1

Marshmallow Boy
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Donghae never sleeps. He just doesn't need one. Being a marshmallow just gave him an advantage of not having to eat or drink or sleep. Or feeling tired.


To be honest he didn't know how he turned up to be a marshmallow. One day he just woke up inside something that he realized it now as a carton box. It was just dark and cold at that time, and he was surrounded by many other marshmallows, but they didn't look like him. They didn't move, they didn't have any limbs and legs, and they didn't respond when he tried to talk to them. He just felt, so lonely. He didn't know how much time passed that he sat on the dark corners on his box when he felt the box moved. It moved around so much little Donghae was started to get annoyed. He was started to think he will be going crazy if this tossing and turning would go on for the rest of his...life? but then he heard a man's voice. Talking.


"Oh hey Siwon! what's up," Donghae beamed. He listened further by putting his soft ear on the carton box.
"Yeah, just got home from the supermarket. Bought some stuff."
"Oh yeah! Please! Come around if you like. Help me unpack. Geez look at all these boxes, it feels like I would never finish unpacking," the sound seemed getting distant as the man chuckled. Donghae was startled by the sound but it's a good sound. He decided later he liked hearing it.
"Ok cool. See you later then," Donghae heard a little beep noise then he heard a little thud like there was something is being put on a surface.
Donghae sat up straight. The moving just stopped since awhile ago. He reckon that someone he heard talking before was taking him somewhere. Or rather, taking the-carton-box-with-him-in-it somewhere. Since the box is not moving anymore, Donghae decided to relax a bit by laying down on the fluffy marshmallows. He snuggled his body a little. Making himself buried and surrounded with other marshmallows on top of him. He smiled, for once in his life wondering where life would take him.


---


He already knew he didn't need sleep. But what surprised him is that he can tune out the rest of the world if he wants to.

He didn't know how long he had laid down covered by other marshmallows, when suddenly the carton box was moving again. He heard a noise of something is being ripped, he thought it was the carton box being opened from the outside, since he could started seeing the light seeping in through the box. At first the light was just a little line, but then the light was gradually getting more visible. Afraid, Donghae dug and buried himself deep further into his marshmallow 'friends'. Praying he won't be found by that someone he heard talking earlier. He closed his eyes. After a bit he felt the box being tilted to one side and Donghae opened his eyes in panic. What is happening? he felt his body fell with all of his marshmallow friends. He wanted to scream but it seemed nothing came out of his mouth.
Then all of a sudden he landed smoothly on top of the other marshmallows, while continued being buried by the others. There is a light movement before a thud and the moving stopped again. Donghae crawled around in between all of his friends. He tried to adjust his dark accustomed eyes to look around the much lit room. He was inside a glass vessel now. It took time for him to adjust his eyes more. He squinted around and see that the glass vessel he was in was put on the table on a kitchen. He realized then that he was put inside a jar. There are cream coloured cupboards in the room, beside the cupboard he could see a calendar. He squinted a little and crawled closer,pressing his face on the cold glass surface to have a look. the dates have been crossed out half of the month. He could made out that day's date as 19 March 2016.


---


When Donghae was bored (which is practically almost everyday), he would bury himself inside the marshmallows and observing Hyukjae. That's the name of the owner of this place. At least that's what he reads on the name card put on the table right before his jar, the other day.

The card says "Lee Hyukjae, Exhibitor", with Hyukjae's photo on it (Hyukjae was having a blue hair on the photo, much different to his black hair Donghae often saw him around nowadays). He was yet to know what exhibitor means. He often saw Hyukjae going in and out of the rooms, taking in or out big rectangular shaped thing-y, mostly bigger than his size of the body and he wondered how this Hyukjae man could be so strong. He pondered a bit of how he himself would look like if he were a man instead of a... A sigh escaped him.


---


Most of his days were spent in silent. Hyukjae was not a man of many friends too. He thought just maybe, Hyukjae is a little bit lonely, just like him. His days were usually a bunch of routines, he would often have breakfast in the morning, go out, back to the place when it was around 3 PM, sometimes having a nap, sometimes he phoned some people, then he went out again. He often would go home at around 9 PM, plopping himself on a sofa. Sometimes he would stay there until morning, sleeping. Sometimes he would go to the kitchen, making a hot chocolate, before entering his room and not coming out until morning.


This kind of routine, perhaps was the reason why he was very confused on the 4th day of April, suddenly there

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter