like those strawberry milk. Pink ribbons, pink heart balloons, pink candles on the dinner table, with two sets of white plates and saucers. For once Donghae felt it out of place since Hyuk never use the colour pink that much and curious what had changed his mind. Hyukjae explained to him slowly that it's a Valentine's Day. Donghae lifted one of his eyebrows up and asked 'Valentine's Day? How is it different than any other day?' Hyukjae explained to him slowly of what day it was and how important that day was for couples like him and Seohyun, but then Donghae scratched his head and asked him the question 'why do you need a Valentine's Day when you can tell you love someone everyday?' Hyukjae beamed, he was not sure either how to answer, so he answered exactly that with a chuckle and a nudge to Hae's arm. Which made Donghae frowned in thought.


Hyukjae was not much of a cook since he was in college, much of his food are either taste bland or too salty (Kyu has the word for it since he often be Hyukjae's taste-tester of all his cooking  'experiments'). He still cooks occassionally to impress some girls, but then he gave up trying to cook after he almost set Kyu's apartment on fire one day. Kyuhyun warned him if he ever get near the stove again he would call the police, so Hyukjae decided to not rile Kyuhyun up. From his past experiences, Kyuhyun's threats are not to be taken lightly.


Without a decent cooking skills, for the Valentine's Day dinner Hyukjae decided to just order some steak and pasta from a cafe near his apartment complex. This might not sound romantic but Hyukjae reckoned that it's a better option than having Seohyun went home with a stomach problem after eating what he had to cook.


Seohyun came into his apartment at around 7 pm. Donghae had been hidden somewhere inside the cupboard as usual, hidden but he still can see clearly what happened since he begged to Hyukjae to open the cupboard a little bit for some light to seep in. He was not fond of dark places ever since he was inside the carton box for a long time, a thought of dark places and going back inside the carton box made him shiver. So there he was staying the whole night, listening to Hyukjae and Seohyun's chatter and sometimes laughter echoing inside the room. He sat still on the cupboard, desperately wanted to have a peek but he always decided against it. His main reasoning was because he knew Hyukjae would not be pleased.


After three hours of doing absolutely nothing he finally decided to open the cupboard and let himself out. After all, he's pretty sure Hyukjae will be too occupied with chatting he would not realized Donghae had taken a peek.

He opened the cupboard door wider just enoughfor him to slip, and jumped to the floor. He ran and climbed the kitchen island fast. Arriving at the top of the table, what he saw just struck him.

He saw Hyukjae pressed his lips to Seohyun tenderly. Her arms around his neck and he had his hand caressing her blushing cheek.

Donghae gulped. He thought he had interrupted something private, and so he tiptoed fast to climb down the table, and going back to where he was sitting all night long, cold and dark inside the cupboard. He tried to get rid of the image of Hyukjae kissing from his little head, but no matter how he tried, his mind still wandered to the kiss. He touched his own mouth and pondered how it feels like to be kissed. He always loved Hyukjae's plump lips and wondering what it would taste-- no no, Donghae, stop thinking, he reminded himself while shaking his head in order to make the image go away. When it didn't work he closed his eyes shut and banged his head to a canned sardines beside him.


He didn't know how much time has passed with him sitting still inside the cupboard before he felt the cupboard is opened slowly from outside, he heard Hyukjae's voice saying 'It's me, you can come out now Donghae'.

Donghae got up hearing Hyukjae's voice and walked out of the cupboard, mind is still drifting away while he walked to Hyukjae's hand and climbed to his shoulder. Hyukjae smiled, his cheek flushed red, "How are you baby?" he nudged Hae's cheek, Donghae groaned and frowned in protest of the endearment term, but he could not stop staring at Hyukjae's lips.

Hyukjae, feeling Donghae a bit quiet, asked him in concern, "Donghae? Are you ok?" Donghae teared his eyes from the sight of Hyuk's lips and looking down, staring at nothing in particular. Hyukjae had a feeling that Donghae has a mood change, getting puzzled at his friend's behaviour.


"Donghae...Hey, look at me" he took Donghae into his palm to see him more easily. "I'm sorry you had to stay inside the cupboard, it must be so boring..." Donghae wanted to answer no, since he was a marshmallow, boring was never an option for him, (although technically he was bored as hell earlier) but then Hyukjae would ask him what he were doing and he could not explain what he saw earlier without making Hyukjae mad. He also didn't like to lie either. So he decided to just smile.


"It's okay Hyukjae. Don't worry about me, I'm okay. See?" he smiled widely. If Hyukjae notice something different he didn't seem to let it show, so he c

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter